Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Thanks, that’s good to hear, on the pills front and I’m glad to hear you are on the mend.

Walking....yes. Minimum of 10k steps a day if possible. Your phone will tell you how many you’ve done. And taking in what’s around you as well, the sounds, the ambience, rather than listening to music or chatting on phone.
I don’t think there’s anything better for depression than CV exercise. It’s so good for the brain.

Agreed, I sometimes listen to music running but haven't done that recently, the sound of the sea, not getting run over by a car and/or tripped over by the dog is always a bonus!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agreed, I sometimes listen to music running but haven't done that recently, the sound of the sea, not getting run over by a car and/or tripped over by the dog is always a bonus!

Same - I know listening to music when running/walking stops me relaxing , but I still do it most of the time.
Although I need the music for running to make my mind of the actual ball ache of running . I go into my own world which helps me get round, but probably means I’m not getting the mental break

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I have previously alluded to this on NSC but back in March, at the age of 55, I finally hit rock bottom, drink, depression, 'imposter' syndrome, it came all at once. After almost behaving like an ostrich for almost 4 years, went and got the help I needed, and I'm 257 days today without a Corona, my drug/drink of choice, but even more important than that I'm in a really good place, having rebuilt relationships with my children.

The most important things I found that its never too late to ask for help, there are more people out there struggling than any of us thought, the wise words of my Granny about a problem shared is a problem halved are bang on and perhaps the most significant thing is that however far away it may seem once you hit rock bottom and get help there is light at the end of the tunnel.

In anyone on here is struggling, feels crap and needs to talk please PM me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Same - I know listening to music when running/walking stops me relaxing , but I still do it most of the time.
Although I need the music for running to make my mind of the actual ball ache of running . I go into my own world which helps me get round, but probably means I’m not getting the mental break

running to the right music keeps you going, rhythmically, it is a ball ache and not particularly enjoyable. not like playing squash or football ( both out of the question!)

Time is the key in most issues . . .life is a rush, Mrs Zef keeps telling me to slow down and declutter my brain, too much going on.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
Just seen this. Depression and stress are like unwanted pals, in my experience. I find it hard to differentiate between the two.
I had a v bad period a month ago - a load of unrelated things stressing me out, my inability to deal with them effectively led to depression.
I’m guessing it came as shock to hear the doctor talk about depression. Best advice I can give you is to respect it, and manage it, by looking after yourself physically and mentally. In my experience It is like a dark cloud that eventually passes. Understand it, and you can learn to live with it.
I would only go down anti depressant route if you’ve already sorted out your lifestyle. If you’re a boozer , maybe give it a rest for a month or so, just until you’re feeling better about things ?
I am just some random dude on the internet though, not a doctor !

cheers Doc :)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Didn't realise this thread was so old, is there any a newer one? I was just wondering if anyone has tried the "Flow" headset and app with any positive results re depression and anxiety?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Didn't realise this thread was so old, is there any a newer one? I was just wondering if anyone has tried the "Flow" headset and app with any positive results re depression and anxiety?

No not tried that but what i have tried and continue to use everyday, is the Wim Hof Method app, in particular, the Breathing exercises and cold water therapy which has scientific foundation.

I have not taken an Anti depressant for nearly 4 months and all stress/depression completely gone. I also suffer with a bad back which i have not had any problems with since doing the method.

If people are struggling, I highly recommend looking into this Method and doing some research on it.

All i can say is it has changed my life and only wish I found it earlier.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
No not tried that but what i have tried and continue to use everyday, is the Wim Hof Method app, in particular, the Breathing exercises and cold water therapy which has scientific foundation.

I have not taken an Anti depressant for nearly 4 months and all stress/depression completely gone. I also suffer with a bad back which i have not had any problems with since doing the method.

If people are struggling, I highly recommend looking into this Method and doing some research on it.

Thanks for the headsup. I do enjoy cold showers (not at first but after a few minutes I love them). Have you got on with it just via the app? Or something more specific, individually or in a group type thing?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the headsup. I do enjoy cold showers (not at first but after a few minutes I love them). Have you got on with it just via the app? Or something more specific, individually or in a group type thing?
I use the app.

Me and my best mate tried it first and now my Brother in law is doing it and a few other people we know. We all subscribed to the app so can find and add each other in the community which allows us to see each others progress.

It is part of my daily routine so it's not like I need specific time to do it.

I wake up and do three rounds of breathing (always benefits more on an empty stomach) then up to have my normal shower and at the end I have a 2 min cold shower. As the breathing is so addictive, I do between 6 - 10 rounds when I get in from work.

The feeling I get whilst doing the breathing is something I can't explain, apart from I love the tingles, and it makes me feel so good.

It has 100% working for my mental health and the doctors said that my blood sugars are now low enough I may of reversed diabetes. I have a blood test in Feb to confirm.

Edit: Do some research on him and you will see for yourself what the method is capable off. He has literally changes science with this method.

D

Deleted member 2719

Ah Mr Hof is a proper geezer, love the guy.

I used his breathing method for focus and clarity and found it very good. Unfortunately I got out of the habit, it has reminded me to get back on it.
I would also recommend.:thumbsup:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Ah Mr Hof is a proper geezer, love the guy.

I used his breathing method for focus and clarity and found it very good. Unfortunately I got out of the habit, it has reminded me to get back on it.
I would also recommend.[emoji106]
He has a program coming out on BBC 1 next year doing the method with celebs.

Holly Willoughby and Lee Mack presenting.

D

Deleted member 2719

He has a program coming out on BBC 1 next year doing the method with celebs.

Holly Willoughby and Lee Mack presenting.

Hmmmmmmm pray Holly is doing these deep breathing exercises and also taking the cold showers.:lol:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I use the app.

Me and my best mate tried it first and now my Brother in law is doing it and a few other people we know. We all subscribed to the app so can find and add each other in the community which allows us to see each others progress.

It is part of my daily routine so it's not like I need specific time to do it.

I wake up and do three rounds of breathing (always benefits more on an empty stomach) then up to have my normal shower and at the end I have a 2 min cold shower. As the breathing is so addictive, I do between 6 - 10 rounds when I get in from work.

The feeling I get whilst doing the breathing is something I can't explain, apart from I love the tingles, and it makes me feel so good.

It has 100% working for my mental health and the doctors said that my blood sugars are now low enough I may of reversed diabetes. I have a blood test in Feb to confirm.

Edit: Do some research on him and you will see for yourself what the method is capable off. He has literally changes science with this method.

Thank you.

Sounds very simple for such amazing results! Will definitely look into.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
2021 is a mental challenge and struggle for most during the current climate in my honest opinion. Wish everyone the best :)

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Thank you.

Sounds very simple for such amazing results! Will definitely look into.

It can be a challenge now the cold mornings are here with the cold showers. I have claimed an ice bath (old freezer) from a friend which will sit in my dining room, filled with cold water and ice to take it to the next level. Now that will be very challenging on a cold winter's morning. :censored:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
so now they have got you all to take the jab they will be slowly but surely nudging you towards anti depressants , please try not to fold , the world is a nasty place at the moment .....we're all in it together ...xx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here