Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Tony Bloom is going to "go for it" this season?

Do you think Tony Bloom is going to "go for it" this season?

• Yes

Votes: 41 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 107 72.3%

• Total voters

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Point taken - and I also note that 19 out of the 20 PL clubs made a profit. I guess the point I was trying to make is that you don't have to spend way beyond your means to get out of the Championship if you have all the right components in place.

True. Which just makes Recruitment the single most important factor. Here's hoping we've sorted it out...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So the key question for me is whether Hewton/Calderwood/Jones (if he stays) are the men to do this. They starts from a much more advantageous position than either Mullery or Poyet given that we are aleady in the Championship and I guess the recruits we bring in over the next few weeks, the extent of their successsful integration into a strong team ethos and Hewton's man management and motivational skills will evidence the extent to which we have unearthed "the knack" this time around. I have my reservations.

Is there some rule somewhere that we can only spell the manager's name correctly after he's left, or does it just take some people longer than others to learn how to spell it?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is there some rule somewhere that we can only spell the manager's name correctly after he's left, or does it just take some people longer than others to learn how to spell it?

I've always assumed that those misspelling Hooton's surname are doing so either ironically or in some ill-advised attempt to be humorous. Poor fools.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think you make some very good points, and I hope you are right. We should be "going for it" every season but the wheels fell off last time for reasons which are unclear to me. It just didn't gel in games when it often should have.

How more clear could Hyypia be? He stood out like Nelson's Column.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily follow that promotion to the PL = untold riches. As ever, there is a knack to this in the same way as there is a knack to getting out of the Championship from the position we are currently in without spending a bucketload of dosh (think Palace, Burnley et al). The problem with the Premiership is that not only does your income massively increase but to be competitive your costs increase commensurately (i.e. if you dont play it right at best income = expenditure, at worst expenditure exceeds income but by a much bigger factor than is currently the case). The key of course is bringing in the right manager, with the right support team who then recruits the right (not the most expensive) players and who builds the right team ethos and is able to motivate those players to go through brick walls for Brighton & Hove Albion. Alan Mullery is the only Albion manager to have achieved this final step so far in our club's history (with a fair bit of help from Peter Taylor). GP nearly did it but we all know what happened there (well we dont actually!). So the key question for me is whether Hewton/Calderwood/Jones (if he stays) are the men to do this. They starts from a much more advantageous position than either Mullery or Poyet given that we are aleady in the Championship and I guess the recruits we bring in over the next few weeks, the extent of their successsful integration into a strong team ethos and Hewton's man management and motivational skills will evidence the extent to which we have unearthed "the knack" this time around. I have my reservations.

Good points. Palace's success was based on the South London Academy. That meant (although Pulis might have changed it by buying Crouch et al) that they had a nucleus of local lads on lower salaries who would "die for the shirt".

That's what Albion must seek to emulate with their youth policy. Get young players like Solly March who WANT to play in the PM and have the necessary potential to do so.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Good points. Palace's success was based on the South London Academy.... they had a nucleus of local lads on lower salaries who would "die for the shirt".

Zaha. definitely. But who else who played regularly that season. ?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
How more clear could Hyypia be? He stood out like Nelson's Column.

He wasn't the only problem though as we had some good players but they failed to perform. We made some bad mistakes in selling players and unsure what input he would have had in that. I only hope we get it right this time round but I wonder how motivating Chris Hughton is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here