Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah I have, and I deserved to die in my car crash.

I'd give my life to a Turkish child to save the harrowing, shocking pain of their parents right now.
You didn’t deserve to die mate, you survived and after everything you’ve been through even more so. Chin up - talk things through with your other half if you can, or family/friends. You’ve got this 👍🏻

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I'd give my life to a Turkish child to save the harrowing, shocking pain of their parents right now.
Hi @D, said with sincerity, try to concentrate on getting yourself well again.

I was told many years ago that we can only give (eg to bad things going on in the world) when well ourselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's taken me half an hour to find this thread so hopefully I can get somewhere.

I phoned up my doctor yesterday, who said that he'd call as he had heard about me being involved in a serious car crash on Monday night. Now, I know that doctors are incredibly busy and really do their best but I've heard nothing and I fear I'm heading for a nervous breakdown. I'm constantly shaking especially when I hear any kind of loud noises when I go out or on the TV (which I have now turned off). I've hardly slept in three nights and I'm starting to hallucinate. My breathing is very shallow and I'm getting panic attacks. PLEASE I NEED HELP. I have never felt like this before. I am at my mum and dad's house and they are doing their best for me but they can see I'm struggling so bad. I don't want to go to sleep tonight for fear of more nightmares.

I know this may not be the best place to post such an anguished post but I feel like posters on here are near me in Sussex, which is such a tremendous help and comfort.

Bozza - please could you PM me a helpline phone number for traumatised people with PTSD? Thanks. I hope there's a way out of this hell I'm in. I do not want to panic you. Rest assured, I am not going to take my own life. Everything is so scary though.
I see others with more experience than me have posted some useful advice. It sounds like others have been able to get through similar situations so I hope you can take some comfort from that. Hopefully we can all read some posts of progress from you soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's very sad to read. May I ask why you feel you're such a bad person that you don't deserve to live?

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
I'm so glad that you are reaching out to people Durlston. That's means you want to get better. It's important you remember that. Won't repeat what others have already said, but don't rush and things WILL get easier. I've had very dark moments in my life but I came through it, I know you can too.

Sorry if the rest of this is TLDR

The hallucinations are symptomatic of the shock and sleep deprivation.

Tips from an anxiety ridden insomniac:

Be active during the day and get plenty of fresh air. Take people with you if you can't handle things on your own. Don't hide away.

Only lay in bed when you feel sleepy. If you wake up in the night, get out of bed and read or do something else until sleep catches up with you again.

Don't sleep in silence. Find some gentle classical/folk/ambient music and have it on all night.

Screens send signals that effect our REM sleep so don't look at a screen/tv/smart phone about an hour before you go to bed.

Drink herbal tea before bed time, you can find ones with camomile, honey, lavender etc. Pukka do a nice one called Night Time.

Use the numbers that others have sent. Phone the doctor tomorrow, make an appointment to see them, take someone with you if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Ignore people who try to make fun of the situation. They are being foolish. The vast majority of people have your back. There will be a lot of people thinking of you tonight.

You've been through a lot, mate. It will be ok.

But remember, you got in contact with people. You want to get better. And you deserve it. The bad thoughts are imposters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm so glad that you are reaching out to people Durlston. That's means you want to get better. It's important you remember that. Won't repeat what others have already said, but don't rush and things WILL get easier. I've had very dark moments in my life but I came through it, I know you can too.

Be active during the day and get plenty of fresh air. Take people with you if you can't handle things on your own. Don't hide away.

Only lay in bed when you feel sleepy. If you wake up in the night, get out of bed and read or do something else until sleep catches up with you again.

Don't sleep in silence. Find some gentle classical/folk/ambient music and have it on all night.

Screens send signals that effect our REM sleep so don't look at a screen/tv/smart phone about an hour before you go to bed.

Drink herbal tea before bed time, you can find ones with camomile, honey, lavender etc. Pukka do a nice one called Night Time.

Use the numbers that others have sent. Phone the doctor tomorrow, make an appointment to see them, take someone with you if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Ignore people who try to make fun of the situation. They are being foolish. The vast majority of people have your back. There will be a lot of people thinking of you tonight.

But remember, you got in contact with people. You want to get better. And you deserve it. The bad thoughts are imposters.
I agree, although I would say that people making jokes aren't necessarily the opposite of those who have his back. People often use humour to deal with things, it's not always a bad thing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's taken me half an hour to find this thread so hopefully I can get somewhere.

I phoned up my doctor yesterday, who said that he'd call as he had heard about me being involved in a serious car crash on Monday night. Now, I know that doctors are incredibly busy and really do their best but I've heard nothing and I fear I'm heading for a nervous breakdown. I'm constantly shaking especially when I hear any kind of loud noises when I go out or on the TV (which I have now turned off). I've hardly slept in three nights and I'm starting to hallucinate. My breathing is very shallow and I'm getting panic attacks. PLEASE I NEED HELP. I have never felt like this before. I am at my mum and dad's house and they are doing their best for me but they can see I'm struggling so bad. I don't want to go to sleep tonight for fear of more nightmares.

I know this may not be the best place to post such an anguished post but I feel like posters on here are near me in Sussex, which is such a tremendous help and comfort.

