Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Graham Potter will be our manager at the start of next season?

Do you think Graham Potter will be our manager at the start of next season

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He’ll be here. Nobody’s poaching him now. Bloom won’t sack him unless he feels he has to. He’ll scrape a couple of results to paper over the cracks and cling on.

Bringing forward another season of tedious football in 2022/23.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine the reaction of all the other football managers if GPott walked.

"You had those statistics.
They didn't sack you.
The crowd were still chanting your name...

... AND you resigned?"

:lolol:

I heard something in the week Potter wants a meeting in the summer with the top brass about the current direction of the club. To be fair to Potter he wasn’t backed in January for a final push into the top ten I also would be annoyed if I was him.

Although rumoured i think something along those lines is plausible. We were in a great position and were being touted as European contenders upto and even including the man u game at Old Trafford. Since then it's gone horribly wrong. Burnley was as poor a performance all season and we haven't recovered from that(although we are creating again). That's the difference between us and other half decent sides in this league. Whether that's down to management/coaching or simply we don't have the quality of players needed to get a response from on the back of a poor performance/bad run.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
More likely he'll be around than not but it is far from certain. If the boys can find 7 points or so in the remaining games I dont think there will be any doubt but continue like in recent months and TB might sack him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's an interesting question.

My instinct is yes, because it doesn't feel like Bloom is keen to sack him. Winless for 12 games through october/november, 6 losses in a row. Not a peep of discontent from the club/senior people in the club. To be fair, there's also been a sginificant portion of the fan base that remained fully behind him during/despite those runs. The fan reaction to recent results have been nothing like what Hughton was facing as his reign came to an end, or Hyypia during his time. So there's not really much pressure on them to act, either.

However, Tony Bloom is quoted as saying top 10 is a realistic aim for the season. If we continue to drift back to 15th/16th place and fall short of that aim will that bring out Bloom's ruthless side?

In his recent press conference Potter brought up that he and the club will sit down and discuss the approach for next season. That is, as he says, something quite normal that all clubs do, but it felt different to me. "Head coach Potter said: “I think we need to sit down generally and have a chat about which direction we are going, how we can help the team and how we can help us improve." seemed odd for the Argus to make an article over this at the start of April. Perhaps it is key to this question? Perhaps Potter recognises what so many of us do finishing top 10 on a bottom 6 budget is never going to be a realistic aim (I don't claim it's not possible, just that as an aim it is not realistic), and will need assurances of an increase in wage budget to afford the better players needed for a higher placed finish. Maybe that could lead to an impasse, that sees a mutual agreement to part ways. Or maybe it was just a fluff piece to create more content for the website and it was a throwaway question given a standard answer.

I'm inclined to say he will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was of the impression Mr Bloom had had enough of 'just surviving' which led to HIS Top 10 comment.
(CJ's alert has just sounded and be along in 26 seconds to explain the nuance, and why what the comment from the club actually meant was finishing in our usual 16th)

I don't think GPott is on the firmest of grounds regarding the long term project.
As said elsewhere for me it's all rather dependant on how much responsibility Mr Bloom holds for the current slide.

I think it's enough to keep GPott in his job.
But not enough to carry into another famine (hoping for some kind of feast in the meantime)

I actually think Potter is at high risk of being sacked in the close season if the poor run continues and we finish the season on 36-38 points. He’s more likely to step things up and get 8-10 points from somewhere in which case it’s a decent if frustrating season. But he’s not unsackable by any stretch
PS having a target for a club or organisation is pretty normal . Not sure why it’s used to as a stick to beat the club all the time because it’s out of reach. It’s a useful tool to measure progress. It’s not the target that is the issue is it if things fall short.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Besides a couple of dodgy performances, it's still the best football we've seen in like, forever!
People rumble on about the season we went up from division three south, or successive promotion seasons or even when we reached the premier league. Remember the quality of the opposition nowadays and remember where we could be?

When we play well we are a match for anyone other than current top 2 and even give them a good game(Anfield) but, when we are in a poor run of form we look like relegation fodder. Let's be honest if we had just a few points fewer(couple of wins earlier in season which we got away with) then the alarm bells would be ringing loudly in the boardroom as well as amongst the supporters. How many empty seats in recent games which emphasises the lack of interest from some supporters at current loss of form lack of goals and generally very poor home record. Lack of bums on seats leads to loss of much needed match day income, something Paul Barber is desperate to increase let alone see it fall....Time will tell as to whether supporters (albeit the minority)discontent grows over coming weeks or months which will and possibly could force the board to react

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Besides a couple of dodgy performances, it's still the best football we've seen in like, forever!
People rumble on about the season we went up from division three south, or successive promotion seasons or even when we reached the premier league. Remember the quality of the opposition nowadays and remember where we could be?
Playing the best football that brings three home wins a season ??? If we won five more home games 1-0 backs against the wall defensive performances we would be over the moon.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Unfortunately he will still be here coaching the same football that we have become accustomed to at home , so expect another £180 per home win next season , boring but what other options do we have !!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Very unlikely for him to be sacked, unlikely for him to go for another job, he knows he must get the project moving for him to be offered the golden chance.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I heard something in the week Potter wants a meeting in the summer with the top brass about the current direction of the club. To be fair to Potter he wasn’t backed in January for a final push into the top ten I also would be annoyed if I was him.

There will absolutely be a meeting in the summer, probably several. The club has an owner, a CEO and an (acting) Director of Football Do you seriously think they don't wish to meet with the manager and plan the next campaign?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I think he'll leave "by mutual agreement".

Tony will tell Graham that the football has become Hughtonesque - lots of possession in our own half, clueless in our rare forays near the opponent's penalty area, and little progress in terms of league table position at the end of the season; we'll finish 16th, having failed to win any more games, while Brentford and Saudi-on-Tyne are on decent runs and about to overtake us.

Graham will tell Tony that he's taken us far as he can on the budget available, and feels that he needs to move on, rather than tread water for another season or two with a lack of decent strikers, and see his 'promising young English manager' reputation decline.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he'll leave "by mutual agreement".

Tony will tell Chris that the football has become Hughtonesque - lots of possession in our own half, and clueless in our rare forays near the opponent's penalty area.

Chris will tell Tony that he's taken us far as he can on the budget available, and feels that he needs to move on, rather than tread water for another season or two with a lack of decent strikers.

I dont think TB will tell anything to Chris, but if he does have complaints IMO Chris could always use the "you sacked me three years ago, what the hell do you want me to do" argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here