[News] Don’t ask for big pay rises people, FFS

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I started my new job just over 7 months ago, I started taking on a lot of extra responsibilities as well as looking after other staff. I felt like I deserved a pay increase so approached my bosses and explained why I thought I deserved it, outlined all the processes I performed that were outside of my job description, explained I was happy to take on whatever was thrown my way but it needed to be reflected in my salary, and then left it with them. They came back to me with a promotion and 20% pay increase.
Maybe I'm just extremely lucky as I do have very good managers who know what I'm worth and I also work in an industry that has flourished during Covid.
No matter where I've worked, if I feel my salary isn't representative of the work I do, I will always have that conversation with my manager. Worst they can do is say no, but they may also pleasantly surprise you.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Self employed and certainly wont be getting paid more in the near future. Happily I'm near the end of my working life and mortgage is paid off.

2nd job as an hourly paid Part Time University Lecturer may pay me more in the next couple of but I'm not getting too excited...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Work in the public sector. Haven’t had a pay increase in real terms in about a decade. Won’t be getting another one for the foreseeable future. Only the pension keeping me there - and it’s now at the point that isn’t really enough of an incentive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Got my 2nd payrise in 10 years at my company last month. 10% so not bad in itself - but doesn't really make up for the near continuous pay freeze. Woo Hoo, I suppose.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’m currently negotiating one on the basis of absolutely working my balls off trying to recover after lockdowns. See no shame in that and expecting one to be agreed.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Whole company gets a minimum of 4% where I am every year. Not sure how sustainable that is though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Some of us that employee people struggle to find the money for constant rises especially when you stayed open, worked all hours will staff worked at home, didn’t furlough people, didn’t claim anything knowing the shit storm ahead when the magic money pot had to be re filled. It was great hearing about people working and claiming all handouts, seeing the masses sitting in the sun. Blame the many piss takers in this country because not all employers are the enemy. I kept going paid tax claimed **** all and still have given pay rises and it’s now expected. Cost of living rises hit us all but some people should look in the mirror and blame themselves.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is this what Michael Gove was talking about when he said you guys were 'levelling up"? :lolol:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Was told today, we are getting 3%, which is better than nothing, but given the rate of inflation, an effective cut in real terms.

Me too. My company are also starting to bring in actual overtime pay, something hospitality has never done. Meaning I'll get paid for working over my salaried hours for the first time in my life!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Some companies will react to the current situation and realise they have to give payrises this year or risk losing staff.

I am fortunate that I don't need a payrise to make ends meet, but having only had one cost of living rise in the last ten years, am one of many who has seen my alary decrease in real terms.

I wouldn't be surprised if my company decide to not give their higher earners a payrise this year, but opt to give a substantial percentage rise to it's lower paid staff.
That is the area where we are at real risk of seeing skilled people walk away to take advantage of the current increase in non-skilled salaries.

Fritz the Cat

Jan 6, 2022
large pay hikes are inflationary, increase costs and wipe out the effects of interest rate rise. of course difficult for people think about that when they're looking at their personal costs going up. a reason for 20 years of low inflation has been keeping wage increases moderate from expanded labour supply, going to be tricky to contain now.
Pay increases are not inflationary if they are matched by increases in productivity which reduce unit costs. It's interesting that those who normally proselytize on the wonders of the market economy are less enthusiastic when it comes tp the labour market. Instead of recognising that if there is a shortage of labour it's price must rise they resort to moralising and pleas for 'moderation.' How 'moderate' it is to cut real wages [ie wages below the rate of inflation] at a time when people's living costs are going through the roof is open to question.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Your not alone I’ve lost count of the amount of jobs I have to try and get through. The other day I priced a job as the guy kept bugging me for about a week I priced it on £1000 a day Labour thinking he’s never going to go for it. Sunday night the reply email came in. A bit more than he expected but when could I start :facepalm:
Tomorrow I expect![emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
We lost a cost engineer (engineer not a manager) from my multi-billion programme this week. He’s off to Hinckley Point C on £105,000!! Worlds gone mad

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
There comes a point where pay has been squeezed as far as it realistically can. If you’ve been giving below inflation pay rises each year, there comes a point that you have to give above inflation pay rises, otherwise, once people have cut the niceties like their Netflix subscriptions, the next thing that has to go is e.g. the car. If your staff live and work in Brighton or London, no drama, public transport is great. Those are the only two cities I’ve lived in where the transport system has worked properly though. And even then staff might have caring responsibilities that take them out of town.

If your staff need to run a vehicle to reliably get to work on time, your refusal to increase pay hurts you in terms of swathes of staff not being present when the train or bus gets cancelled. Or having to move premises to a place on the public transport network.

Above inflation pay rises aren’t so painful when inflation is at 2%, but when inflation is sneaking up toward 8% then pay rises need to hit the 10% mark to be positive. Most employers have been giving at or below inflation pay rises for a decade. And that was their choice to do that. Your employees have slowly been becoming poorer.

You can choose not to increase pay, but the EU labour tap has been turned off, if there are employers out there who need staff desperately, they will offer higher pay. Staff retention may be a problem unless you’ve created a great working environment.

I think if your staff are working 40hr weeks and still struggling to buy groceries or heat their homes, they may begin to question what they’re doing it for. All but the kids have grown up in an environment where working brought a comfortable lifestyle, as it should. Demanding that the work continues, but the rewards for work cease seems a difficult sell. If there’s no reward, what’s the incentive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’ve just started the budgeting process for next FY. The biggest imponderable, and largest cost increase variable, is the average pay rise. I can make an argument for anything between 0 and 6%. Oh joy.

I work for Babcock, providing services for the MOD.
They took over from Serco and severely cut a lot of extras, like overtime and allowances.
Pay rises are very hard to negotiate, and blood out of a stone, gets mentioned a lot.
So with the intended NI and energy rises, ots going to be a tough year.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Wouldn't say it's inflation busting but expecting a 3-4% increase.
The other half had just 2% confirmed which won't even offset the cost of living increases but not complaining.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Believe we are getting 4-5% across the company. I'm a firm believer that if you feel undervalued and after sensible discussions with management and they refuse to budge then its time to move on (appreciate not feasible for everyone though) Don't undervalue yourself. look at the market, if others are paying better for similar roles then that can contribute towards the discussions

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Having watched The Decade The Rich Won (it’s on iPlayer) thanks to the billions pumped into Quantitative Easing since the financial crash the rich have become richer whilst the vast majority are poorer.
Thanks to Brexit, in many parts of the UK there is a shortage of labour so supply and demand dictates that wages must rise or people will move jobs. Not a massive fan of the market economy as based on survival of the fittest but for the Bank of England to ask for wage restraint after the cash they have spunked is complete bollocks.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having watched The Decade The Rich Won (it’s on iPlayer) thanks to the billions pumped into Quantitative Easing since the financial crash the rich have become richer whilst the vast majority are poorer.
Thanks to Brexit, in many parts of the UK there is a shortage of labour so supply and demand dictates that wages must rise or people will move jobs. Not a massive fan of the market economy as based on survival of the fittest but for the Bank of England to ask for wage restraint after the cash they have spunked is complete bollocks.

To be fair I think he was just responding to a straight question. I haven’t seen the documentary but I agree with your analysis of the rights and wrongs of quantitative easing. Unfortunately it is the wrong people that have to pick up the tab. The thing is that in certain parts of the economy there do need to be wage rises. Brexit has simply highlighted the need and also the similar moral repugnance of an economy that relies upon unlimited supplies of cheap foreign labour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports