Do you think TB will allow CH to spend big on players this summer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will TB let CH spend big money this summer?

• Total voters

There is nothing TB has ever done to suggest he will ever "spend big" in this division

I disagree - he has done it three times - £2mill or near - with CMS, Ulloa and Baldock. He just did it badly with 2 out of the 3.

He needs to do it again AND get his team of Moneyball stats researchers to properly earn their own money this time.

Fulham....£10.5 million...McCormack....guaranteed promotion?

Yawn - this is tired stuff. You can spend another 100 pages talking about expensive flops and inexpensive genuises if you like. But you know you'll be dodging the real issue, do we massively increase our chances by spending some money and spending it well

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ah, so simple!

You really reject any correlation between spending money and success? Has the FFP dogma so addled all our brains now

I don't reject any correlation, and have spreadsheets that show there is an analogy between wage bills and league position (although the correlation in this division is by far the weakest of the main divisions in Europe).

QPR spent £76 million on wages last season, compared to the Albion's £21 million, and they only just scraped through the playoffs. If you want us to compete, where should the extra £50m plus come from? It works out at about £2,000 per fan. How many would be willing to pay that?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yawn - this is tired stuff. You can spend another 100 pages talking about expensive flops and inexpensive genuises if you like. But you know you'll be dodging the real issue, do we massively increase our chances by spending some money and spending it well

OK, but are you willing to spend an extra £2,000 on a season ticket next season?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It doesnt need to be big spending on names taking Kayal and Stephens as examples rather than McCormack to Fulham but players that can do the job. Our CBs are all getting old we need to bring on Glen Rea but it will be some time probably about 3 - 5 years, before any player emerges from the academy for the first team. Can we stand still for that time, I hope not at my age.

My concern with Stephens as he appears to be injury prone...want that one of the reasons we got him fairly cheap from Charlton? We have had a string of injury prone midfielders...Orlandi, Stephens, crofts, kemi Vicente etc. I suppose it comes with the territory that the really fit players who are half decent will be swallowed up by the premiership sides and then like tex will be looked to be loaned out.

I really do hope we can sort out a team of at least 20 players who are all of ours and only really look to use loanees if we had an injury crisis or were finding it particularly difficult to fill a place in the team, say a cover for a full back.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I picked other.

It's not the fact that the chairman will or will not splash the cash but it is fair to say that our problem with transfer policy was Burke. It just didn't work.

Now Hughton has more power than Hyypia, Garcia and Poyet (in his latter stages at the club) in how transfers are dealt it will be more to do with how the manager approaches it. Hughton has dealt with similar budgets and been very successful with that, it's just the question of will he do it with us next season?

Is it complicated? Well no because the simple answer to that it was all (or at the very least 90%) of transfers gone by was Burke's fault.

I don't reject any correlation, and have spreadsheets that show there is an analogy between wage bills and league position (although the correlation in this division is by far the weakest of the main divisions in Europe).

QPR spent £76 million on wages last season, compared to the Albion's £21 million, and they only just scraped through the playoffs. If you want us to compete, where should the extra £50m plus come from? It works out at about £2,000 per fan. How many would be willing to pay that?

The QPR stuff another meaningless distraction. I really hope you don't set your students these pointless exercises

But pleased you concede the principal point. What would be a constructive discussion now is how much we should spend to help buy us into that positive correlation you cite.

I maintain something in the region of the £3m purchase of Callum Wilson (someone like him) could catapult us into where Bmuff are now - contending for auto promotion - together with more lower cost canny purchases and free transfers

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The QPR stuff another meaningless distraction. I really hope you don't set your students these pointless exercises

But pleased you concede the principal point. What would be a constructive discussion now is how much we should spend to help buy us into that positive correlation you cite.

I maintain something in the region of the £3m purchase of Callum Wilson (someone like him) could catapult us into where Bmuff are now - contending for auto promotion - together with more lower cost canny purchases and free transfers

If you mean spend a lot of money on a League 1 striker with no experience in this division and one good season in League 1, we have done that, more than once. It's a lottery, and being wise with (a) hindsight and (b) someone else's money is a piece of cake.

