spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Trump won't win move on

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
If someone had proposed a screenplay about a presidential candidate for one of the major parties, with even a quarter of the things Trump has said during this campaign, it would have been laughed out of Hollywood for being completely far-fetched, unbelievable and downright moronic.

I'm not overtly political but I've found myself over the last few months watching CNN more than the previous 10 years combined, and browsing the internet to read with incredulity his latest outburst.

It really is a "car-crash TV" presidential campaign.

You wouldn't have got away with what he's done in the last day. Seriously, read that list. No one would buy any candidate saying that without immediately being utterly destroyed. Perhaps it's like Mr. Burns, where's there's so much going wrong that no single thing can actually kill him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Trump won't win move on

There were folks on here a few months back who confidently predicted that Trump would not get ANYWHERE. They were wrong. A country that is dumb enough to vote in GWB as president is capable of anything. Especially as Trump's direct opponent Hillary Clinton offers no new vision and is hated by very many Democrats. Best chance for Amerika is that the Republican Party eats itself and spits Trump out while there's still time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If someone had proposed a screenplay about a presidential candidate for one of the major parties, with even a quarter of the things Trump has said during this campaign, it would have been laughed out of Hollywood for being completely far-fetched, unbelievable and downright moronic.

I'm not overtly political but I've found myself over the last few months watching CNN more than the previous 10 years combined, and browsing the internet to read with incredulity his latest outburst.

It really is a "car-crash TV" presidential campaign.
When you boil it down it's a brilliant strategy.

Trump doesn't dwell on anything long enough for it to be an issue.

He's nearly saying the things Americans want to hear, while doing an extended version of their national 'USA, USA, USA' chant.

The fact that he isn't saying anything coherent doesn't matter, because "I'll make America great again".

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
There were folks on here a few months back who confidently predicted that Trump would not get ANYWHERE. They were wrong. A country that is dumb enough to vote in GWB as president is capable of anything. Especially as Trump's direct opponent Hillary Clinton offers no new vision and is hated by very many Democrats. Best chance for Amerika is that the Republican Party eats itself and spits Trump out while there's still time.

True. I guess no one predicted success for Brexit either.

Still i can't see him winning fella. I know yanks are dumb but not that many

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
There were folks on here a few months back who confidently predicted that Trump would not get ANYWHERE. A country that is dumb enough to vote in GWB as president is capable of anything. Especially as his direct opponent Hillary Clinton offers no new vision and is hated by many Democrats.

It's an interesting race. Almost any other Democrat would be crushing Trump, and any other Republican would destroy Clinton; these two were made for each other. Both candidate have unfavourable numbers north of 50%, which seems ludicrous. Hell, Trump had 60% unfavourable at once point, which was the worst for any major candidate since the 1992 election.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You wouldn't have got away with what he's done in the last day. Seriously, read that list. No one would buy any candidate saying that without immediately being utterly destroyed. Perhaps it's like Mr. Burns, where's there's so much going wrong that no single thing can actually kill him.

My god, that is extraordinary. He's toast surely. The anti-Hilary feeling is the only thing keeping him in the campaign at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
My god, that is extraordinary. He's toast surely. The anti-Hilary feeling is the only thing keeping him in the campaign at the moment.

Seriously, failing to endorse two senior figures in his party should be suicide alone. The other problems are big, for sure, but basically turning on your own party should pretty much kill any politician. The fact there's now a serving Republican saying they'll vote for his opponent is ludicrous as well. Plus Obama openly calling him unfit to serve? That must be unprecedented.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seriously, failing to endorse two senior figures in his party should be suicide alone. The other problems are big, for sure, but basically turning on your own party should pretty much kill any politician. The fact there's now a serving Republican saying they'll vote for his opponent is ludicrous as well. Plus Obama openly calling him unfit to serve? That must be unprecedented.

It just shows how much Republicans (and I'm not talking about the rabid mid-West and Southern variety) hate Hilary. You'd expect them all to desert him.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nigel Farage and the Brexiters, Donald Trump and the Republicans - peas from the same pod. For all our sakes let's hope it's not a double.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Nigel Farage and the Brexiters, Donald Trump and the Republicans - peas from the same pod. For all our sakes let's hope it's not a double.

I think Trump is in a league of his own.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
When you boil it down it's a brilliant strategy.

Trump doesn't dwell on anything long enough for it to be an issue.

He's nearly saying the things Americans want to hear, while doing an extended version of their national 'USA, USA, USA' chant.

The fact that he isn't saying anything coherent doesn't matter, because "I'll make America great again".

