Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does no new striker signal the end of the season's hopes for you?

Assuming no new attacking player is signed...

• I still feel we can make top two

Votes: 54 25.1%
  • I feel we can reach the playoffs

Votes: 122 56.7%
  • I've no faith in us being among the top six

Votes: 36 16.7%
  • Relegation certs

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

It's no secret that we need a new striker, the club are looking for a new striker and ultimately we'd all feel a lot more positive if we brought in a new striker.

However, as the clock ticks down and there are whispers that there won't actually be any new business completed by the end of the day, would NOT signing a new attacking player be so disappointing and deflating for you that you'd fail to have any hope in us achieving that much desired top two position this season?

Is our attack stronger than last season with Murray in place of Zamora and Wilson? Or is this just not enough to get the job done?

Wasn't confident but now that Bloom,Barber and Burke mk11 are waving the white flag I feel very deflated.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Too many teams with better squads than us this season, we won't even make the play offs at this rate. Laughable that Bloom wants top 2 but won't put the money in to get there

Seriously? He's so far turned down £15-20m in bids for the players we have got. That's a pretty sizeable commitment already for a guy without whom we'd be signing the likes of Shane McFaul and probably still be at Withdean.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We cannot get promoted just on home wins, We need draws and an occasional win away which is not looking likely.
We'll get the 23 away points you're concerned about. It's the 69 home points we won't get.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We have depth everywhere, except the number 10.

I still personally think we are one player light in midfield but it's not a matter of urgency Sidwell has been dreadful so far apart from at Derby

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still personally think we are one player light in midfield but it's not a matter of urgency Sidwell has been dreadful so far apart from at Derby
If he's our 4th choice in the centre of midfield, we're doing ok. He did well enough at the end of last year, we can't expect every 4th choice to be brilliant.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's almost like our two 3-0 wins this season didn't happen.

The problem last season wasn't the amount of goals scored, but the spread of the goals. It's all well and good sticking 3's and 4's past Rotherham etc, but consistently drawing a blank against our direct promotion rivals it what lets us down. We've played two of the 'better' teams already this season and scored zero against them. Beating Rotherham 3-0 still only gets you 3 points. We all know we need a spark upfront and I admire the loyalty of those amongst us desperately claiming that it's no big deal. We know the club tried to get someone, Pritchard is unlikely to be the only player we were prepared to spend big money on, the problem is players aren't available for big money now, it takes absurd money and you have to draw a line somewhere.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
In Murray baldock and hemed we have 45-50 goals between then if they stay fit and get the service

But they need to stay fit

I'm in the staying positive camp.

If we can get 50 goals from our strikers then we will gain promotion.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think dreadful is very harsh. He's not been great but hardly dreadful. As with last season, people are going over the top with criticism of him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The problem last season wasn't the amount of goals scored, but the spread of the goals. It's all well and good sticking 3's and 4's past Rotherham etc, but consistently drawing a blank against our direct promotion rivals it what lets us down. We've played two of the 'better' teams already this season and scored zero against them. Beating Rotherham 3-0 still only gets you 3 points. We all know we need a spark upfront and I admire the loyalty of those amongst us desperately claiming that it's no big deal. We know the club tried to get someone, Pritchard is unlikely to be the only player we were prepared to spend big money on, the problem is players aren't available for big money now, it takes absurd money and you have to draw a line somewhere.

If we'd beaten just one of Rotherham or Forest by 3 goals at home last season we'd have been promoted.

I'm not desperately trying to claim anything. I'd like another striker but I'm very happy with the squad we have.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If we'd beaten just one of Rotherham and Forest by 3 goals at home last season we'd have been promoted.

I'm not desperately trying to claim anything. I'd like another striker but I'm very happy with the squad we have.
If we'd have put just one goal past Wednesday we'd have been promoted too. The squad we have is very good, but is it good enough? Personally I don't think so, we've improved the defence and midfield but we desperately need that goal scorer that can pop up to snatch a 1-0 against our rivals. We don't have him (as yet), and as such I think we'll struggle to threaten the top of the table.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If we'd have put just one goal past Wednesday we'd have been promoted too. The squad we have is very good, but is it good enough? Personally I don't think so, we've improved the defence and midfield but we desperately need that goal scorer that can pop up to snatch a 1-0 against our rivals. We don't have him (as yet), and as such I think we'll struggle to threaten the top of the table.

My point is not the ifs and buts of last season but that any extra goals we score this season are not irrelevant. We found out the hard way last season that it's not just every point that counts but every goal.

I'm confident we can match or better our 72 from last season given that we should now have Knockaert for an entire season and if we do that we should be in pretty good shape come next May.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My point is not the ifs and buts of last season but that any extra goals we score this season are not irrelevant. We found out the hard way last season that it's not just every point that counts but every goal.

I'm confident we can match or better our 72 from last season given that we should now have Knockaert for an entire season and if we do that we should be in pretty good shape come next May.

But my point still stands, we struggle to score against the top teams. We could smash our goals tally from last season, but if it's tallying up,the goals in the easy games and registering blanks against our rivals we'll be in the same position. Two 1-0's is more valuable than a 6-0 and 0-0, that's my point.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps our development squad might unearth a striking gem? what do we have a DS for? seems to me it's not fully working out as yet.. Historically good at bringing defenders through the ranks,we need now to see more attack minded players,Solly March excluded..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Knockaert, March and Elvis are going to have to craft out a 4th striker between themselves.

They have every chance of doing so.

I don't see the gloom myself, although another signing would be ideal, and I don't think they've locked up the Amex for the night yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But my point still stands, we struggle to score against the top teams. We could smash our goals tally from last season, but if it's tallying up,the goals in the easy games and registering blanks against our rivals we'll be in the same position. Two 1-0's is more valuable than a 6-0 and 0-0, that's my point.
You wouldn't have thought it was so difficult to understand.

The amount of times I've read and responded to 'but we were the top goal scorers...' is unbelievable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knockaert, March and Elvis are going to have to craft out a 4th striker between themselves.

They have every chance of doing so.

I don't see the gloom myself, although another signing would be ideal, and I don't think they've locked up the Amex for the night yet.
But they (perhaps not Elvis) should be combining for the 5th striker.
What a fookin team we'd have then.

Putting pressure on the wingers to score because nobody else can, will only reduce their effectiveness at being wingers and narrow the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here