Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
I was really lucky in my last job. I worked in the Corporate sales side of a very large Uni and the extras at xmas were pretty good all things considered:

£100 John Lewis vouchers, 3 course meal with wine for our dept & at the combined xmas party we had free buffet and all beers/wines/mixers free for the first 90mins & only had to work the afternoon after the xmas party. No wonder Uni's charge students so much!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
£10 towards a team Christmas lunch. Manager usually says a personal thank you with a bottle of wine.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So what about your other business' then, Rockafeller? :lol: The one you have just described sounds very interesting so I'm guessing the others aren't ebay shops or market stalls?

Ha! One in app development, one in imaging, one in software development (for semiconductor designers) and a restaurant (financial stake only)

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Times gone by the boss took everyone (several hundred people) off to Boston (USA) or the south of France or maybe Eurodisney for a few days, that then changed to a huge Christmas party for all staff and partners at no cost, this then changed to the same party but at a cost for partners but now it is down to £20 towards a meal as long as it is an organised team meal.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Times gone by the boss took everyone (several hundred people) off to Boston (USA) or the south of France or maybe Eurodisney for a few days, that then changed to a huge Christmas party for all staff and partners at no cost, this then changed to the same party but at a cost for partners but now it is down to £20 towards a meal as long as it is an organised team meal.

You work at Amex too?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My other half's firm does have a bonus paid out just before Christmas but if you've had any time off sick, then it is reduced pro rata. Unfortunately he was in hospital last year and this, so no bonus again.

That seems incredibly harsh, but I guess it is a grey area. Doctors note (fancy the odd day off) vs genuine illness. I wonder where that lies legally?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I work in the public sector and get no paid for extras at Xmas. The priv day that we used to enjoy has been taken away from us by George "Scrooge" Osbourne.

I wonder if others would complain if Public Sector workers got the kind of extras that have been mentioned in this thread - which of course would be paid for by the tax payer.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I work in the public sector and get no paid for extras at Xmas. The priv day that we used to enjoy has been taken away from us by George "Scrooge" Osbourne.

I wonder if others would complain if Public Sector workers got the kind of extras that have been mentioned in this thread - which of course would be paid for by the tax payer.

They're paid for by the tax payers anyway. Just less clarity.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£15 each for a meal but nothing for alcohol.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
USED to get circa £6k annual bonus at this time...weary, challenging but happy times

Our bonus is now split and paid in February and August which is actually better than one payment in April.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
That seems incredibly harsh, but I guess it is a grey area. Doctors note (fancy the odd day off) vs genuine illness. I wonder where that lies legally?

It's a bonus, so legally quite within their rights not to pay out if you don't meet the requirements set out. Most companies normally send out bonus requirements before they pay them to you in writing.

Quite often find therre is always a requirement in there with regards to attendance. I know at my place that if you have X amount of time off sick you don't get a bonus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's contractual. Fortunately he's worked there long enough to get sick pay, so we didn't lose out when he was in hospital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports