[Politics] Do You Give Your Postie a Christmas Tip?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
No, Most Posties are Twats :whistle:

I’ve known at least half a dozen posties and they’ve all been very decent . Now scaffolders not so good ! Some aggressive if challenged on anything , probably why they were so useless at school . Anger control issues . Not all obviously but def some .

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I’ve known at least half a dozen posties and they’ve all been very decent . Now scaffolders not so good ! Some aggressive if challenged on anything , probably why they were so useless at school . Anger control issues . Not all obviously but def some .

I was surrounded by them in the 1st few seasons at the Amex. My remark was a little
bit tongue in cheek.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Tipping is so yesterday - goes back to the pre-minimum wage days and was intended to help supplement poorly paid workers income.

Surprised the Post Office union allows their members to accept tips. I mean, how derogatory and belittling is that? Could cause a Christmas walk-out.

Do you know the pay rates for posties in England?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Not since he gave himself a tip by stealing my son's birthday cards a few years ago and taking any cash in them. He was sacked later which is when we found out from the new postman why he got 2 birthday cards instead of a dozen that year.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i asked mine to go the opposite way around the block on alternate days to curtail wearing a track on my lawn , we both had a laugh , he had a swim in my pool and i set his bike on fire .....

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Not since he gave himself a tip by stealing my son's birthday cards a few years ago and taking any cash in them. He was sacked later which is when we found out from the new postman why he got 2 birthday cards instead of a dozen that year.

It does happen but is a very rare occurrence - in my 20 years as a postie, and involving thousands of workers - there were two incidents. In both cases the people were sacked and charged - one got a custodial sentence. Stealing someone else's mail is considered a serious offence and has been since the founding of the post office a couple of hundred years ago - it is regarded as a felony and still carries a sentence of up to life imprisonment. Willfully delaying the mail is regarded as a misdemeanor and carries a fine or prison sentence on conviction. Also - other postal workers resent any such actions and support the application of the law to the fullest extent in such circumstances.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
It does happen but is a very rare occurrence - in my 20 years as a postie, and involving thousands of workers - there were two incidents. In both cases the people were sacked and charged - one got a custodial sentence. Stealing someone else's mail is considered a serious offence and has been since the founding of the post office a couple of hundred years ago - it is regarded as a felony and still carries a sentence of up to life imprisonment. Willfully delaying the mail is regarded as a misdemeanor and carries a fine or prison sentence on conviction. Also - other postal workers resent any such actions and support the application of the law to the fullest extent in such circumstances.

Glad to hear it - I guess I was just unlucky.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
It’s a different bloke / lady every day so who am I tipping? I do though now recognise the DPD driver as he seems to visit us every day

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I was surrounded by them in the 1st few seasons at the Amex. My remark was a little
bit tongue in cheek.

We're the West Stand, We're the West Stand, we're the West Stand Postie boys. *

* we were until we couldn't get to Kick off on time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well, if the Frau orders and doesn’t add the 5 euro tip this is exactly what I do....in a rather ostentatious manner.

There are two obvious solutions to this problem:

1. Never let the Frau order

OR

2. Trade the Frau in for a newer, more amenable model

phoenix

May 18, 2009
No as I think he helps himself anyway.

Totally unnecessary an not particularly funny comment. I would expect better from you.

(I now realize you were joking) so i have edited .

My best friend is a Postie he has been working 12 hours a day. for not a lot of money.

He knows nearly all his customer by 1st name, and would help anyone.

carry on !

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Tipping is so yesterday - goes back to the pre-minimum wage days and was intended to help supplement poorly paid workers income.

Surprised the Post Office union allows their members to accept tips. I mean, how derogatory and belittling is that? Could cause a Christmas walk-out.

Note really surprising, as they are NOT in the Post Office union ! :)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Nope, don't have a postie. Our estate is three years old, however Royal Mail have not yet recruited anybody to deliver our post, therefore we only get post if and when somebody is willing to do overtime. Thjis means we don't have a reliable post service (at one point, we have no post for three weeks) and we very rarely have the same postie twice.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And about time too - although part of the reason is because the pay and conditions are shite.

So you keep saying.

Apart from being in reasonable physical shape, what other attribute does a Postie have/need to justify a good wage?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Ours are all great Postie, bin men, and recyclers. They do their job well and always seem cheerful, well worth the tip they get .

phoenix

May 18, 2009
No as I think he helps himself anyway.

Thanks my friend. I always enjoy your posts, long may they continue, have a great christmas. RESPECT to you. Keep up the good work. You know why :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports