Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still respect the police?

Do you still have respect for the police?

• Yes

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • don't know

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes.

I do, however, believe that people (government, police) should be held accountable for their actions.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I respect individual police officers - a bloody hard job that I couldn't do.

But I have no respect for the police as an entity. Time and again police forces have been found to have lied, covered-up, fitted people up, spied on people without authorisation, been racist and incompetent. It goes way beyond "a few bad apples".

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
'The police' is a very general term isn't it. I respect most of the officers who are out there dealing with real public issues as most are very professional good people(there are a few tossers, obviously) but bigwig chiefs who sit in the office all day eating donuts - no I do not respect them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not particularly , as others have said there are good and bad in all organisations , I just think there are far more bad coppers than the 'odd bad apple' that seems to be the accepted status, the very nature of the job attracts bullies.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A far too simplified question. Do I respect the on-the-street officers ? Generally yes. 99% of those I've dealt with have been professional, respectful and friendly. The exception to that is the police that attend football matches ( in particular from the Met ) - too many of them see football fans as hooligans and in far too many instances they overrule the rights we have as citizens.

Do I respect senior officers ? Not on your nelly ! You only need to look at the current case of the 5 year old child, or plebgate or how they force fans going to some matches onto 'official' transport. Senior officers are utterly out of touch with the public and often the law.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Generally yes .

What I don't agree with now is this new culture of suing the police for not doing this , not doing that , not telling us this and that . It doesn't help anyone only the greedy one's suing , we as the tax payer has to pay this when the money could be spent on better resources (and I don't mean thousands of £'s going to Portugal to dig in every green part of a resort to look for a child gone missing many years ago) . If an individual policeman is found guilty of not doing his job properly then he should be dismissed (without a pay off or pension depending on the severity ), or reprimanded , not take it out on the force as a whole or the tax payer .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd say it's a 90% yes from me.
I've had dealing with the police as a member of the public a few times and the only time I feel I was poorly treated was by a Met officer in the 1980's - at an American Football game at Wembley I went for a wee but stopped at the top of the steps to watch a few seconds and was promptly told "You can't stand there, now f**k off or you're nicked".
I've also had dealings with police officers in court and I can only remember one whose evidence came across as not entirely credible.
I think they have reformed but there's still an attitude amongst serving (and retired) officers that they are an elite unit and not entirely part of society in general.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
IMO the police force isn't perfect by a long chalk, there are institutional imperfections throughout. I would like to see them made more accountable, to restrain the temptation to let power corrupt. There are undoubtedly a few who use their positions in self interest, however as correctly mentioned by others this is prevelant throughout society in general.
But let's face it, we have to be grateful of the Constabularies existence. We would be in serious do doos without the Old Bill, who I love and hate in equal measures. :smile:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Being the son of a policeman and a policewoman (yes the epithet "piglet" has been used before) I was brought up to respect the police.
I know there are a few bad apples but there are in any organisation - in general I think the police do a bloody good job in very trying circumstances.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not particularly , as others have said there are good and bad in all organisations , I just think there are far more bad coppers than the 'odd bad apple' that seems to be the accepted status, the very nature of the job attracts bullies.

A far too simplified question. Do I respect the on-the-street officers ? Generally yes. 99% of those I've dealt with have been professional, respectful and friendly. The exception to that is the police that attend football matches ( in particular from the Met ) - too many of them see football fans as hooligans and in far too many instances they overrule the rights we have as citizens.

Do I respect senior officers ? Not on your nelly ! You only need to look at the current case of the 5 year old child, or plebgate or how they force fans going to some matches onto 'official' transport. Senior officers are utterly out of touch with the public and often the law.

I agree with both Bushy and Westdene on this.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Ive always had a fair amount of respect for the police although as in any walk of life you'll come across the occasional knobhead.

I have to say I lost alot of respect for them during their handling of the riots in Croydon. I've probably told the story on here before but I was playing pool right in the middle of it all that night and myself and a friend weren't allowed to leave the area so ended up just walkng around, we saw buses smashed and burnt, shops being looted and clothes being passed by kids to their parents throuh windows, reeves corner being burnt down from start to end and countless other acts and the police did next to nothing in most cases they were simply observers (much like ourselves).
I'd never advocate excessive force being used by the police but most of the people invloved were 13-18 year olds, had the police cracked a few heads when it started rather than stand by and let it happen half the little toe rags would have run home. The Police also let reeves corner burn to the ground, they stood there with the fire brigade and watched a 150 year old family business burn to the ground. I hope some lessons were learnt thst night because it was an absolute embarrassed to our Police service regardless of the pressures they were under that night.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
To very recent incidents I have either been fully involved in or witnessed first hand again leaves me questioning my respect for the police.

