Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As, I believe, Richie once said 'I think I've hit my bottom'.

Richie Edwards?

I've heard/read that sometimes we need to hit rock bottom before life gets better.

Since the pandemic I've thought a lot about life stuff, the whole trauma of being a human being .... none of us are equipped.

Some people appear really happy and confident ...... they usually aren't.

Good luck and best wishes

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
As, I believe, Richie once said 'I think I've hit my bottom'.

Sorry to hear mate it sucks and don`t let anyone tell you it doesn`t,but there is plenty you can do to help turn it around .I was diagnosed with multiple MH conditions after a traumatic incident and an abusive childhood. I have gone through periods of my life where i have not left my house for up to 6 months at a time at various times of my life,i have Agoraphobia and cant get out my front door without a Valium or a drink. So you fight back ,i find that writing a list every day consisting of everything i want and need to do/achieve even starting with showering and brushing your teeth ,doing one job a day no matter how small,but never allow yourself to feel bad if you don`t do it ,after all YOUR in charge .
Exercise is a must ,adrenalin builds very quickly and easily makes you feel low and tired ,so try and do something every day ,i don`t know your position so cant give specifics but you must force yourself .Always eat properly and if you fancy a little treat have it-but make sure you earn it by achieving a small job that needed doing .Don`t hide away from friends or family and don`t hide what your feeling from them , they cant help you if you don`t make them understand . Your mind always makes you feel worse at night ,or when your alone ,tell it to F*** off and remember something you choose that makes YOU feel good ,i use music books tv and (honestly) anything i can find on BHAFC on Youtube .
If what i have written makes you angry ....GOOD feeling angry can (if used correctly) help you a great deal .
Either way i sincerely wish you nothing but good wishes and a u-turn on your luck,just think of Liam Rosenior`s hand under chin message to us .

The story goes on and on , but i tell you this for one reason only ,you can turn it around ,i

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Richie Edwards?

I've heard/read that sometimes we need to hit rock bottom before life gets better.

Since the pandemic I've thought a lot about life stuff, the whole trauma of being a human being .... none of us are equipped.

Some people appear really happy and confident ...... they usually aren't.

Good luck and best wishes
I may have misquoted him but it is Rik Mayall's Richie from Bottom I was quoting.
Thank you for the kind words.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Sorry to hear mate it sucks and don`t let anyone tell you it doesn`t,but there is plenty you can do to help turn it around .I was diagnosed with multiple MH conditions after a traumatic incident and an abusive childhood. I have gone through periods of my life where i have not left my house for up to 6 months at a time at various times of my life,i have Agoraphobia and cant get out my front door without a Valium or a drink. So you fight back ,i find that writing a list every day consisting of everything i want and need to do/achieve even starting with showering and brushing your teeth ,doing one job a day no matter how small,but never allow yourself to feel bad if you don`t do it ,after all YOUR in charge .
Exercise is a must ,adrenalin builds very quickly and easily makes you feel low and tired ,so try and do something every day ,i don`t know your position so cant give specifics but you must force yourself .Always eat properly and if you fancy a little treat have it-but make sure you earn it by achieving a small job that needed doing .Don`t hide away from friends or family and don`t hide what your feeling from them , they cant help you if you don`t make them understand . Your mind always makes you feel worse at night ,or when your alone ,tell it to F*** off and remember something you choose that makes YOU feel good ,i use music books tv and (honestly) anything i can find on BHAFC on Youtube .
If what i have written makes you angry ....GOOD feeling angry can (if used correctly) help you a great deal .
Either way i sincerely wish you nothing but good wishes and a u-turn on your luck,just think of Liam Rosenior`s hand under chin message to us .

The story goes on and on , but i tell you this for one reason only ,you can turn it around ,i

I have improved a bit already and the football season starting has helped a bit. I was extremely down Thursday night and my post probably came over a bit more dramatic than I meant.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Just want to say thank you for posting that, great advice.
I get claustrophobic. I feel very uncomfortable in a room full of people (especially if they're all talking). I can't imagine what it feels like not to be able to leave the house.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I have improved a bit already and the football season starting has helped a bit. I was extremely down Thursday night and my post probably came over a bit more dramatic than I meant.

Good to hear and i hope the lads can make us all a bit happier tomorrow:) Nights are always my achilles ,so i record all sorts of stuff ready for a rough night ,or binge watch something with escapism . I used to try to go to sleep at a sensible time only to find my mind wont shut down so i am still awake at 3 or 4am (currently i am getting to sleep quite early 2am average) the trick i use is simple -i just stopped caring what was seen as right and decided to do what i wanted when i wanted . The mind is a class A grade 1 Bit** that when with people like us decides to play up can cause upheaval on a major scale ,so i try to take away it`s ammo. If life says do this do that at this time and this way you`re heading for an eventual problem of some sort , so now i do what i can when i can ,and if i want a beer at 4am i had one in fact i did what felt good for me regardless of convention . I am still nuttier than squirrel shit if you`ll forgive me ,but i found when i stopped trying to reintegrate with the worlds view things GENUINELY started to ease up ,if you give your mind no ammo what can it shoot at you ?:thumbsup:

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Just want to say thank you for posting that, great advice.
I get claustrophobic. I feel very uncomfortable in a room full of people (especially if they're all talking). I can't imagine what it feels like not to be able to leave the house.