I think that gives Trump (and his campaign) way too much credit.

There was a report during the Republican primary campaign that one of the individuals involved in a PAC set-up at the outset to support Trump's bid had been brought in by Trump and his people and briefed about their expectations. The requirement was that Trump should not be "embarrassed", and that his candidacy was more of a protest campaign. There were doubts that he even wanted to win the nomination.

Trump has used this whole process as a personal vanity project. At one of his acceptance speeches after a primary victory he had all his different Trump-branded merchandise on display. He was in Scotland on the morning after the Brexit vote and suggested that the plunging pound would encourage more people to come to the golf course he owns.

And he certainly has no policies or grand vision of why he wants to be President. He's certainly not a Conservative, and many of his historical views are more closely aligned with the Democratic party.
His campaign is in turmoil, because he is a complete loose cannon. It worked during the Republican primary campaign because nobody took him seriously and his politically-incorrect rantings struck a nerve with the racists, bigots and economically-deprived. And if there is one skill he DOES have, it is his ability to nail an opponent with a succinct, memorable sobriquet that, with sufficient repetition, sticks like tar to his target.

I still don't think the American public will vote him as their President, but I didn't think he had an earthly of getting the Republican nomination either.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that gives Trump (and his campaign) way too much credit.
Yes I should had added some kind of caveat:-

When you boil it down it's a brilliant strategy... that Trump has blindly stumbled into.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Americans get to vote for Hitler or Hitlery. What a choice. Neither are fit for office.

at least Hillary understands what office is. i dont think Trump understand what politics is actually about, the process of forming policy and enacting it. this is a man who has spent his life simply making decisions and having noone to answer to, assuming that running a country is the same. most his pronouncments, if they arent offending someone, cant be done just on his say so. the scary thing is not just that he wins but that as the years go by without action, he'll blame everyone but himself and fracture the US, causing rifts with various other nations along the way. it could be quite disasterous to the rest of the world how depending how they react to the vacuum of global leadership.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
As a English person living in the US for the last 15 years, this round of elections is by far the scariest, weirdest and most strange that I have witnessed.

Initially, the prospect of Trump getting close to the Presidency was laughable, but due to a lack of strong opposition within the RNC, a large number of people being fed up with the prospect of another Clinton in office (the whole Bush/Clinton family thing has become nationally tiresome over the last 4 elections) and Trump cashing in on the fear that many people here have of ISIS and terrorism in general, has allowed him to squirm his way to finals.

Unfortunately it is not the people that live in the horseshoe states (the states that are on the West Coast, along the Canadian Border and down the East Coast), it is the strange states in the middle of the horseshoe that have pushed for this to happen. The residents of the middle of the horseshoe states are the ones that don't travel, have the passports, have lived in these places all their lives, have guns, trucks and narrow vision when it comes to life in general.

If Trump is able to rally enough idiots in the swing states that traditionally have no set loyalty to a party, then he will scarily win, a concept that is becoming harder and harder to get to grips with. My only hope is that he will do,or say something, or the Democratic party have something very damaging on him that they holding on to which will take him down at a critical time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36968053

Mr Trump's rocky week so far:
Mr Trump declined to endorse fellow party members House Speaker Paul Ryan and Arizona Senator John McCain in their coming elections.
Republican Vice-Presidential Nominee Mike Pence broke with his running mate and endorsed Mr Ryan.
Mr Trump continued to criticise Khizr and Ghazala Khan despite repeated calls from his allies to stop.
Mr Trump warned supporters that the coming election could be "rigged", casting doubt on the fairness of the voting process.
He referred to his opponent, Mrs Clinton, as "the devil".
His top spokeswoman said policies put in place in 2009 by President Barack Obama were responsible for the 2004 death of Capt Khan.
Mr Trump said he would advise his daughter to find another job if she were the victim of sexual harassment. He was discussing the recent ousting of Fox News boss Roger Ailes after allegations of sexual harassment.
Mr Trump was handed a Purple Heart - a medal given to wounded members of the US military - at a campaign rally in Virginia. "I always wanted to get the Purple Heart," Mr Trump said. "This was much easier." The comments have drawn criticism from veterans' groups online.
Mr Trump joked that a mother and her crying baby should be ejected from the Virginia rally. "You can get the baby out of here," he said from the stage.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I hope Americans will one day look back and laugh over a beer and say "do you remember when that guy with the wig, what was his name? Trump! Remember when he ran for president?"

I hope so.

I hope so too and preferable to them saying remember that bloke in the wig who was our 45th President.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here