Bozza - please could you PM me a helpline phone number for traumatised people with PTSD? Thanks. I hope there's a way out of this hell I'm in. I do not want to panic you. Rest assured, I am not going to take my own life. Everything is so scary though.
Please don’t fall into the trap I did after a traumatic event I now a have to take a ton load of drugs just to get some sleep and even then I sometimes don’t sleep at all or crash (no pun intended) out at the time the rest of the country wakes up.
Good luck with it all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I cannot thank everyone enough for their kindness. I would normally PM everyone who has wished me well but I am so tired I think I'm going to make myself sick.

If anyone takes the piss out of me, I would pray for them never to get caught up in a car crash, terrorist attack or what's happening in Turkey. 🇹🇷 I don't know why I am so frightened. My head is completely f**k*d. Still in shock I guess.
I can't offer you anything other than my thoughts and positive energy. You WILL get through it, even if it might not feel like it. 👍🏼

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

Some of the most helpful practical advice on here , wouldn`t be at all surprised if you had helped more than just @Durlston with this post .

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
After not getting to sleep until 12.30am, I drifted off and slept right through until 5.14am, when I woke up everyone by screaming the house down after having a nightmare of being stuck in the woods/forest in complete darkness with the sound of foxes sounding like screaming women (the noise of screeching metal along the road) and someone dangerous getting near me.

I'm ok now. Won't be able to get back to sleep but I got five QUALITY hours of sleep. I feel much better than last night when I said some terrible things on here. I'm so sorry. This thread is meant to help people with poor mental health or going through trauma in their lives and I'm so grateful for this help. Thanks to all the moderators. (y)

Feel very cold but I'm so much better than I was last night. :) Thanks to everyone who has contributed help on here. :giggle:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
After not getting to sleep until 12.30am, I drifted off and slept right through until 5.14am, when I woke up everyone by screaming the house down after having a nightmare of being stuck in the woods/forest in complete darkness with the sound of foxes sounding like screaming women (the noise of screeching metal along the road) and someone dangerous getting near me.

I'm ok now. Won't be able to get back to sleep but I got five QUALITY hours of sleep. I feel much better than last night when I said some terrible things on here. I'm so sorry. This thread is meant to help people with poor mental health or going through trauma in their lives and I'm so grateful for this help. Thanks to all the moderators. (y)

Feel very cold but I'm so much better than I was last night. :) Thanks to everyone who has contributed help on here. :giggle:
Glad you got some sleep. Having just read your posts last night I was going to ask after you. The fact you’ve posted yourself is really positive.

I hope things get better over the next days and NSC is here for you. This thread can be your friend and it was great to read how much support you got.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I don't think there's a right or wrong way of dealing with - our reacting to - major trauma, so just let it all out.

And don't apologise!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'm ok now. Won't be able to get back to sleep but I got five QUALITY hours of sleep. I feel much better than last night when I said some terrible things on here. I'm so sorry. This thread is meant to help people with poor mental health or going through trauma in their lives
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Durlston - five straight hours of quality sleep is definitely helpful.

I read back through the thread last night and saw you are also living with bipolar - which makes what you are going through even more challenging for you.

My partner had bipolar and one of my best friends is also bipolar so I have some experience around it. I was wondering therefore whether you think the accident could have triggered some deeper MH issues for you too? This would be very normal for trauma on top of bipolar disease - I know you said the doctor hadn’t called back but I would strongly suggest (even though you feel better today) that you phone them back and make an emergency appointment at the surgery to see them - it may be you need a bit of extra help with a modification of your existing meds/fresh meds or an urgent referral to your MH team for some short-term counselling to get through this (or both).

The effects of trauma on people with bipolar can be very severe and cause a sudden worsening of their existing mood symptoms - even when they have been stabilised for years - it isn’t something to take lightly.

PS Limit your exposure to the news about the earthquake in Turkey - I know from personal experience, if you are already struggling with a traumatic event, constantly seeing disturbing news reports of a severe natural disasters can make the psychological impact of your own trauma even more difficult to deal with.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If anyone takes the piss out of me, I would pray for them never to get caught up in a car crash, terrorist attack or what's happening in Turkey. 🇹🇷 I don't know why I am so frightened. My head is completely f**k*d. Still in shock I guess.
If posting on here (and reading the replies) is even of the tiniest help then post away and stuff what anybody thinks. However even the people who were initially a bit less than sympathetic to you have since admitted that they misread the situation (or tried to be clever and get a cheap laugh).

Remember that this ....
... The NSC hive mind also has a hive heart. Sleep well :thumbsup:
... is very true.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I would like to say a huge thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread and sent their excellent advice and most important of all, their very best sincere wishes. I am a bit choked up reading everyone's kind words but I am so thankful we have a forum like NSC that is a community and has a heart of a lion. ❤

My mother said she hadn't seen me as upset since I was a little boy last night. There were enough tears to fill a swimming pool! Woah, I feel dehydrated because I lost a lot of water! Things will get better - I'm going to have my fairly good and bad days but hopefully nothing like I felt like last night which was absolutely dreadful.

Five hours sleep is not bad at all. The nightmare was unpleasant but it's just my mind trying to mend itself by trying to get rid of all the traumatic head poo upstairs as quickly as possible I think! It will be a slow process and I will try to limit my posts to all our love of our beautiful football club of Brighton and Hove Albion FC. Let's beat the filth up the road tomorrow! :bloom:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here