You are very welcome ,that`s very kind of you to say . You sound as though we share a common but very disabling problem,in fact very similar to Agoraphobia. I feel very uncomfortable in a room with lots of people and as you say it`s far worse if it`s loud ,i get hot hard to breathe tense muscles even dizzy sometimes . I never knew why,it was very similar to a Panic Attack but i had good friends who didn`t want me to go home ,so you drink more and tough it out ,but when you get to leave the pressure released is intense .I hate closed spaces myself,my a-hole bigger brother used to lock me in the cupboard under the stairs ,so maybe that`s it ,i hope you never went through anything similar ,but you have done the hard bit ,you are aware of the situations you need to either avoid or learn to control under YOUR conditions and when it suits you-OWN IT and beat it why should you suffer:):)

I had a tough time getting out of my house for a two year period between 91/93 almost to the week,i went to the library once a month for some books....with my wife all but holding my hand ,i gave up drinking and smoking during that time ,the smoking has stayed gone but the cider not so much :lolol: thanks for kindly asking ,please look after yourself :thumbsup:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
You are very welcome ,that`s very kind of you to say . You sound as though we share a common but very disabling problem,in fact very similar to Agoraphobia. I feel very uncomfortable in a room with lots of people and as you say it`s far worse if it`s loud ,i get hot hard to breathe tense muscles even dizzy sometimes . I never knew why,it was very similar to a Panic Attack but i had good friends who didn`t want me to go home ,so you drink more and tough it out ,but when you get to leave the pressure released is intense .I hate closed spaces myself,my a-hole bigger brother used to lock me in the cupboard under the stairs ,so maybe that`s it ,i hope you never went through anything similar ,but you have done the hard bit ,you are aware of the situations you need to either avoid or learn to control under YOUR conditions and when it suits you-OWN IT and beat it why should you suffer:):)

I had a tough time getting out of my house for a two year period between 91/93 almost to the week,i went to the library once a month for some books....with my wife all but holding my hand ,i gave up drinking and smoking during that time ,the smoking has stayed gone but the cider not so much :lolol: thanks for kindly asking ,please look after yourself :thumbsup:

Thank you. We do have things in common, but my phobia is nowhere near what you endure. My older brother did used to lock me in the coal cellar/cupboard or sometimes the shed, but I was very annoying! The fear of being trapped stems from my older cousin who was a bully. We used to play a stupid game where we hid under the bedclothes. One time he trapped me and I couldn't breathe. I still have nightmares about it.
Best wishes

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I read this yesterday which I found interesting:

"A 2021 study jointly constructed by researchers from the University of Colorado, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University found an association between rising just an hour earlier than normal and a decreased risk of depression by 23 per cent".

23 per cent, that's massive (goes off to change alarm clock). I'm normally very slow in the morning and getting up too late.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I read this yesterday which I found interesting:

"A 2021 study jointly constructed by researchers from the University of Colorado, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University found an association between rising just an hour earlier than normal and a decreased risk of depression by 23 per cent".

23 per cent, that's massive (goes off to change alarm clock). I'm normally very slow in the morning and getting up too late.

Following a natural Circadian sleep-wake rhythm makes complete sense.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yesterday I was on NSC and felt terribly down and anxious. My comments may have inflamed, irritated and annoyed posters. That was never my intention but I feel I should explain and apologise.

I'm one of those people that follows the news very closely and all the bad things happening in the world right now. I feel sad for the people of Ukraine (that feeling has been ongoing for a few months), I mentioned the Liverpool shooting of the young girl that sadly lost her life but the one thing that is getting me sick with worry are the heating bills that may come to £3-4k this winter. I don't have that sort of money to pay and look after my elderly father in comfort. As we head towards autumn the scaremongering of the media seems as though it's intensifying to a level that is causing me panic attacks. I know everyone is in the same boat with the gas bills that will be sky high but I'm going to be put out of work soon due to staff cutbacks and my company suffering with the country on the brink of a recession. I go to bed at night and wish I won't wake up so that my problems will be over. That is incredibly selfish to my family and I feel dreadful saying it but I am making myself ill with worry about my savings being wiped out by a potentially very cold winter and seeing a figure of money that is just too much. I've thought about not putting on the heating this winter in my home but it could finish off my dad. I cannot do that.

I was just wondering if anybody else has these crippling anxiety worries and what advice they could give me? I couldn't face court if the bills don't get paid but we need a government to reassure people that there will be time and maybe allowances for those that don't have a lot of money.

Thanks in advance for advice and emotional support. Things are just getting too much that I can't cope. I'm going to take some time away from NSC as my worries can be misconstrued as digs towards other posters at times - they're not. I just feel so useless at the moment.

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think many, if any, of the people on here were too worried about your comments, especially as you came back later to explain.

