Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donny v Brighton Supporters Match (players needed)

Rigoglioso

Nov 7, 2006
Donny
Just a quick message to say thanks to all your lads for making it a great game yesterday. You were the better of the two teams certainly in the first half, and won almost every header going. In the second half we made it interesting at 2-1, but then whne you edged back to a couple of goals clear it was a slight forgone conclusion who was going to win. Really enjoyed it though, and hopefully we will be able to arrange something similar for when we play you later in the season. Hope you all enjoyed it.

I'm putting a match report on the DROS over the next few days, so will post the link on here when it's up. There'll laos be plenty of photo's to choose from to accompany the article, as well as the presentation one in the pub after the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Zesh Rehman 34 said:
i think the 11 who played today should have priority for the re-match in April, as i imagine many more people will want to play

But what if those 11 haven't got ticket stubs? Surely season ticket holders should get first choice of the best positions?

:)

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
DAMANCLAY said:
Can we please make this NSC gold? Would be a shame to lose this thread.

No threads are ever lost, btw. They just keep slipping down towards page 625.

Click on search at the bottom of the page, type in a keyword, like 'Donny v Brighton' and you will be whisked to your chosen thread.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
hans kraay fan club said:
No threads are ever lost, btw. They just keep slipping down towards page 625.

Click on search at the bottom of the page, type in a keyword, like 'Donny v Brighton' and you will be whisked to your chosen thread.

:)
I know that but will be nice for other people to view it in the future.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rigoglioso said:
Just a quick message to say thanks to all your lads for making it a great game yesterday. You were the better of the two teams certainly in the first half, and won almost every header going. In the second half we made it interesting at 2-1, but then whne you edged back to a couple of goals clear it was a slight forgone conclusion who was going to win. Really enjoyed it though, and hopefully we will be able to arrange something similar for when we play you later in the season. Hope you all enjoyed it.

I'm putting a match report on the DROS over the next few days, so will post the link on here when it's up. There'll laos be plenty of photo's to choose from to accompany the article, as well as the presentation one in the pub after the game.

Cheers Riggo. Thanks for setting this all up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hiney said:

dscf25841vm6.jpg

For those of you getting confused by the fact that we only had 11, but the various reports use about 20 different names, the team was as follows!;

Back row [l to r]; Simon Huffer [HKFC], Kieran [El Pres], Jimmy [Helsinki], Jaz [Jaz!], Chris [Damanclay], Ben [Bathseagull], Mike [Padders].

Front Row [l to r]; Pat [son of renns], Sam [Zesh Rehman], Rob [Helsinki], Matt Huffer

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I must confess I have not enjoyed myself so much for ages. Although at times I was in a huge panic as the number of committed players fluctuated between 9-14, in the end it just worked out okay, although I think a few subs would have helped in the second half.

I will spend the next four months learning about the back pass rule.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
El Presidente said:
I must confess I have not enjoyed myself so much for ages. Although at times I was in a huge panic as the number of committed players fluctuated between 9-14, in the end it just worked out okay, although I think a few subs would have helped in the second half.

I will spend the next four months learning about the back pass rule.

I agree. There was some fantastic passing football played, A couple of those moves wouldn't have looked out of place on MOTD. Considering we hadn't met each other before it really was impressive.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Is it worth an ask the club question to see if we could get a piece in the programme? Could include the picture aswell?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Morning people.

Just to let you know, the lovely Mrs Hiney goes into Hospital today for an operation, which means I will not be around until Thursday. I'll sort out the video upload at the end of the week.

I just want to reiterate the fact that it was brilliant on Saturday. The Donny boys were superb and the Albion team was nothing short of MAGNIFICENT.

Hats off to all the players - not only did you all have to get up at MAD o'clock but the weather (at the start anyway) was shit as well.

Thanks also to everyone who came to watch, given the weather.

From my perspective, thanks to Simon for picking me up, driving me to Doncaster, then playing in a game, then watching the 'proper' game, then driving me back to Southampton.

:bowdown: to you all

Thank you

:thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Donny v Albion Supporters Match 25.11.2006
[Everyone else has filed their report, so here’s mine!]

Hiney and I arrived at Cantley Park at ten to 11, to find a grand total of 5 Albion players. Sat-nav, crossed fingers and a couple of calls, nudged this up to 11 with a few minutes to spare.

As we introduced ourselves in the changies it was reassuring to see that amongst the fairly odd shapes, support bandages, knee braces and deep heat there were a couple of lads who actually looked like footballers!

As we waded out into the Cantley swamp in the driving rain, it became clear that Hiney had made his first major tactical error. I am not sure at which point he thought SUEDE BOOTS were ever going to be a good idea! Luckily for him my steel toe-capped work-boots were on hand in the boot of the car. Had it all kicked off on the sidelines, someone’s shins would have got it!

Then followed 3 minutes in which we had to learn each other’s names and mould 11 random players into a team with a recognisable formation. El Pres opted for goalie as his shirt was a different colour, and Matt and I grabbed the centre-half berths as they generally involve lots of action, but very little actual running!