If you mean spend a lot of money on a League 1 striker with no experience in this division and one good season in League 1, we have done that, more than once. It's a lottery, and being wise with (a) hindsight and (b) someone else's money is a piece of cake.

Nah, you're just giving up and saying spending money is a waste of time as another argumentative empty gesture - something your own admittance of a correlation between spending and success showed wasn't true. The only thing we can draw from this is you should stick to the spreadsheets and don't ever apply to our scouting structure.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nah, you're just giving up and saying spending money is a waste of time as another argumentative empty gesture - something your own admittance of a correlation between spending and success showed wasn't true. The only thing we can draw from this is you should stick to the spreadsheets and don't ever apply to our scouting structure.

We have spent money, the wage bill for the last two seasons was the highest in the history of the club. As for the correlation, it's between wages and end of season position, and as I pointed out, this division has the weakest correlation.

As for the constant snide comments, you do yourself no favours.

We have spent money, the wage bill for the last two seasons was the highest in the history of the club. As for the correlation, it's between wages and end of season position, and as I pointed out, this division has the weakest correlation.

As for the constant snide comments, you do yourself no favours.

I'm sorry, but you are a windbag. Stop with the ceaseless flow of non sequiturs on here and you'll get more love, from me at least.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sorry, but you are a windbag. Stop with the ceaseless flow of non sequiturs on here and you'll get more love, from me at least.

When you can't debate with facts, you resort to insults. As a financial journalist I thought you would be better than that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, please do. We signed Murray about 6 years ago and managed to **** up with his departure too, which is very galling.. The other examples are exceptions, as you well know. Look at our track record with cheap or loan strikers and then at how many of the clubs that are challenging in the Championship have these bargain strikers. Yes of course it would be great to get one but if the club are basing their striker recruitment on unearthing a gem that is cheap and up to this division then I won't be holding my breath about next season.

Are you actually employed by the club????? I suspect that you might be :smile:

Sorry Icy, but Jem is on much firmer ground than you on this thread. While he does seem like an outpost from the club's marketing department at times, you've been in a right strop for a while now.
Let's take Middlesborough, who not only have a number of midfield players scoring goals (Leadbetter, Clayton and Adomah), but also have four goalscoring forwards. Of these, the ones with the highest fees have actually performed less well than those that haven't:
Kike c£3m
Vossen costly loan
Bamford loan
Tomlin not so much

Or you could take Ighalo at Watford.
I'm sure that the wages on offer is going to be far more important than transfer fee.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry Icy, but Jem is on much firmer ground than you on this thread. While he does seem like an outpost from the club's marketing department at times, you've been in a right strop for a while now.
Let's take Middlesborough, who not only have a number of midfield players scoring goals (Leadbetter, Clayton and Adomah), but also have four goalscoring forwards. Of these, the ones with the highest fees have actually performed less well than those that haven't:
Kike c£3m
Vossen costly loan
Bamford loan
Tomlin not so much

Or you could take Ighalo at Watford.
I'm sure that the wages on offer is going to be far more important than transfer fee.

I am happy to accept that Chaileyjem talks sense and puts his points across well, he is way more sanguine than me in his reactions to the shit that this season has been.

Yeah I have been in a strop most of this season...

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I believe Tony will fulfill CH wish list this summer. Money in football does not necessary buy success but it don't half go a long way in helping. You want the best players, they in turn want to earn the best money.......etc etc. Our problem with strikers (less Ulloa) is that we play them in a system that is total counter to their previous successes, ie, CMS and Baldock as loan hunters. they are not and probably never will be. Defence needs a major overhaul, offer Calde one year deal mainly as a back up as he looks to take a roll in the academy/coaching. Greer is shot and will need replacing, midfield is sound with Ince hopefully developing even further. If money was in abundance would replace Stockdale with Al habsi, but I think wages would be prohibitive. But in a nutshell, TB will spash the cash for CH.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am happy to accept that Chaileyjem talks sense and puts his points across well, he is way more sanguine than me in his reactions to the shit that this season has been.

Yeah I have been in a strop most of this season...

To be fair none of us have been happy chappies with what has been served up week after week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports