Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does three inches make a difference...

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I had a feeling the title I used would attract a lot of the perves :)

[MENTION=18559]dingodan[/MENTION] implied I was a perv from that Bevendean 'shithole':eek: this week so your not far from the truth.
I would go for a 60" and knock down the adjoining wall:thumbsup:
I hear [MENTION=22252]T soprano[/MENTION] will knock anything out very cheaply if you ask him nicely:)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
With a 3D television it's difficult to have visitors round whilst you are watching a program. Firstly you will not have enough pairs of glasses at £100 a pop or there abouts, also you will look a right Benny sitting there if the visitors catch you wearing them. At least it's dark in the Cinema.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

DanielT

There is a theoretical formula for size. I have 42" and the formula ( which I can't remember ) says the recommended distance to view is 12 feet or more away.
This is fine , but I will go for 46 or 50" when the present one dies.

the formula is that you should be 3 times the screen size away from the tv.
37" TV, you should be just over 9' away from it. 40", 10' away.

if you were told 12', that's 3.5 times the size, so sounds about right.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
40" is perfect for current generation HD. Any smaller and you're missing out, any bigger and you'll notice imperfections.
Is there any subject in the world you know anything about? That's such utter nonsense it's difficult to know where to start. 100" screens look great in full HD - unless of course you're sat 2 feet away, which would be a bit silly. 40" is far too small for a cinematic experience. It's a decent size for tv in many living rooms though.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Now back to serious stuff ....does anyone bother with 3D???????

Some of the 3d stuff on sky is pretty good and this season sky are covering some of the new f1 season in 3d, saw some of the testing last week and it was pretty special. Also got some 3d games on my ps3 which are also pretty spectacular but I only wanted an led tv and didn't buy mine specifically for 3d, but it IS a bonus although I probably only use it once or twice a month. Also try and get passive 3d as the glasses are just polarised exactly the same as the cinema, and not £40-£70 a pair for the active 3d glasses. If you haven't got sky and/or a ps3 or 3d Blu ray player then the 3d virtually useless :)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I Have a 43" TV and its great, housemate has a 50" TV and thats even better. as said above big tvs do not dominate the room, you will soon get used to it. 32" is pointless IMO.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just going by experience buddy, it's just an opinion so calm down.
:D

I personally notice artefacts even on full HD on screens around 46", but you're right viewing distance is a key factor.
Artefacts? With a decent source (eg, blu-ray 1080p) you shouldn't get artefacts no matter how close you sit. When close enough you will see pixels, but you do have to be very close for that. When about 12 feet from 100" screen I can't see any issues. The pixels are too small to see from that distance (or probably even from 6 feet).

When you've seen artefacts on a 46" screen, what has the source been?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
PS3 and Sky HD are 720p
Blu ray movies on the PS3 are 1080p, not 720p.

these are the main reasons why I wouldn't go over 40"
Even 720p looks great on a 50" screen. Obviously a lot of sky etc is not HD at all though, and then big screens and low viewing distances can be an issue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, but I think 720p looks bloody awful on a 50" screen - but that's just my opinion :)
So you think that most of the tv you watch (non HD) looks bloody awful on a 40"?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, but I think 720p looks bloody awful on a 50" screen - but that's just my opinion :)
The thing is, you won't get artefacts from 720p, so all that's left is whether you can see the pixels or not. And unless you're close, I don't see how you can see the pixels. I doubt you could tell the difference if you were 12 feet away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here