Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog poo on the streets - Guilty or not?

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
A few years ago, when I lived in Southwick, I watched a dog-owner walk away from a freshly laid poo that his dog had left, on a grassy area in the rec where the kids played. I challenged him to pick it up, to which he replied that he had no bags. I made him pick it up with his bare hands and put it in the dogshit bin. Maybe he took bags with him after that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Disgusting owners that don't . Had a row with a few over the years .

Seen it happen on the beach where dogs should be banned as well ,

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
If guide dogs are trained to it before they go out, are they trained to sit on the toilet and flush afterwards (which would be a fantastic party trick for a dog), or do they just do it on the hall carpet?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If guide dogs are trained to it before they go out, are they trained to sit on the toilet and flush afterwards (which would be a fantastic party trick for a dog), or do they just do it on the hall carpet?

Guide dogs are trained to go on concrete as most dogs prefer grass.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
For the umpteenth time today, I've taken my dog out for a walk only to tread in a big pile of the brown stuff in the middle of the pavement. Now I know I should have been looking where I was going but I've always had a habit of gazing ahead as I'm out for a stroll rather than observing the ground and it would be almost impossible for me to change this trait after 50 odd years, so I guess I'm going to continue to catch more than my fair share of those unwelcome packets.

Smelling like a dog turd for a whole hour, as your fellow dog walkers avoid you like the plague, is bad enough but to then walk into some more mess on the Neville playing field (and a particularly watery variety) only 10 mins after the other incident strikes me as damn bad luck. Ever mindful that things tend to happen in threes, I spent the rest of the walk looking at the ground and counted more than 20 other turds of varying proportions over 30 mins, despite the existence of four poo bins. So what is it about some people and dog poo? Are owners really so idle and lazy that they can't be bothered to pick it up? Do they always forget bags or not bother buying them? Can they not afford bags and so are obliged to leave their dog's deposit in situ? Or do they think that picking up dog poo with a bag is somehow unhygienic or perhaps beneath them? I have politely asked people to pick up in the past; some do but most give a volley of abuse and threaten violence of some description so I don't tend to make a scene any-more but there is no doubt that the problem is getting worse and it can't be long before dogs end up being banned form certain public places because of the actions of a minority.

I would be interested to know of any experiences that others have had with the doo poo issue; and if there is anyone on NSC who never picks up I'd be very grateful to know their reasons for not bothering. It may be that I'm unluckier than most when out walking? Perhaps, therefore, I should think about dedicating a pair of trainers to dog walks to save me the trouble of cleaning different pairs each time I get back home.

We have four dogs, a collie and three cavaliers. We never go out without a pocket full of poo bags. Like you we also get pizzed off when our shoes become soiled, especially when you don't realise until you've nearly driven home and its all over the pedals. It's just the owners are a bunch of :tosser:s !
On the upside it must be much worse in the Chavlands around Croydon :)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I think there should be an area cordoned off in parks/ public places where dogs can do the business. It would still need to be picked up of course but at least it would be away from where children play or people picnic.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
For the umpteenth time today, I've taken my dog out for a walk only to tread in a big pile of the brown stuff in the middle of the pavement.

Can i suggest that, alongside your admirable crusade, you also pay a bit more attention and look where you are walking.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
My uncle once forgot the poo bags on a walk and of course the dog did a poo in the middle of the sidewalk.. He got some very odd looks from the people standing on the sidewalk when he came back without the dog and started picking up the dog poo..

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
The problem is the owners who happily allow their dogs off lead who end up miles ahead of them and then the owners haven't got a scooby whether their dog has had a poo or not. New law (for other thread) no dogs off lead until they have done their business and it has been safely scooped.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I knew once I got a dog as well as a bike my days on NSC would become a misery. Fortunately I am able to draw great comfort, from the teachings of Allah.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The problem is the owners who happily allow their dogs off lead who end up miles ahead of them and then the owners haven't got a scooby whether their dog has had a poo or not. New law (for other thread) no dogs off lead until they have done their business and it has been safely scooped.

Another excuse - "I didn't know that my dog had poo'ed. I wasn't looking".

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Can i suggest that, alongside your admirable crusade, you also pay a bit more attention and look where you are walking.

Fair point: Being a pedant by nature, what I should have said was "For the umpteenth time, I've taken my dog out today only...etc. But I'm sure you get the drift.:thumbsup: Anyway, I was a tad pre-occupied when I wrote my post.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
There's nothing sadder than seeing a little old lady bending down to pick up dog poo. Especially when you realise she doesn't have a dog........or a bag???

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I knew once I got a dog as well as a bike my days on NSC would become a misery. Fortunately I am able to draw great comfort, from the teachings of Allah.

I must try that in a quiet moment.:thumbsup:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
There's nothing sadder than seeing a little old lady bending down to pick up dog poo. Especially when you realise she doesn't have a dog........or a bag???

Agreed, and what such ladies do have is respect for their surroundings. Unlike many of the scumbags that leave their mess behind.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dog owners only pick up their dogs doodahs only if being watched, then they often flick the whole bag in to the bushes at the earliest possible convenience. I first saw this on Highdown Hill in Worthing, after open grassland the main path goes through maybe 10 yards of bushes, when autumn comes and the leaves die back you can see all the little offerings hanging there in their non degradable bags. It's like some kind of Doggy Nepalese festival.
Haha dogging up Highdown again. Stick to Honeysuckle Lane car park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here