Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think that Gus will start with Barnes a start tomorrow?

Will Gus give Barnes a start tomorrow?

• Total voters

Jul 7, 2003
Barnes will probably start on the bench as Gus won't trust him not to get over excited and do something stupid. Three pages in though and the obvious swap for Hammond has not been mentioned - Crofts - a player who can track back but also good at attacking on the break.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Barnes would be targeted, his doesn't have the big game temperament, at the moment, and it would be too much of a risk to lose a player for this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
with Murray out and possibly cry baby jonny Williams, we will have too much for them.
Williams had cramp, is it usual not to recover within 3 days?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't want to see both strikers on the pitch from the start in case it goes into extra time.

Exactly my thoughts

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
I think he is too much of a risk to start from the kick off. I would bring him on for the last third IF we need to.:goal:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To me, this is far less of a concern than wondering whether Gus has a plan B for if Holloway STARTS Zaha on the left. We all saw what happened when worzel switched him to the left flank on Friday night.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder if he may play him on the right to support Calderon
And not play Buckley - madness. We did fine on Friday, and the bigger pitch will suit our passing and also suit a pacey winger.

Palace are without a couple of players (Dobbie, Murray) and Williams and Kevin Phillips are not likely to enjoy a full 90 mins, so if it goes to extra time it should suit us (the team, not the fans' nerves), so it makes no sense for us to start with both strikers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And not play Buckley - madness. We did fine on Friday, and the bigger pitch will suit our passing and also suit a pacey winger.

Palace are without a couple of players (Dobbie, Murray) and Williams and Kevin Phillips are not likely to enjoy a full 90 mins, so if it goes to extra time it should suit us (the team, not the fans' nerves), so it makes no sense for us to start with both strikers.

He can still play buckley, maybe give him a more free roaming role behind Ulloa.. Or alternatively, have buckley on the bench and start lualua on the left, bring use buckley as the 'bring on when opposition is tired' player.

Besides, I only wondered because when the full backs look vulnerable Gus does have a habit of using barnes as protection - usually playing him when painter is on the left. Caldy looked vulnerable second half, so Gus might feel more comfortable with that support. I'm not saying he should (or shouldn't, I don't know I'd make a lousy football manager), just looking at Gus's past form.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or alternatively, have buckley on the bench and start lualua on the left, bring use buckley as the 'bring on when opposition is tired' player.
Better the other way around in my opinion, Palace will come at us at the start, and Buckley will do better while the game is open. Later on if Palace are dropping deep, that's when we're better with Kaz running at them and either getting to the line to pull the ball back, or cutting inside and shooting.

Besides, I only wondered because when the full backs look vulnerable Gus does have a habit of using barnes as protection - usually playing him when painter is on the left.
Yes we have done that on the left, but not on the right, and I don't see the reason to start now. Zaha is skilful and will get past his man a few times, we just have to have someone else close by and hope their strikers miss when they do get a chance. Palace's biggest weakness is their defence, so we should be going at them from the start, not changing our line-up to deal with one of the few threats they have - that would be playing in to their hands. We're better than them, we're at home, we should play our game and beat them.

Yoda

English & European
I would like to see this starting line and really go for them from the off.

Kuszczak
Calderon - Greer - Upson - Bridge
Hammond - Bridcutt
Buckley - Vicente - LuaLua
Ulloa

Subs
Ankergren, Painter, El-Abd, Crofts, Orlandi, Lopez & Barnes

Leaves us with a nice all round bench covering every possible outcome.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope so, not for any tactical reasons, but it'll piss off quite a few on here......which amuses me.

:)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't think Barnes will start but I hope he does, just feel with him and Ulloa on the pitch we may be able to get a couple of goals and ease any need for further strikers on the bench.

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
I would like to see this starting line and really go for them from the off.

Kuszczak
Hammond - Bridcutt
Buckley - Vicente - LuaLua
Ulloa

Subs
Ankergren, Painter, El-Abd, Crofts, Orlandi, Lopez & Barnes

Leaves us with a nice all round bench covering every possible outcome.

why would you resort to going to a formation that aint worked for us? i think we tried the 4-2-3-1 at Selhurst Park when we first played them this season and we got raped, we should stick with the 4-5-1 we have been playing, there is no way Lopez will be dropped, Orlandi maybe but Lopez wont be, Vicente is a better impact player

if we dont go with the side that beat Palace back in March, i see it looking like this now i think of it more

Kuszczak
Bridcutt
Lopez - Hammond
Buckley - Ulloa - LuaLua

Subs
Ankergren, El-Abd, Painter, Crofts, Orlandi, Vicente, Barnes

I feel this would be a strong enough side to beat Palace with the cover on the bench as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here