Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you worry that The Amex is getting a reputation as a nice place to visit?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I struggle to see how a couple of pints of local away ale can lose you a match.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As my first game was right at the end of the seventies, I can't really comment on atmosphere back then, but I have to guess that it consisted of more than fans breaking through a line of stewards, then voluntarily stopping well short of the opposing fans and waiting for the stewards to move them back so that they could carry on being scary from behind a line of stewards. That's what the Millwall fans did at the Amex. My ten year old daughter was laughing at their posturing. "Hold me back! No really, Hold me back. I wanted to look scary, but I don't want a banning order.'

Well one game at the goldstone, at the height of the troubles, millwall came down and their" treatment" squad were wearing surgical masks, that was one of the most terrifying evening I have ever had at football. There was no posturing, just premeditated violence. It was not enjoyable or romantic representation of the 70's.

Anyone who experienced Chelsea coming down here or practically every London club, including them homicildal maniacs that support West Ham will know how bad it got. There was an edge to the games and from afar( the chicken run for me and my mates) it looked exhilarating, but of course for those poor sods caught in it it was horrible.

Canvey island in the cup was one of the worst away days I have ever had!

Jan 30, 2008
It's so welcoming with local ales and food on sale in the concourse, the home fans clapping the away fans. It's also in a nice part of town in a nice City. It's a bit of a jolly for away fans and from the outside it appears that, that attitude is spreading to the teams who are enjoying their day out.

As opposed to say KC or Portman Road where you know there will be a hostile atmosphere and no matter how those respective teams are playing you know you'll get a tough game.
to many tobys and tarquins
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
To be honest one of the most exciting thing that has happened at the Amex in years was when millwall fans decided to storm the covered over bit of the south stand to get at the fans in the corner.

It was like a throwback to the 70's but it didn't half get the fans going.

Bring back more rioting....we know it makes sense
some home fans got warned about their conduct that night :nono:
regards
DR

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Well one game at the goldstone, at the height of the troubles, millwall came down and their" treatment" squad were wearing surgical masks, that was one of the most terrifying evening I have ever had at football. There was no posturing, just premeditated violence. It was not enjoyable or romantic representation of the 70's.

mill.JPG

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'd suggest that we need a Welcome To Hell banner, but someone would only go and lose it.

Jan 30, 2008

Anyone who experienced Chelsea coming down here or practically every London club, including them homicildal maniacs that support West Ham will know how bad it got. There was an edge to the games and from afar( the chicken run for me and my mates) it looked exhilarating, but of course for those poor sods caught in it it was horrible.

Canvey island in the cup was one of the worst away days I have ever had!
copped one in the south stand against w/ham 3 of them in the seats as I walked by and copped one in the eye lovely !
regards
DR

Dec 6, 2015
The Boro? I quite like Peterborough.

Aye good crack chuckles.

Speaking of Peterborough, what a shit hole their ground is but how much fun is it to visit? Proper football ground and what a nice place Peterborough is good day/night on the beer up there. I hope we get to play them in the cup some time.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
They were originally in the SE corner but the family stand complained about the opposition fans, so they were moved round the corner. Then the family stand was moved nearer the north stand and the players/staff have the southern end of the east stand. It doesn't make sense.

The family section in the East Stand has always been at the North stand end.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Point of order: For away fans, it feels like a remote part of the city.
Why....how many new grounds are in the city centre these days?.....a quick 2 stop jaunt to a dedicated station 100m from the ground..easy peasy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here