The first one was a man (in his 70's) stole 3 items from my shop (antique shop) amounting to over £1400 in value. This was over a period of a couple of weeks. We noticed the items missing a few days after each time they were taken. It's a big shop and lots of items so not always obvious straight away. I called the police to record the crime and they attended. I had installed cctv, 4 cameras in various locations around the shop. As you can imagine a mammoth task to go through all the footage. I found to evidence and downloaded it onto one of their dvd's. As asked by the officer I took this to the local Police Station were upon I was to sign a statement prepared prior by the officer. Desk sergeant was less than helpful and was just not interested. I reminded him this was just a packet of crisps nicked but high value items. He reluctantly took the dvd but with no guarantee that the officer would receive it. I then heard nothing, not even a f**k off.

I complained on line on the police website and very quickly got a response. The dvd had been looked at but as I hadn't backed it up with a witness statement at the time it would be difficult to use. Great.

Move forwards four weeks and the chap turned up again, fortunately there was two of us in shop and I immediately left the shop and called the police. I quickly asked the chap running the cafe nextdoor to help follow him should he leave before the police arrived. More about the cafe owner later. Thief left the shop empty handed this time but we started to follow him, all the time on the phone to the police. 45 minutes later they arrived and arrested him.

He admitted all the offences and basically he had been a thief most of his life.

The police asked me what I wanted and I said prosecution, they offered community service and even asked me part of that could be that he come and worked for me!! Unbelievable.

In the end I agreed for him to pay us £600 and he got a caution. He was never going to end up in court. Effectively I had done all the work for them and they get a crime resolved but from the start they failed to follow their procedures

Second time, I was standing outside my shop as the cafe owner was parking his car outside his business. A police car was going by at the time and they stopped whilst the cafe owner reversed. They then drew up in front of my shop on double yellow lines. No lights on and shot over to the cafe owner. Now I could hear the conversation. They were going to nick him for not wearing a seatbelt. They agreed that as he reversed he had released the seatbelt so he could move easier to see behind him but and this is the big but as he then moved forwards by about 3m he hadn't put the belt back on. this is honestly how it happened. By now there was a build up of traffic due to their bad parking. They then looked all over his car and radioed through for a vehicle check. All come back ok. The cafe owner asked one of them if he was going to "do" him and if so to get on with it. The response was if he apologized he might be let off. The cafe owner said how deeply sorry he was to which the other one said you only apologized to him so you'll get off and I'm not sure I like that. Remarkable, the t**ts.

Anyway why this was going on I took the opportunity to take a gander at their car and noted the front nearside tyre was rather bald. When they finally let off the cafe owner, big of them, they returned to the car. I told them of the tyre to which the reply f**k all to with son (I am probably a good 15 years older than either of them).

Respect? It's a two way street.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Not counting the cover ups, racism or murders - I have personally had first hand experience of how corrupt the police are. I was never an angel in my youth, but I have seen bare faced lies written down in an effort to incriminate me and my friends. I have witnessed someone take a savage beating at the hands of the police, which resulted in broken ribs. Then there was the time I was arrested in a case of mistaken identity, once the police established I was not responsible I was told that unless I gave up the name of the person responsible I would be nicked. I knew/know that you cannot be arrested for this, so I called their bluff. Instead of being nicked I was driven into the middle of nowhere and left to walk home. There are plenty of other examples. This is all the work of Sussex Police as well.

Now as I said above I was never an angel, and no doubt some will think I deserve everything I got. But surely those who uphold the law should not break it...

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
There are three types of police. The government's puppets in high ranking positions, the big headed Rambo type who was to scared to go in thee army so joined the police. These type will talk to you as if you are beneath them but very quickly cry for back when challenged/smacked in mouth.
The last type is the normal copper who just gets on with the job, those have my respect.

I got no issue with the OB and believe corruption and cover up are quite rare, I have more concerns regarding high profile cases abroad where tourists are involved, Rape/murder in Goa or Thailand, murder inKenya, Doctors murdered in Borneo, Leeds fans in Istanbul etc etc, there's usually a very quick arrest and confession, either the police in these contries are super efficient, or some poor hobo sleeping rough has been woken up with a gun in his face
If I was homeless/had a bit of previous and lived on the Thai Island where that poor couple were murdered this morning I'd be worried at present as no doubt there will be a very quick arrest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here