Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think TB will allow CH to spend big on players this summer

Will TB let CH spend big money this summer?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Free up CMS's and Kemy's wages and we'll have enough to sign at least 1 decent striker.

Much is being made of who we need to get shot of, but how confident are you that CH will be given a war chest big enough to replace these players with players who will be an improvement?

I am not at all convinced we will be spending any more than we did this season as we have been told this is the highest paid team we have ever had.

Taking into account the lack of income from outgoing players this year, what makes you think TB is suddenly going to splash the cash on the playing front

I think we'll be marking time and trying to stay in this division until the academy produces.

We will be condemned to being midtable fodder if we dont spend.

It's all very well going on about Kayal but it's very unlikley you can build a promotion team on freebies. Of course not impossible, just very unlikely. And the board need to do a better job backing Hughton than that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is the correct answer. See Beram Kayal as a very good example.

Yup, spending wisely is the way forward. There's doubtless a few more hidden gems like Kayal that CH will be aiming to get in over the Summer. And he'll hopefully not hold back on having a clear out to make way for them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Much is being made of who we need to get shot of, but how confident are you that CH will be given a war chest big enough to replace these players with players who will be an improvement?

I am not at all convinced we will be spending any more than we did this season as we have been told this is the highest paid team we have ever had.

Taking into account the lack of income from outgoing players this year, what makes you think TB is suddenly going to splash the cash on the playing front

I think we'll be marking time and trying to stay in this division until the academy produces.

CH is a very astute manager and will have already earmarked some players he wants, which I think means they won't neccessarily be expensive, we already have a good squad which will be tinkered with in the Summer, just needs adding too and some will be on their way

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bring in a decent striker, a winger, a replacement for Tex, a central defender, and a left back, as a minimum and we'll be fine. A 2nd strker would be a welcome bonus.

Let 11 players ( incuding loans ) go to fund this, and offer Calderon another year.

Job done. The wages saved on CMS and Kemy will go a long way towards funding the decent striker.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Who is this decent striker we could get and afford Bobby Zamora?

I would like to see them write off any money Leicester owe still on Ulloa and get him back.

No idea. I'm sure there is one somewhere that the paid professionals can identify.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CH is a very astute manager and will have already earmarked some players he wants, which I think means they won't neccessarily be expensive, we already have a good squad which will be tinkered with in the Summer, just needs adding too and some will be on their way

It'll be a refreshing change for the club to spend the Summer tinkering with the squad rather than interviewing prospective managers. Hoorah!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

It's all very well going on about Kayal but it's very unlikley you can build a promotion team on freebies. Of course not impossible, just very unlikely. And the board need to do a better job backing Hughton than that.

How much did the likes of Burnley, Blackpool and Palace splash before gaining promotion to the PL?

I very much doubt that they went big and still succeeded

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No idea. I'm sure there is one somewhere that the paid professionals can identify.

There are probably more clubs out there looking for these players than there are players so it is never as easy to do as a lot of fans make out that it is to find them aand there isn't any guarentee that if we do find one, that he would sign for us anyway (see Grabban).

It may take a few seasons to find someone (as it did to replace Zamora and Murray)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've already let go (sort of) Collunga, McCourt and Toko. Add Kemy and CMS to that and that should free up some significant wages without even exceeding this year's wage bill.

I think the key is spending wisely on a more streamlined squad of 18-20 senior players plus a handful of DS who can step up when injuries or suspensions kick in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic I wonder if we will continue to rely on the loan market for a left back as we have for the last three seasons

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We've already let go (sort of) Collunga, McCourt and Toko. Add Kemy and CMS to that and that should free up some significant wages without even exceeding this year's wage bill.

I think the key is spending wisely on a more streamlined squad of 18-20 senior players plus a handful of DS who can step up when injuries or suspensions kick in.

