Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Tony Bloom is going to "go for it" this season?

Do you think Tony Bloom is going to "go for it" this season?

• Yes

Votes: 41 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 107 72.3%

• Total voters

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He'll have to go for it as much as actually signing good players and build a decent player in all positions squad. He doesn't have to throw 5-6mil on one signing but spend 10-12m on about 5 good players. No one will put up with what we had last season and BHAFC can't afford to lose another 2 or 3k sth's or their 1901. Lots of 1901 are waiting to see how much investment comes this summer.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's always stated the club must sustain itself,so going by that he won't going silly.
The biggest issue by a country mile is the millions wasted on poor recruitment as you don't actually need to spend shite loads to get out this division.In recent seasons we've been getting in last minute shite players to add to the squad and more importantly we are stuck in a time warp of playing boring defensive football.
If we can actually build a team that attacks and scores goals we'll actually make progress I'm sure,but with hooton in charge I get the feeling it'll be another bore fest sadly.
Still think keeping on Greer,caldy and Bruno was a big mistake and the loyalty card will cost us :(

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ludicrous, he is the richest owner in the division and I think his keenness to go 'straight up' when we first hit this div will now go into overdrive with little Bournemouth and his ex friend & colleague's Brentford unbelievably finishing above us.
He will be like a swan, serene to view but privately fuming and & now jolted into serious action.
With Ladbrokes, Hills & PP all lowering our price significantly before a signing would only have happened on the back of decent 'in the know' money
The cork has popped out of the bottle
I do genuinely wonder whether theses posts are all an elaborate joke or whether the people writing them all actually believe what they are saying.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He'll 'go for it'. He has to after last season's shambles.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I voted yes but I'm not sure he'll completely go for it. However, I agree with those who say that last season will have affected his thinking. The potential of not spending money and then going down is unthinkable and would lose the club so much money. I think, as Hughton said in the Argus, there is definitely funds available and we clearly have bid over £1 million for the Iranian winger (even if we don't get him). There was transfer money left from last season and we've got the stay up money for Buckley and Ulloa, which should allow us to invest. We'll see what happens but I think the team that starts the first game of the season will be unrecognisable from last season (or is that wishful thinking) and that we'll see this process start this week judging by comments from Bozza and others on here.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No and more so is Hughton to man capable of delivering the promised land anyway ? The dreadful end to the season and stats suggest he is not. I think Bloom is happy to sit it out and as long as we don't go down I don't think there is any desire or urgency to get promoted at all. Everything that has happened in the last 2 years suggests the initial enthusiasm has gone and we are now a selling club. I am sure there is a long term plan but the initial strategy of the 5 year plan has been seriously derailed, unless we get promoted next season in and for whatever reason there are many clubs more attractive to decent players than BHAFC despite the stadium and training facilities and that is a major worry and concern. The bookies have us mid table and I think that is about right or a bit lower

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Spending wisely is what I want not just throw money at it, that rarely works. You don't have to spend big to go up

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No and more so is Houghton to man capable of delivering the promised land anyway ? The dreadful end to the season and stats suggest he is not. I think Bloom is happy to sit it out and as long as we don't go down I don't think there is any desire or urgency to get promoted at all. Everything that has happened in the last 2 years suggests the initial enthusiasm has gone and we are now a selling club. I am sure there is a long term plan but the initial strategy of the 5 year plan has been seriously derailed, unless we get promoted next season in and for whatever reason there are many clubs more attractive to decent players than BHAFC despite the stadium and training facilities and that is a major worry and concern. The bookies have us mid table and I think that is about right or a bit lower

I think it's a bit harsh to judge Hughton on the end of last season. It was awful but, if you look at the options he had available, it is not that surprising. In late February/early March we were playing well but losing Baldock (having already lost March) left us very short of players. Our striker options of CMS, Best and O'Grady scored 2 goals between them in the league.

We need to give him time to build his squad. His one permanent signing last season (Kayal) was quite cheap and very impressive. Hopefully he can bring in more of the same this season.

As for selling club, of course we are. When you're a Championship club and Premier League clubs want your players, it's very difficult to hold on to them. However, we're getting good money for these players now and not selling on the cheap. The money we got for Buckley and Ulloa last summer wasn't the issue. The issue was who we brought in to replace them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know where your £13m came from - £39m allowable FFP loss over 3 years. However, afaik, there's no restriction on how much loss you can make in any one year, providing you can credibly say that you're only going to lose £39m over 3 years. So, perhaps this year he could choose to lose, say, £20m...?
We're not in a good position to go for it, as we don't have a decent team/base to build from, we're starting from scratch. And losing £20m would have huge implications for the following years, as the loss would reflect the wages of players that will still be here the following season - so a £20m loss this year would mean selling next summer to make the books balance. I think we're more likely to 'go for it' 3 years running, losing £13m each year, if TB can afford it.

EDIT - just seen nwgull's post which makes the speculation a bit redundant.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
He has to, with the 5 year renewals at the end of the season, we have to mount at least a play-off challenge which still puts us in the mix going into the last 4/5 games.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No and more so is Hughton to man capable of delivering the promised land anyway ? The dreadful end to the season and stats suggest he is not. I think Bloom is happy to sit it out and as long as we don't go down I don't think there is any desire or urgency to get promoted at all. Everything that has happened in the last 2 years suggests the initial enthusiasm has gone and we are now a selling club. I am sure there is a long term plan but the initial strategy of the 5 year plan has been seriously derailed, unless we get promoted next season in and for whatever reason there are many clubs more attractive to decent players than BHAFC despite the stadium and training facilities and that is a major worry and concern. The bookies have us mid table and I think that is about right or a bit lower

No desire to be promoted?? Come on US.....really

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He doesn't 'have' to do anything. He can do what he likes with his money. He probably will, but that's a different thing.

I should have said something like... if he doesn't want a mass exodus of 1901ers and further ST sales reduction, then he'll have to 'go for it'. Sorry for not being clear...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think it's a bit harsh to judge Hughton on the end of last season. It was awful but, if you look at the options he had available, it is not that surprising. In late February/early March we were playing well but losing Baldock (having already lost March) left us very short of players. Our striker options of CMS, Best and O'Grady scored 2 goals between them in the league.

We need to give him time to build his squad. His one permanent signing last season (Kayal) was quite cheap and very impressive. Hopefully he can bring in more of the same this season.

As for selling club, of course we are. When you're a Championship club and Premier League clubs want your players, it's very difficult to hold on to them. However, we're getting good money for these players now and not selling on the cheap. The money we got for Buckley and Ulloa last summer wasn't the issue. The issue was who we brought in to replace them.
I don't buy this "options available" rubbish as the tactics were pathetic and a good manager would have more than one player in the box when attacking.The players were not motivated either going by performances...The squad isn't or wasn't as bad as many are making out.The tactics and coaching were bloody shite.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
In previous seasons he's "gone for it" more than most of the other clubs.

Mmm, agree with you on all the other seasons, but the one just passed? I don't think it's to much a stretch to ksay that the family silver was replaced with something akin to play-dough in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here