Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you worry that The Amex is getting a reputation as a nice place to visit?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We need an Amex Band sorry those don't like it but we need to up the atmosphere .

Instead of the archetypal football one beat drum gimps.
How about Brighton putting out invitations to local Sussex brass bands to play SBTS or ROF at the beginning and half time of games to liven the home support?
Cannot beat live music :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's so welcoming with local ales and food on sale in the concourse, the home fans clapping the away fans. It's also in a nice part of town in a nice City. It's a bit of a jolly for away fans and from the outside it appears that, that attitude is spreading to the teams who are enjoying their day out.

As opposed to say KC or Portman Road where you know there will be a hostile atmosphere and no matter how those respective teams are playing you know you'll get a tough game.

14 posts and that's the best you can do. I smell the scum, or at least someone who's never been to a football match on the East Coast.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
It's so welcoming with local ales and food on sale in the concourse, the home fans clapping the away fans. It's also in a nice part of town in a nice City. It's a bit of a jolly for away fans and from the outside it appears that, that attitude is spreading to the teams who are enjoying their day out.

As opposed to say KC or Portman Road where you know there will be a hostile atmosphere and no matter how those respective teams are playing you know you'll get a tough game.

It's been many a year since Portman Road has seen a hostile atmosphere. One of the quietest grounds in the league.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If anyone 'worries' about something so trivial they must be a nervous wreck.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Portman Road?..... hardly intimidating in that corner of leafy Suffolk.

Did you ever try Ninian Park, The Victoria Ground, The Den, Bramall Lane... etc etc

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
18 years ago we were relying on the help and support of fans of other clubs just to keep us alive, so I don't see why showing a bit of class to visitors is cringeworthy.

It's a weird concept...being friendly is somehow a bad thing. Fans must be angry, rude, hostile all the time. Drink 18 pints before the game, then I assume headbutt a nun and go home to beat the wife mercilessly.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Always wondered at the applause when the attendance is announced. Personally I clap because it's normally a great attendance and I am applauding my fellow fans, if the away side has brought a load, fair play to them, but there is no gap between announcing the total, then the away support, so how many are applauding each is up in the air

Exactly. Most of the time I'm applauding OUR attendance. The only exception might be a non-League club bringing a decent number in the cup.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Too over friendly at times extremely cringeworthy.

" Good shot that superb young man from Palace what ,what ? "
Pathetic when clapping for the away fans too.

Put some venom into it FFS

Make the South Corner the mental fan area liven it up a bit !!

Bit you can't go mental because you'd be thrown out and banned. Besides we're all a bit mental for being there in the first place. No disrespect to mentalists, I'm just continuing the use of language prior etc blah blah don't have a go at me etc

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's a weird concept...being friendly is somehow a bad thing. Fans must be angry, rude, hostile all the time. Drink 18 pints before the game, then I assume headbutt a nun and go home to beat the wife mercilessly.

You don't see enough Nuns these days in our godless society. Dare I say you might need to find an alternative?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've been saying it for a long time. Put the away fans in the corner of the ground like we suffer in most grounds away from home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Good point. Explains why we lose all our home games.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've been saying it for a long time. Put the away fans in the corner of the ground like we suffer in most grounds away from home.

Make them as welcome as possible, fleece as much money from them as we can, but I've never seen the benefit of allowing them to barrack our keeper for half a game when we could have the ability to barrack theirs for the whole game.

However, this was debated to death in the early Amex years when Poyet said he wanted home fans behind both goals. The stadium was designed to be sectioned off with partitions at a number of different points so we could give a little or a lot of space to the opposition fans (with appropriate numbers of exits/toilets/kiosks/etc). Unfortunately, these partitions were put in the South stand and it was too expensive to redesign the stadium and move all these essential components. They should be in the SE corner and larger clubs given a section of the South, but the area behind the goal saved for STH.

Dec 6, 2015
Portman Road?..... hardly intimidating in that corner of leafy Suffolk.

Did you ever try Ninian Park, The Victoria Ground, The Den, Bramall Lane... etc etc

I was just thinking of grounds in the championship that I hate visiting and I never mentioned intimidating because let's face it, no ground is intimidating in this day in age. However at those two grounds and St Andrews to a certain extent you always feel you're in for a game and it's a bit of a dour place to visit.

Even with a top of the table clash, the Amex has a 'they're a nice bunch' feel to it.

I just wondered if it was something that Brighton fans were conscious of and if it concerned you. The consensus appears to be no but I see a few posts that contradict that.

One of the reasons I wonder about this is because Ayesome Park was often referred to as Suicide Park and it had a really nasty feel to it. However when we moved to the Riverside the whole atmosphere changed to a more family environment and the Geordies and mackems would call us the foam finger brigade. However the most successful period of the club shortly followed so I don't think It had any effect on what happened on the pitch; until we dropped a division.

The Amex feels like a place where we'll be looked after and served Parmo's (even if they were poor attempts the sentiment was there) and be clapped at. However as someone pointed out earlier we just appear to always do well at your place so maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

And for those that seem to have gotten their nickers in a twist over my comments - chill out cupcakes I was only asking.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was just thinking of grounds in the championship that I hate visiting and I never mentioned intimidating because let's face it, no ground is intimidating in this day in age. However at those two grounds and St Andrews to a certain extent you always feel you're in for a game and it's a bit of a dour place to visit.

Even with a top of the table clash, the Amex has a 'they're a nice bunch' feel to it.

I just wondered if it was something that Brighton fans were conscious of and if it concerned you. The consensus appears to be no but I see a few posts that contradict that.

One of the reasons I wonder about this is because Ayesome Park was often referred to as Suicide Park and it had a really nasty feel to it. However when we moved to the Riverside the whole atmosphere changed to a more family environment and the Geordies and mackems would call us the foam finger brigade. However the most successful period of the club shortly followed so I don't think It had any effect on what happened on the pitch; until we dropped a division.

The Amex feels like a place where we'll be looked after and served Parmo's (even if they were poor attempts the sentiment was there) and be clapped at. However as someone pointed out earlier we just appear to always do well at your place so maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

And for those that seem to have gotten their nickers in a twist over my comments - chill out cupcakes I was only asking.

Fair enough.

Our home record, is P12 W8 D2 L2 so the lack of nastiness doesn't really seem to be too damaging, unless its a VERY recent thing.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

I don't know why this would bother a Palace fan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Make them as welcome as possible, fleece as much money from them as we can, but I've never seen the benefit of allowing them to barrack our keeper for half a game when we could have the ability to barrack theirs for the whole game.

However, this was debated to death in the early Amex years when Poyet said he wanted home fans behind both goals. The stadium was designed to be sectioned off with partitions at a number of different points so we could give a little or a lot of space to the opposition fans (with appropriate numbers of exits/toilets/kiosks/etc). Unfortunately, these partitions were put in the South stand and it was too expensive to redesign the stadium and move all these essential components. They should be in the SE corner and larger clubs given a section of the South, but the area behind the goal saved for STH.

They were originally in the SE corner but the family stand complained about the opposition fans, so they were moved round the corner. Then the family stand was moved nearer the north stand and the players/staff have the southern end of the east stand. It doesn't make sense.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
They were originally in the SE corner but the family stand complained about the opposition fans, so they were moved round the corner. Then the family stand was moved nearer the north stand and the players/staff have the southern end of the east stand. It doesn't make sense.

This has been pointed out numerous times yet still there is someone who pipes up every week saying "put the away fans in the corner" :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here