Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Double Standards

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Had to laugh at what I read, from a reliable source, another cracking decision come to last weekend. As we saw on Sunday, in scoring or perhaps prior to scoring, Romero (Spuds) , suffered from concussion, resulting in him being substituted. Because Tottenham had not filled in the paper work correctly, they could not make a concussion substitute.
Meanwhile, at the Amex on Saturday, a Luton player wore a head band with the word 'Nike' on it. Apparently this contravenes EPL/FA rules and they , Luton , were sanctioned......amazed !!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Had to laugh at what I read, from a reliable source, another cracking decision come to last weekend. As we saw on Sunday, in scoring or perhaps prior to scoring, Romero (Spuds) , suffered from concussion, resulting in him being substituted. Because Tottenham had not filled in the paper work correctly, they could not make a concussion substitute.
Meanwhile, at the Amex on Saturday, a Luton player wore a head band with the word 'Nike' on it. Apparently this contravenes EPL/FA rules and they , Luton , were sanctioned......amazed !!
But these two things aren’t like for like, mate?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reads like consistent following of bureaucratic ruels.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Double (BR) Standards
IMG_6803.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What’s the double standard?

Spurs were punished because they didn’t do the correct paperwork so they couldn’t make a concussion sub and had to use a regular substitution (it also used one of their 3 substitution windows).

Luton were punished for a player not following kit rules.

Both teams were punished for their mistakes, so where is the double standard?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Spurs were punished because they didn’t do the correct paperwork so they couldn’t make a concussion sub and had to use a regular substitution (it also used one of their 3 substitution windows).

Lol the guy has just said above he gives up. Let’s not kick a man while he’s down.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They eat like pigs both of them

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't think they were doing concussion substitutes this season?

Refused in January

Further refusal in March

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m struggling to see the link between those two things or the double standards.
I read it and thought Tony Bloom's poor judgment is why Moises left Boca Juniors and signed for Arsenal rather than join Brighton.

Which is why VAR has to go. It's destroying the game.

(This all reminds me of some of the uni coursework re-sits I marked today. It wasn't emotional).

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Refused in January

Further refusal in March
Those proposals relate to temporary substitutions (ie where a player comes on temporarily, and not necessarily for the remainder of the match).

The "permanent" concussion substitution (where a substitution made is deemed to be due to concussion and effectively doesn't count as a substitution) is still in place.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Refused in January

Further refusal in March
Yes they're not doing the temporary sub like in rugby where you can come back on after a HIA.
You do however get a "free" sub in event of concussion/suspected concussion and the other team gets given an extra sub too for fresh legs fairness (though I don't think they get an extra window)
Spurs filled the wrong form out on the bench so it was a regular substitution and neither they nor the opponent got the extra sub.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I just presumed that Spurs deliberately didn’t make it a flagged concussion substitutio, because they didn’t want him to have to miss their next game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here