Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Does this quote for plastering job sound reasonable?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
OK. I've had a bit to drink so politely ask for clarification here. What is the difference if working for a company?
If someone comes who works for a company they will quote a price set by the company for the expected works. This will include being contracted to company to complete the agreed works, remembering they are a company with overheads etc, it doesn't mean the person doing the work will get the figure quoted but will "earn" a wage from the company. If it a self employed chap he will quote a figure to complete the job but it's not his wage, it's what he will charge, he in turn will need to deduct his own costs to do the job. This is the cost it takes to be self employed, van, tools insurance, running costs, insurance etc. What he ends up with in his/her pocket will be somewhat less.

It's no different to going to a garage they will charge labour at a set fee per hour, it doesn't mean the mechanic gets that fee. If you go to a one man band garage he will charge a fee that not just covers what he expects to take home pay but what it costs to run his business.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree you do need to be qualified in something useful or you shouldn’t expect a big salary .

Speaking the Kings English is reassuring to many people as it’s a sign of good breeding ( apparently ) and that gives reassurance especially with a pilot flying a plane when you hear the voice !

???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If anyone can recommend a plaster at a decent rate please message me
Band-aid is reasonable. Not the cheapest but the quality is good.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
If anyone can recommend a plasterer please message me :) (need about 3 rooms doing)
Where do you live? Not sure my plasterer would travel to the other side of the County for example

Jul 2, 2011
As a tradesman this grates on me.
Why ask the general public who haven’t physically been to look at the job and most probably have no expertise in the art of applying plaster to a wall? Every jobs different.

If the chaps a recommendation and you’ve seen previous work which is good, then go with it. He’s not going to change the price because you think it’s a little to much, in fact, I’d be a little insulted if I was the plasterer in question.

If he’s not a recommendation or you go with someone who’s works not be appraised then make it clear you won’t pay until the works dried (and ideally had a mist coated which would show up any blemishes). However, you’ve got to expect it not to be 100% blemish free, but on the same note, you don’t want to be seeing trowel marks.

Good luck

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here