Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Don’t ask for big pay rises people, FFS

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are SOME industries / companies that have done very, very well over the past two years.

Some have had a disastrous two years.

Who you work for and what industry you are in will very much determine what your wage increase will be.

For example, lots of tradesmen friends now getting £220-£250 a day compared to £150-£180 a couple of years ago.

Good for them - they're skilled and have learnt their trade and have a skill that's in high demand - helped of course by a lack of qualified labour.

That comes down to a broken education system (Going back decades, not just the last few years) where kids are told it's all about academic results rather than learning a trade. That's a discussion for another time though.

You're completely correct of course but there are some industries doing well who need people with "brain skills" who are also struggling to find the right people.

I work in IT, specifically in digital access and specifically in a few niche industries which are growing like Topsy, especially after Covid when everyone is looking at getting business from younger people and those stuck at home, as well as enabling their own staff to WFH and have 24/7 availability,

People who are not offered a rise are looking around and companies are struggling to get decent people. I've been contacted by two head hunters in 2022 already (and told them where to go as I'm happy). That's not a boast - I imagine every single person on LinkedIn with similar experience has had the same.

Meanwhile other industries are in recruitment or pay freeze (or both).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Amazing isn’t it? I thought the purpose of a Union was to look after the interests and well being of their members - well it was when I was working. :shrug:

Over 1000 members locally, 30 turn up to meetings, and idiotic motions are passed by 25 votes to 5. That's how our boycott passed. Nobody really cares anymore. My local shop steward is a nice enough lad but is a member of the SWP. Dinosaurs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
What is wrong with these morons? Most of us are hoping not to get pay cuts, not thinking about asking for “big pay rises”. I can’t imagine how my boss would respond if I asked him for any sort of pay rise, let alone a big one, but the final answer will 100% be no. No-one at our place has had any increase in remuneration since before COVID, and for most of us 2 years before COVID, and there is absolutely no chance of one for the next 12 months at least.

Don't ask for a big pay rise, warns Bank of England boss https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60206564

We worked all the way through Covid out and about in Shops/factories/basically anywhere Covid Central. Home working its just not possible, no payrise last year only a bonus, this year we have accepted 7 percent and its what we deserve.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We worked all the way through Covid out and about in Shops/factories/basically anywhere Covid Central. Home working its just not possible, no payrise last year only a bonus, this year we have accepted 7 percent and its what we deserve.

I guess I’m in the wrong job then, I worked throughout COVID, exceeded my targets over the two years, and won’t be getting anything other than the knowledge I still have a job.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I guess I’m in the wrong job then, I worked throughout COVID, exceeded my targets over the two years, and won’t be getting anything other than the knowledge I still have a job.

I think you might have answered your own question.

I moved to a totally new industry at the age of 51.

If your being held back in promotion and renemeration look around, it costs nothing to apply for a job.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We're having the same problem. Ours is needed for insurance because the mains water comes underneath the house from the meter. We had a leak from it, which has been repaired, but we have concrete floors which are wet in the kitchen. When looking at the tiles, they had bitumen underneath which was tested for asbestos. This has been going on since November.
Tiles now removed, asbestos dealt with (by insurance company contractors) and dryers installed.
Can we get a quote from a tiler or kitchen fitter? It's like getting blood out of a stone. Calls ignored, although two have visited but no one has given us a quote yet.

Hi.
I checked the availability of a wall/flooring tiler. What sort of tiles do you need laying?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He can do mid March. Not bad imho, given your predicament.

His work is quality, he retiled our bathroom.

If you’re interested, I’ll pm you his name & mobile number.

Next stop, seeing if a chippy is available for the kitchen fit.:lol:

Yes please.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Your not alone I’ve lost count of the amount of jobs I have to try and get through. The other day I priced a job as the guy kept bugging me for about a week I priced it on £1000 a day Labour thinking he’s never going to go for it. Sunday night the reply email came in. A bit more than he expected but when could I start :facepalm:

Profiteer!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Telling people not to ask for a pay rise only works if it's one of a "basket" of measures including utility price freezes and rent control. If people's bills and costs have gone up then they may well need to ask for a raise.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Telling people not to ask for a pay rise only works if it's one of a "basket" of measures including utility price freezes and rent control. If people's bills and costs have gone up then they may well need to ask for a raise.

This x 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not the exorbitant salaries and pay-rises of Britain's CEOs, it seems.

Bosses: "We want a £5 million salary". Sure, you deserve it. Here you are, no probs.
Workers: "We want a £5 wage rise" You greedy ****. Be grateful you've got a job, and stop causing inflation.
Reminds me of the Albion, enjoy your huge salary Mr B but an extra £50k outlay on Spurs tickets for the pond life (us lot) christ no you lot are taking the piss we aren’t made of money,

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Landlords needs to stop hiking up rents, then people wouldn’t need to beg for pay rises to pay them. This is why lower paid people are struggling.
For many, there is little to spend at all after rent, bills and food.

Just to put my landlord hat back on for a few seconds. Instinctively this may make sense but in defence of the landlord and all that.... Landlords cannot increase the rent of a tenant on a periodic tenancy willy nilly, on fixed term tenancy they can't do it at all. In any case, most landlords would value a reliable long term tenant much higher than a hike in the rent. As an example, it will easily cost me £1k in fees and minor refurbishments between tenancies (sometimes a lot lot more) so a) I don't like the idea of increasing the rent but b) It doesn't make financial sense generally. I have 1 set that have been in Worthing for at least 6 years and I think it's gone up £50 (from £950 to £1,000) in this time. I have a tenant in Swansea who's been there 5 years, rent has never changed. Rent is a big cost for people but it's far less variable than other costs such has fuel & food etc, as we are seeing.

In between tenancies is a little more tricky. If, as is the case in Swansea, rents have increased substantially, it is quite problematic not to ask for the 'market' rent. The going rate for a 3 bed terrace (which most of mine are) in the those areas of Swansea is about £750 per month, if I ask for £650, I miss out on the right tenants and I've had some really sh!t ones!! It's the same as buying a house, if someone sees a place that is substantially cheaper, they're going to ask, why? All that said, my costs don't stand still either so at some point, rents need to rise....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here