Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Double barrel names

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
I have one but inherited it when I got married.....we asked my husbands parents if we could drop one of the names but they were not at all happy with that suggestion, so I'm stuck with it.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
I know at least three men who've added their partner's surname on to their own when they got married.

(Two married to women, the other a civil partnership with another guy). There have been a couple of footballers who've taken their wives' names too, one was Ian Thomas-Moore & I forget the other.

Chavvy

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Double barrelled names proliferated in Victorian times, when it became fashionable to glamorise ordinary and common surnames such as Smith, Jones, Brown, White, Green, Williams, Clarke, Baker, Evans etc. It was pure affectation. It is quite interesting to see how many Smith, Jones and Browns there are who are hyphenated.
I met a Nigel Whimpenny-Smith once.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't get the whole thing with taking the mans name when you get married. If it rolls off the tounge better I'd have no problem taking a womens surname after marriage. If that pisses any of my family off they can kiss my arse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here