Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you eat bread?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I loves bread, me.

In order to control my intake I've changed over to tortillas.

Is this a decent halfway option, or am I no better off than scoffing a tiger loaf, in a matter of minutes.

Pinched of Yahoo

Most things one would use as wraps are just bread. Tortillas. Lavosh. Yadda yadda. Generally speaking they CAN be better. But that depends on the bread you compare it with.

Most wraps (i.e., tortillas) are made with refined white flour which is bad for you. I have seen whole wheat wraps. I have not seen whole wheat lavosh.

Studies done on basic white bread vs basic flour (white) tortilla for lunches ended up giving the tortilla glowing reviews. This is probably where you got the idea for your question.

However, the studies glowing reviews - of course - gave way to mass produced tortillas. No longer being made by "mom and pop" facilites with very simple ingredients, they are pretty much loaded in chemicals so they'll have a 15 year shelf life.

Many wrap fast food joints use fancy tortillas to give the customer more "variety." These fancy tortillas also have a lot of junk in them because they too are mass produced.

Pita is bread. Many kosher whole wheat pitas have no chemical additives. Flour, water and yeast. The whole wheat flour is SO much better for you. Wins hands down over a refined white flour wrap. "But I got a spinach wrap" you say. Still made with refined white flour. Pita. Hands down. I buy a whole grain pita with 5 different whole grains in it. It's costs more. But it's worth it.

French bakery hemp breads are LOADED with all sorts of things that are fantastic for you. Yum Yummy!

Ezekiel's sprouted whole wheat tortillas are a truly divine inspiration. But they tend to be very hard. Even when warmed, they break rather than fold making them impossible to use as wraps. I use them like soft tortilla chips.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I get headaches when away from bread or its bloatarious kin for more than 24 hours. I keep trying to give up for a spell, but the merest of boozes one night drags me back to the bakery section of a late-opening supermarket to stuff my rucksack with a hefty loaf to demolish the minute i'm in. With this combination of occasional pints and wheaty gorging i remain gut-swelled and jowly. I ruddy love it though, bread. I've run 20-odd miles over the last few days and each time it's so that i permit myself to toast a thrice of buttery treasures when i get in.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I have one of those natty bread makers - is home made bread bad, i dunno?

depends what recipe you use - but seeing as you know whats going in as you are putting it in, you should its ok

used to make bread in a bread maker myself a few years back - just flour, yeast, some seeds, a bit of salt, and a bit of sugar, water and done

the reason supermarket pre-cut vacuum packed bread is so bad for you is that it isn't 'proven', and it actually 'proofs' inside of you once you've eaten it, which isnt great for you. its why it can stay on the shelf longer than freshly baked bread

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its the carbs in bread that make you pile on the pounds - ok if you are burning it all off but sitting in your colon and not being burnt off is bad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely they are made with flour too ?

this is what i was thinking, now im wondering if its the air in the bread rather than the flour itself. willyfantastic above point about the proving ties in. im not convinced on the "its full of bad stuff" as bleaching and whatnot come about with industrialisation.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
this is what i was thinking, now im wondering if its the air in the bread rather than the flour itself. willyfantastic above point about the proving ties in. im not convinced on the "its full of bad stuff" as bleaching and whatnot come about with industrialisation.

Ive been told that a lot of cheap bread contains raising agents to speed the baking process up this is a apparently one of the ingredients that causes problems for some people.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Other than the crap they put in modern bread wheats and grains even whole grains are not great for you. Their starches and carbs get broken down very quickly and cause a peak in blood sugar, which then crashes . This peak and crashing can lead to diabetes, obesity, cravings for junk food. It's just not good for you and people are cottoning on. I know there is the old school "never did me any harm" brigade. Well, chances are it did do you a lot of harm. The war baby generation saw a huge rise in diabetes and blood sugar related problems. "Humans have eaten it for centuries". They've also smoked and drunk to excess is that okay just because it's been done for ages?

D

Deleted member 18477

I only eat wholemeal bread. Can't say I've ever found it to bloat me or made me gain weight. It's a great source of energy and is packed with fibre.

Eating more calories than I need bloats me and makes me gain weight...

D

Deleted member 18477

Its the carbs in bread that make you pile on the pounds - ok if you are burning it all off but sitting in your colon and not being burnt off is bad.

You mean the calories? Carbs do not make you fat. They're essential along with fat and protein for your body to function effectively.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Holy Land, a couple of thousand years ago:

"Greetings, five thousand! We were hungry, but thanks to the blessings and love of almighty God, I have received these five loaves and two fish, and now we shall all eat and be satisfied".

"Look, I don't want to be ungrateful, Jesus, but do you have anything else? Only, I find gluten makes me terribly bloated".

D

Deleted member 18477

Eating too much of anything will make you fat but carbs can pile on the weight if you don't use the energy and its why cutting carbs will make you lose weight quickly

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/04/24/5143/why-eating-too-many-carbs-makes-you-fat/

Theres lots of articles on carbs not making you fat as well.

A calorie is a calorie. Calories make you fat. Carbs, proteins or fats do not make you fat. Calories do. Pure numbers game where weight is concerned.

Carbs are you bodies main source of energy. Which is why people love eating carbs because your body loves it too. People just tend to eat too many carbs and then because of that they're eating too many calories and gaining weight.

My crap marathon time this year was basically too much bread and carbs, so need to change - but willpower is tough! Still vacillating between moderation or total ban strategy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I rarely buy bread. And with no bread comes no cheese, no bacon, no sticky spreads, no butter etc. So its grand for weight loss - until your body adjusts to life without bread and accepts that as the norm. Then when you snap and have a period of modest sarnies, you find your weight goes through the roof. Pitta bread seems to me to be a good substitute, with salad-heavy fillings and low-fat dressings. Its the way forward IMHO. Tasty also.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Theres lots of articles on carbs not making you fat as well.

A calorie is a calorie. Calories make you fat. Carbs, proteins or fats do not make you fat. Calories do. Pure numbers game where weight is concerned.

Carbs are you bodies main source of energy. Which is why people love eating carbs because your body loves it too. People just tend to eat too many carbs and then because of that they're eating too many calories and gaining weight.

stop this nonsence, calories are a measure of energy, they do not "make you fat". Fats, carbohydrates, and protiens are ways of getting something in which your body can burn, potential calories.

D

Deleted member 18477

stop this nonsence, calories are a measure of energy, they do not "make you fat". Fats, carbohydrates, and protiens are ways of getting something in which your body can burn, potential calories.

if you eat too many calories than your body needs you will get fat. Therefore it's too many calories that make you fat and not carbs.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It's all beige 'food'. No nutritional value whatsoever and throw in the booze and fags and it's quite an expensive trolley. They then complain they can't afford to eat healthily.

Scum. Subhuman scum.

Adds car park is full of fatties stuffing their faces with cream fancies. Is they can't even wait til they get home.

Nothing like feeling superior, is there.
You two would do well to check out the 'Smug' episode of South Park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here