[Politics] Do You Give Your Postie a Christmas Tip?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Yes, as he makes an effort to leave stuff with neighbours or safe place rather than waiting 30 seconds sticking a note through the door saying come to the sorting office.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yes always - €20.

I worked as a postie for nearly 20 years and I can tell you that it is a poorly paid and tough job (and worse in the UK than in Ireland) - they are treated like sh*t by management - out in all types of weather - are almost to a person very helpful - and you do not know how much they actually appreciate the thought. Indeed posties would prefer to get £1 from every house than large amounts from a small number of individuals - as I said - it's the thought that counts.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
No as I think he helps himself anyway.

The scale of theft in the post office is very low - it is a serious criminal offence to interfere with other peoples' mail

Yes, as he makes an effort to leave stuff with neighbours or safe place rather than waiting 30 seconds sticking a note through the door saying come to the sorting office.

Unless the postie has a written instruction to do so this is actually against the rules. Don't scapegoat the guy/girl if anything ever happened the stuff - they would lose their job and might even be criminally charged.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The scale of theft in the post office is very low - it is a serious criminal offence to interfere with other peoples' mail.

https://youtu.be/3jHQqcky_Aw

I know it was a joke....

He is very nice, but they do change a fair amount on our road, I don't blame them to be honest, who the hell wants to walk up and down Hartington Road and Elm Grove everyday....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I live in an apartment block so I never see anyone delivering the post or bins or anything. I always tip restaurants, cafes, my hairdresser and taxis. I have started to tip all the time in bars now. I also have a long standing feud with Frau Tubthumper about tipping the Deliveroo person. I’m of the view they should get 10% plus €5 for walking up 8 flights of stairs; she disagrees on the 5.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I live in an apartment block so I never see anyone delivering the post or bins or anything. I always tip restaurants, cafes, my hairdresser and taxis. I have started to tip all the time in bars now. I also have a long standing feud with Frau Tubthumper about tipping the Deliveroo person. I’m of the view they should get 10% plus €5 for walking up 8 flights of stairs; she disagrees on the 5.

Save yourself five euros, walk down and get it, you lazy German

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
https://youtu.be/3jHQqcky_Aw

I know it was a joke....

He is very nice, but they do change a fair amount on our road, I don't blame them to be honest, who the hell wants to walk up and down Hartington Road and Elm Grove everyday....

I know it was a joke too - but you would be surprised how that type of stuff can stick

Don't know how it works in Brighton - but generally the delivery routes are allocated on seniority - the most senior postie gets to pick the route first and so on down the line. If your postie is changing every week then chances are that its s shite delivery route that nobody wants to do. Chances are it is the newest recruits who start out acting as cover for holidays and sick leave that end up doing it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Save yourself five euros, walk down and get it, you lazy German

Well, if the Frau orders and doesn’t add the 5 euro tip this is exactly what I do....in a rather ostentatious manner.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Seeing as we’re all done with football, it’s time to move onto more important things - if you do tip your postman/woman, how much do you usually give? (advance apologies for intrusive question)

throwing-money-gif-24.gif

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know it was a joke too - but you would be surprised how that type of stuff can stick

Don't know how it works in Brighton - but generally the delivery routes are allocated on seniority - the most senior postie gets to pick the route first and so on down the line. If your postie is changing every week then chances are that its s shite delivery route that nobody wants to do. Chances are it is the newest recruits who start out acting as cover for holidays and sick leave that end up doing it.

Makes sense, Hartington Road and Elm Grove run parallel to each other and are bloody steep with about 7 or 8 connecting steep roads.
Not something you want to do everyday I guess, full respect to them.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We had a great postie last year so yes, gave her £20 at Christmas. This year we've had a different postie pretty much every day so no, won't be giving anything this year.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well, if the Frau orders and doesn’t add the 5 euro tip this is exactly what I do....in a rather ostentatious manner.

hmmm.....

Would't happen in England....

I know who wears the jodhpurs in your bunker then, back in blighty if Mrs Freakout did not add the £3 tip she would be going downstairs to collect....

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
more likely to get an envelope stuffed with all the elastic bands they leave on the driveway.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I hardly get any.

The amazon delivery driver on the other hand probably deserves 3 figures.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Unless the postie has a written instruction to do so this is actually against the rules. Don't scapegoat the guy/girl if anything ever happened the stuff - they would lose their job and might even be criminally charged.
Yup, understand this and instruction is in place. He's one of life's good guys which is why he gets a tip.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Tipping is so yesterday - goes back to the pre-minimum wage days and was intended to help supplement poorly paid workers income.

Surprised the Post Office union allows their members to accept tips. I mean, how derogatory and belittling is that? Could cause a Christmas walk-out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports