Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Double barrel names

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think that is becoming a lot more common nowadays. I know a fair few women who have kept their own surname when they marry simply because it is easier in their work life/career.[/QUOTE
My first wife kept my surname so she doesn't want anything to do with that (quite rightly) plus she wants to carry on her family name.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He's was born Jake Caskey & has not married a Foster...I've really no idea why his name shouldn't still be his birth one

He wanted to show some respect to the man who jas brought him up most of his life. I think its a lovely gesture to make to his step dad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think that is becoming a lot more common nowadays. I know a fair few women who have kept their own surname when they marry simply because it is easier in their work life/career.

Frau Tubthumper kept her name. Neither of us saw any point in her changing it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where I worked a little while ago, we had a customer whose surname was Hyphen-Hyphen, it must have been done by deed poll.

What was their first name?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I know at least three men who've added their partner's surname on to their own when they got married.

(Two married to women, the other a civil partnership with another guy). There have been a couple of footballers who've taken their wives' names too, one was Ian Thomas-Moore & I forget the other.

We essentially did this. My wife particularly wanted to carry on her name due to personal reasons so we went double barrelled when we married also with a view to our child having the same surname as us both - which she has :)

No shame in it imo

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I hate them and would have changed my name if I had been given one of those. The tripled barreled ones are just snobbishness.

It's not snobbishness. It was often done as a prerequisite to inheriting land through a will.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It's not really relevant to this but my middle name is my mother's maiden name. It has often been done in our family and I think it's nice - it keeps a woman's name alive for one more generation at least.

I've done the same with both of my sons.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I know an Anne-Marie Denham-Staples-Jones.

A friend of mine, called Linda Harrison, married a bloke named Charles Pinder. To avoid her being called Linda Pinder, the newlyweds changed their names to Harrison-Pinder.

:lol:
Spoilsports

Reminds me of Alan Partridge, 'Wanda, you know, if you married Glen you'd be Wanda Ponder. But that's not going to happen...'

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I know at least three men who've added their partner's surname on to their own when they got married.

(Two married to women, the other a civil partnership with another guy). There have been a couple of footballers who've taken their wives' names too, one was Ian Thomas-Moore & I forget the other.

Years ago there was an Ian Storey-Moore playing for Notts Forest who cut it back to Ian Moore later when he went to Man U (I think).

The present MP for Brighton Kemptown used to be known as Simon Radford-Kirby when he was just a Councillor in the Hastings area. Now he's:

http://www.simonkirby.org/

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I read somewhere that Colin Kazim Richards got his when his father registered the birth. He should have been Colin Richards with Kazim as his middle name but the registrar put Kazim Richards as double barrelled and it wasn't noticed until much later.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here