Do you go to football for your own means?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the statement true for you?

• Total voters

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I enjoy going to Withdean with a few mates but the majority of the time I go on my own and love it. At times I feel compelled to join in with the (rare) singing but am happy just taking it all in without the need to natter with anyone else. I'm sure there are many posters who have busy lives as I do so spending an afternoon at Withdean with just me and my brain is pure heaven for me.

Away matches however, are a different animal and there is an instant bond between all the fans which I love bing a part of (although I'm a bad fan and haven't been 'away' for about 3 seasons!)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I go out of habit really. I do love it and get a perverse pleasure from watching shit footie in a shit stadium too. Oh, and to brainwash 2 little boys into supporting the Albion. Is that for my own means?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd still go and watch if it was only me, and I was going to be there on my own. So it can't all be about the tribe.

I go on my own to home games now, I have given up on away games unless I have someone to go with.

After 33 odd years I am fighting the tempation to give up on it totally!

If you do not enjoy something, then you end up trying to find and excuse to go

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Yes, we do go to football to satisfy our own needs first.

Supporting a football team is all about 'belonging' and is a natural human desire.

So although Gems statement might not be true of most supporters, the question of 'do we go to satisfy ourselves' is probably yes.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I go on my own to home games now, I have given up on away games unless I have someone to go with.

Jesus whats wrong Dave? You always seem to be enjoying it when I see you.

Similar with me Dave but it's 48 years!
It's great to have a day out with our son at an away match but both of us have ended up asking (eg after Northampton) why? Maybe I'll feel better if/when the preformances pick-up but I've never been quite so disappointed/annoyed with an Albion team and management before.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, we do go to football to satisfy our own needs first.

Supporting a football team is all about 'belonging' and is a natural human desire.

So although Gems statement might not be true of most supporters, the question of 'do we go to satisfy ourselves' is probably yes.

Good point, but the poll question is about the whole statement, ie if you were at a game and pissing off hundreds around you, would you carry on because "I'm alright Jack, so you lot can f*** right off"?

I gave the thread a bit of shit title didn't I?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Bozza,
I think you have blown this out of all proportion or I have slightly written the wrong statement.

Maybe if I had said, When anyone goes to football their number one priority is not to worry about everyone else. I.e. they go there to watch their team and support them. If they are in a group of 1 or 20 they dont sit in their seat and think OMG i best look behind me to see if anyone is going to get annoyed just as Virgo is going forward to score the goal against Swindon in the play off.

Bugger, Bugger, Because I turned around to see if anyone would mind I missed the Bl00dy well goal.

I would be surprised if 1 person on here would check first before standing.

Most humans in the world look after themselves before anyone else.

Although this is on a smaller scale the same principle applies. When it comes down to it your not really bothered about the people around you unless they are your mates.

This does not make you a selfish person, it means that you are looking after your own interest first.

Thats Life my friend.

Do you also notice that people come on here call me a cock selfish etc, thats their opinon and their right to say what they want.

This is my opinion and I can say what I want.

Thanks

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Good point, but the poll question is about the whole statement, ie if you were at a game and pissing off hundreds around you, would you carry on because "I'm alright Jack, so you lot can f*** right off"?

no course not, but probably neither does he unless he's had a few jars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports