Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Do you know these Brighton pubs?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
[/
I used to go there a lot when I was at Lewes College, a friend lived nearby and me and a load of college mates would frequent it once a month of so....this is over 30 year ago. It was a nice place and it used to tolerate us.

Thirty years ago Juggs was run by the Owner "Andrew Browne" who also had pub in seaford. He still owns the freehold I believe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If @The Fits is already concerned about chefs, then Paul the Troll would be far too high maintenance.
Fair point. That said, I do think his Albert and Evening Star hook-ups were the best beer and burger combos I know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone that persuades the Troll to fire up his grill again will have my eternal custom.
Same here. His Black Heart offal burger is arguably the best burger I have ever had. That and a pint of cask IPA from The Evening Star is all you really need in life. In fact when I first heard about this limited edition burger I changed my plans and made a special detour to his hut.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
They make a lot of money, it seems. I love how it looks and already being a football pub is a draw for me. It’s not here in Bristol but it’s totally different when it’s the team you support.
And herein lies the problem. They can TAKE a lot of money but they don’t MAKE a lot of money. Taking on the BOT means you’ll need to take a lot of money every single week just in order to survive. The high rent and pubco tie is what sees to this. Add in outrageous energy costs and every other expense going through the roof and it’s a lot of hard work and ball ache for very little profit at the end of the day.
As Bozza said I’ve worked in the Brighton pub industry all my life so happy if you want to run anything past me in a DM,

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Another vote for the Battle. In the dark days of the 90s it was the only place I knew I'd see another Fulham fan. Great beer, atmosphere and beer garden.

And @Tom Hark Preston Park is right about the Brewery Tap flooding- my cousin used to audit pubs and the Tap and Crown and Anchor have been notorious for it for decades / centuries (by the way, not all the rainwater coming down Preston Drove ends up at the bottom - a lot turns left into Beaconsfield Villas and goes into the park).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If you do take over the Battle of Trafalgar, please can you fix it so that card transactions are not billed to ‘Bad Girls Hotel’ on my bank statement?

It has led to some difficult conversations after a night out!
Especially incriminating if you've made 7 separate transactions on the hour every hour over the course of a Sunday afternoon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still miss Sore Finger down the road ☹️
Same. I know he and the family are having a very tough time but I hope they can a very small amount of comfort knowing they were loved and are very much now part of Brighton folklore.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
00’s - Saturday afternoon getting rained on at Withdean, watching us hoof the ball 40ft in the air, cheap chicken pie for sustenance.. off to the Battle to say hi to Garf and Flint, sink a few Guinness and stop for salty finger on our way back to the flat on Buckingham Rd.

Good days IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here