Our squad isn't going to be a) smaller or b) cheaper cos we've let a couple of players go (who NSC thinks are paid the big bucks)

It will be the same size (23 or 24 as it is now), with a higher wage bill than last year (inevitable).
The problem isn't having too large a squad (it isn't), or not paying a big enough wage bill (we already fund a squad in top 10 of Champ wage bills) , or avoiding paying for some players who don't play cos of long term injuries/terminally unfit (we won't), but signing the right players (we didn't last summer or last winter b) and having the right manager (perhaps we now have) and careful nurturing of dev squad players (This will be er, v. Rea[re] ) . This is very complicated as our now ex and out of work manager used to say a lot.
that is definitely a lot harder than getting rid of CMS and Kemy so we can afford a , lets say, "expensive" striker who will definitely score goals to take us to the promised land. Like £8m Jordan Rhodes or £11m Ross MacCormack from respectively Blackburn (10th, on bench most of time) and Fulham (er, 20th).

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I'm with you on this, I don't think there are many Kayals out there and he plays in a position that doesn't have a big premium on good players. We did well there as he was out of favour and had been longish term injured, we could have ended up with a sick note. He is looking an excellent bit of business. I think we are going to have to spend, in that I mean actually spend proper money on transfer fees, not a high earning freebie, to get a decent strike force. We are so far short of the required standard in that position. We spent two million on Baldock and he is no better than average and also appears to be a bit of a sick note. You don't get much for your money in the striker department in this division so mentioning Kayal as an example of how you can get value doesn't really work for forwards.

I think we have a reasonable midfield but we desperately need pace in defence and up front and that is going to cost ....imo.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think we are going to have to spend, in that I mean actually spend proper money on transfer fees

The top scorer in the Championship this season , Daryl Murphy, has scored 7 more goals than Ulloa last season already and was signed on a free transfer by Ipswich in 2013.
Troy Deeney who is on track to be scoring 20 goals in the Champ for the third season in a row was signed by Watford for £250K in 2010.
Glenn Murray who , cough , scored 31 goals in the Champ was signed on a free...shall i go on.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Last summer we seemed to go for quantity over quality and I would rather we focused on getting 3-4 excellent signings than 6-7 punts

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It should be noted that TB said our budget was higher this year than previously, so providing the money shouldnt be a problem. Also each season we have signed a player we expected to be the prolific scorer, first CMS, then Ulloa then Baldock.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'm with you on this, I don't think there are many Kayals out there and he plays in a position that doesn't have a big premium on good players. We did well there as he was out of favour and had been longish term injured, we could have ended up with a sick note. He is looking an excellent bit of business. I think we are going to have to spend, in that I mean actually spend proper money on transfer fees, not a high earning freebie, to get a decent strike force. We are so far short of the required standard in that position. We spent two million on Baldock and he is no better than average and also appears to be a bit of a sick note. You don't get much for your money in the striker department in this division so mentioning Kayal as an example of how you can get value doesn't really work for forwards.

I think we have a reasonable midfield but we desperately need pace in defence and up front and that is going to cost ....imo.

I'm with you on this.

We have done well with Kayal. However, players who demand little or no transfer fee are usually, (a) getting on a bit, (b) young and untested, or (c) formerly good players who have had a serious injury. Of course, there are also the players who have come to the end of their contract, but if they are any good, other clubs will offer them higher wages than we are prepared to pay.

Every club would like to unearth that little gem, but they are few and far between. Paying higher transfer fees usually (not always) gets you a better quality player.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The top scorer in the Championship this season , Daryl Murphy, has scored 7 more goals than Ulloa last season already and was signed on a free transfer by Ipswich in 2013.
Troy Deeney who is on track to be scoring 20 goals in the Champ for the third season in a row was signed by Watford for £250K in 2010.
Glenn Murray who , cough , scored 31 goals in the Champ was signed on a free...shall i go on.

Yes, please do. We signed Murray about 6 years ago and managed to **** up with his departure too, which is very galling.. The other examples are exceptions, as you well know. Look at our track record with cheap or loan strikers and then at how many of the clubs that are challenging in the Championship have these bargain strikers. Yes of course it would be great to get one but if the club are basing their striker recruitment on unearthing a gem that is cheap and up to this division then I won't be holding my breath about next season.

Are you actually employed by the club????? I suspect that you might be :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here