Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Don't Pay - Energy Bill Strike Movement

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What I mean by regulated hedging is a national strategy for hedging. Retail companies have been guilty of under hedging. Many appear to have taken a commercial decision not to hedge, motivated by speculation, hope and fear of differing from the crowd and therefore penalized in their stock price. This is not a sector of the market that should be competing. Regulation means pooling the risk and having a transparent hedging strategy. We can’t be insulated from global prices but we can manage the risk better. I might be wrong but you seem to be implying we could lower energy prices in some way. Realistically this can only be achieved by lowering demand. Look at what has happened to Germany as an example of the problem being supply not price. They are entering a period of energy rationing because the problem is access to supply not managing prices downwards. We also have to reduce our demand if we have any hope of removing reliance on fossil fuel sources as these are the highest cost and are called on last by the grid. Reduce demand and the consequence will be a green economy and eventual lower prices.

The government had an obsession the retail market was making huge margins when that it wasn't the really the case, they encouraged lots of cowboys to enter the market that were opportunists and didn't have the resources to hedge, then prices spiked and the public purse has been left to pay the bill. Bulb being the worse example. I think we actually have few players now than before privatisation

Right now we're spending £50B + year on imported energy, we need begin our energy independence to remove us from the exposure of global markets and delivery of profit to shareholders.

7 years ago we sold off our own green investment bank to MacQuarie of Australia, just ridiculous.

A revolution will take a decade or two but we need to begin the process.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Southern Water, I pay twice a year DD for what I owe. Water meter and all that. My bills are around £250 making £500 a year. They sent me a letter telling me they were going to change this to £80 a month. Current costs are £45 a month so why nearly double it? Women on phone not happy when I said no.

Contact my gas and electricity supplier a few ago, as they wanted to almost double my monthly DD, i spoke to them and said to keep my DD the same as i now pay.

I said that any extra gas or electricity that i have used and my DD not covers it, then they will have to take me to court over the balance.

I was advised that alot if people are doing the same, they can afford the DD as it is now but not the extra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here