However, many on here will be more concerned over your situation and will wish you all the best. I cannot offer any advice but I would say to keep posting on here if it helps you have somewhere to share your concerns.

Take care

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I try to keep up with the news by watching Sky News Live on Youtube and reading the guardian online but it is really depressing now to be honest so spend less time doing so.
Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson, climate change and extreme weather events, coronavirus still, monkey pox, war in Ukraine, China and cost of living crisis, the bad news just goes on and on.
But it's Friday, the sun is shining, I am seeing some improvements in my body after 10 weeks at the gym, Brighton are doing well and it's my step daughters birthday and about to hit the bar for lunch. So away from the news life is ok, for now ha ha 👍

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yesterday I was on NSC and felt terribly down and anxious. My comments may have inflamed, irritated and annoyed posters. That was never my intention but I feel I should explain and apologise.

I'm one of those people that follows the news very closely and all the bad things happening in the world right now. I feel sad for the people of Ukraine (that feeling has been ongoing for a few months), I mentioned the Liverpool shooting of the young girl that sadly lost her life but the one thing that is getting me sick with worry are the heating bills that may come to £3-4k this winter. I don't have that sort of money to pay and look after my elderly father in comfort. As we head towards autumn the scaremongering of the media seems as though it's intensifying to a level that is causing me panic attacks. I know everyone is in the same boat with the gas bills that will be sky high but I'm going to be put out of work soon due to staff cutbacks and my company suffering with the country on the brink of a recession. I go to bed at night and wish I won't wake up so that my problems will be over. That is incredibly selfish to my family and I feel dreadful saying it but I am making myself ill with worry about my savings being wiped out by a potentially very cold winter and seeing a figure of money that is just too much. I've thought about not putting on the heating this winter in my home but it could finish off my dad. I cannot do that.

I was just wondering if anybody else has these crippling anxiety worries and what advice they could give me? I couldn't face court if the bills don't get paid but we need a government to reassure people that there will be time and maybe allowances for those that don't have a lot of money.

Thanks in advance for advice and emotional support. Things are just getting too much that I can't cope. I'm going to take some time away from NSC as my worries can be misconstrued as digs towards other posters at times - they're not. I just feel so useless at the moment.

Sorry to hear that. As others have said I don't think anyone would take it to heart. Taking a break from NSC and social media could be a good idea. While many the sense of community and connection is good, for others and at other times it can make matters much worse

The only advice I can give is to have a look at this

https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/social-care/health-advice/mental-health/every-mind-matters
It has a some links or services that could be useful.

I hope things improve for you, you're definitely not the only one being worn down at the moment

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I share your worries and anxiety, it is perfectly normal to worry about some of the issues you are concerned about. You are also not alone in sometimes not wanting to wake up, I have a safe job, as does my wife and no money worries as you do, which makes me wonder why do I feel like I do, I have literally everything I could want. I push against things and always think the worst, at that harks back to past issues when I was young, I have attachment issues and can be very blasé about people, even my wife and child sometimes. Sad to say that, but I feel worthless and bound to fail, it is all to do with being left without a mother figure at the age of 6 months I get that she fecked off, and I hope she is dead, because it destroyed me emotionally and mentally and 53 years later I still feel worthless, and suffer from OCD and anxiety and the world is ultimately full of selfish, greedy, people and society is broken.
This sounds bad I know, and I do not want to depress you further, but what I am trying to say is you are not alone, and in moments of clarity and when I immerse myself in something be it work, reading, listening to music or just going for a walk, I can see happiness and light all around, when a child laughs, or couples hold hands and smile a funny joke.

My advise, is it is never as bad as you think, there will be help with bills, there is as others have shared help for your issues.
Go and get it, go for a walk, cutting out social media like facebook, Twitter or whatever helps immensely, also try to not watch the news, we are going the same way as America on that front, years ago when I first went, I was shocked how negative and scaremongering the news was, and laughed at it, thinking at least our news is not a sensationalist as that, oh but it is now.

Good luck Durlston, you seem like a nice person, your reactions sometimes remind me of how I respond in a cloud, no malice, just frustration with everything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi Durlston,

You'll be one of many millions in this country alone just now, worried sick about paying bills.

Here's my layman's advice:

Park for now; Ukraine, climate change, cruelty and other big issues you cannot control. There's a saying in therapy along the lines of" you can only give, once you're emotionally well and overflowing, ready to give. You come first right now".

Exercise, even if it's just walks. 5,000 or 10,000 step walks are fantastic, physically and for clearing the mind. Get out and see nature, garden, visit parks or the countryside.

Drink zero or very little booze, don't touch narcotics, avoid betting beyond literally a quid or two.

There's a huge shortage of job applicants across a wide array of careers/jobs, pay in increasing as a result for newcomers. Get looking and be open minded.

Finally, visit your GP and open up. You deserve the help of the NHS.

All the best, stay strong and you've already made a great first step by opening up :bowdown:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Each of us needs to be looking our for family, friends and neighbours this Winter IMHO. BBC appears to have taken over the Daily Express role of relentlessly scaring vulnerable old people

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here