Rob Helsinki, being the image of Dan Harding minus the spots, just had to go at left-back, and Jaz went right back, by virtue of being nearest to me when I was looking for one! Jaz may have actually missed this point though, as he spent most of the next 90 minutes on the right wing, with Matt and I screaming at him to ‘Get back here, now!’ Impudent boy!

Our youngest players, Pat and Sam went wide left and right respectively, where their pace proved very useful, and Mike and Ben sat in midfield. Well actually, Mike sat, For Ben, read the above about Jaz, and replace ‘right wing’ with ‘centre forward’!

Jimmy and Chris up front completed the line up, and as the game kicked off, immediately set about terrorising the Donny defence. Early pressure forced two corners on the right the first of which created the Albion’s first real opportunity. Jaz stole in to the edge of the six yard box, rose like the proverbial salmon but unfortunately met the ball with his shoulder, sending it high over the bar.

With the back four passing the ball around, and Mike seeming to have all the time in the world in the middle, we started to express ourselves, and after about 15 minutes, were rewarded with the opening goal, Jimmy taking the ball in his stride and surging past the last defender, before firing low to the keeper’s right.

Then followed a period of ten minutes when the Donny goal was BATTERED, but remained intact. Chris shot just wide of the right hand post, having been released by a HODDLESQUE slide rule pass from [*cough*] me! Then in quick succession, both Mike and Ben broke from midfield to fire rasping shots, inches from the target.

Just as Hiney must have started to worry that we might live to regret these missed opportunities, a beautifully worked one-two between Jimmy and Chris earned the former a yard of space in the Donny box. He made no mistake, the ball finishing up once more in the bottom left hand corner of the net.

As the half came to a close Donny came into the game, and the defence had to put in great efforts to keep them at bay. Some firm headers and a couple of fine last ditch blocks kept the Albion sheet clean. Kieran’s ‘senior moment’, when he picked up Matt’s back pass, allowed Donny a brief moment of hope. Alas for the massed ranks of their fans [or subs as I guess they all technically were!] the free kick came to nothing.

At halftime, as we listened intently to Hiney’s tactical genius [‘Well done lads, there’s some oranges there’], the Donny boys were unleashing NINE fresh pairs of legs. The lads quickly took on board some fluids and a couple of crafty smokes, before re-entering the fray.

The first ten minutes saw Donny launch an all-out onslaught of our goal, as Donny deployed an interesting 2-2-6 formation. None of the six forwards, however, were especially tall, and it took them a while to realise that their high balls into the box were consistently being met by the ginger heads of the Albion defence. Once they started to keep the ball on the ground, the pace of the fresh Donny players told, and after 50 minutes a cruel deflection left Rob stranded as the ball fell kindly to a Donny forward, who gleefully smashed it into the net.

An equaliser at this point may have spelt disaster for out weary legs, but thanks to a fine save from Kieran, a couple of despairing lunges from the defenders and a selfless block with his gonads by Ben, the Albion lead remained intact!

The lead was indeed extended, when a sweeping move across the pitch, released young Pat, who from the left corner of the box unleashed a stinging low drive that seemed certain to score. The excellent Donny keeper had other ideas though, and pulled off a truly remarkable save low to his right. Pat had continued his run however, and was first to the rebound, generously squaring the ball for Jimmy to complete a well-deserved hat-trick.

Sam had a great chance to kill the game, when through against the keeper, but squirted his shot wide, denying him a deserved goal. The fourth goal was not long in coming however, Ben bursting from midfield, rounding the last man and driving the ball past the helpless keeper. It was a marvellous goal which no doubt would have mightily impressed his fine lady-friend who was in their nearby car, had she not been reading Heat magazine at the time.

In the dying moments, Matt’s aging legs started to feel the pain, and with no subs available, he swapped places with Kieran in goal. In the last minute the ball broke to a Donny youngster 6 yards from goal, who shot weakly towards the corner of the net. Matt, faced with the prospect of ruining his smart red England shirt, decided that he probably couldn’t reach it, and the game finished 4-2!

At the final whistle there were scenes of jubilation amongst the Albion faithful, whose decision to travel had been bountifully rewarded.

Hiney summed it all up in the changing room afterwards – “Waaaaaay! Well done lads, anybody want a cider?”

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
Hiney said:
She's got to have her Jaw Joints replaced.

6/7 hour operation, titatium implants, in hospital for 5 days. Shit really.

We're leaving in an hour - she's BRICKING it.

:(

:ohmy: send her my best wishes, sounds horrible

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
hans kraay fan club said:

And Jaz went right back, by virtue of being nearest to me when I was looking for one! Jaz may have actually missed this point though, as he spent most of the next 90 minutes on the right wing, with Matt and I screaming at him to ‘Get back here, now!’ Impudent boy!

thats a little harsh, i thought i stayed back alot in the second half.:p

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here