Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you believe in man made climate change?

Do you believe in climate change?

• Yes I think it more than likely exists now

Votes: 143 78.1%
  • No, its a global conspiracy

Votes: 40 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The issue is the attempt to link individual events to climate change. Climate looks at weather trends over long periods of time. (30 years or more) But everyone seems very keen to say that this bit of bad WEATHER or this bit of bad weather is man made climate change when it's almost certainly not.

Do I think man made climate change is a thing YES. Do I think it's to blame for the poor winter we're having? NO.

Agree with this.

I think society finds it hard to grasp something until it's made tangible. The trouble with weather is that it's changeable. The real damaging climate change is so gradual that it's hard to see. By the time it really is tangible, it'll be too late. That's my feeling.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I think it's extremely arrogant of mankind to believe that we have such an influence on Mother Nature. Every man, woman and child on this planet could stand side by side in an area the size of Wales. Think about how many countries the size of Wales you could fit on the surface of the Earth, then think about how many Earth sized planets you could fit into the area occupied by our Sun. We are NOTHING but a speck of dust compared to the power of nature, or are we such an influence that our irresponsibility has extended to Mars, where global warming is increasing at the same rate as that on Earth? They're not so quick to point that out while they're raising our taxes!

"Man-made greenhouse warming has made a small contribution to the warming seen on Earth in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance," ~ Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Looking at the longer history of climate change, we are due another ice age. Some scientists say that human activaty could be delaying this, so it may not be a bad thing in the short term.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it's extremely arrogant of mankind to believe that we have such an influence on Mother Nature. Every man, woman and child on this planet could stand side by side in an area the size of Wales. Think about how many countries the size of Wales you could fit on the surface of the Earth, then think about how many Earth sized planets you could fit into the area occupied by our Sun. We are NOTHING but a speck of dust compared to the power of nature, or are we such an influence that our irresponsibility has extended to Mars, where global warming is increasing at the same rate as that on Earth? They're not so quick to point that out while they're raising our taxes!

"Man-made greenhouse warming has made a small contribution to the warming seen on Earth in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance," ~ Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia

Good grief!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agree with this.

I think society finds it hard to grasp something until it's made tangible. The trouble with weather is that it's changeable. The real damaging climate change is so gradual that it's hard to see. By the time it really is tangible, it'll be too late. That's my feeling.

We sorted out the hole in the ozone layer before it was too late so that was a win for mankind.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

on another note - in the coming years north europe will get colder and wetter, and souther europe will get dryer.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

:facepalm:

So are you trying to argue that we have not, ever had ANY impact on the world around us? Deforestation was nothing to do with us, the trees just happened to die on their own because of the sun, is that what you are saying?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Anyone who says no is really badly educated or has been walking about with their head up their arse/in the sand all their life. Of course we alter out environment, we have pictures of the bloody hole we made in the ozone layer. You can not squirm out of that one.

And now it has closed up. I wish the scientists etc would make up their minds what is going to kill us all, in the last few years, we've had S.A.R.S, climate change,a.i.d.s, bird flu, holes in the ozone layer, super volcanoes under Yellowstone park, tsunamis, and half an island(can't remember which one) off Spain somewhere, slipping into the sea, asteroids, oh, and nuclear war.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
:facepalm:

So are you trying to argue that we have not, ever had ANY impact on the world around us? Deforestation was nothing to do with us, the trees just happened to die on their own because of the sun, is that what you are saying?

I'm trying to put things into perspective. The Earth is over 4 billion years old! Mankind has been chopping trees down and pumping shit into the atmosphere for how long? This planet has endured meteor strikes, volcanic eruptions. earthquakes for millenia, and you're telling me that chopping a rainforest down is going to lead to this planet's downfall?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm trying to put things into perspective. The Earth is over 4 billion years old! Mankind has been chopping trees down and pumping shit into the atmosphere for how long? This planet has endured meteor strikes, volcanic eruptions. earthquakes for millenia, and you're telling me that chopping a rainforest down is going to lead to this planet's downfall?

Yes but the question is has our cutting down of trees had an impact on the planet? You don't think it has? It's not a question of relatives it's a yes or no thing.

And the planet has not been like THIS for 4 billion years, it hasn't 'endured' meteor strikes, massive volcanic eruptions or total glaciation without massive extinction events the like of which we would want to avoid for obvious reasons.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm a heating engineer of forty years.
China and the USA did not sign up to the Kyoto agreement in 1999 to cut green house gases.
Since then we have had to fit super dooper boilers that give out less than a fart of emissions an hour.
This means whatever we do in this country we are fecked.
We could go back to medieval times for our output but China would gazump us in less than a week---just my opinion after listening to some bloke on Radio 4:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
And now it has closed up. I wish the scientists etc would make up their minds what is going to kill us all, in the last few years, we've had S.A.R.S, climate change,a.i.d.s, bird flu, holes in the ozone layer, super volcanoes under Yellowstone park, tsunamis, and half an island(can't remember which one) off Spain somewhere, slipping into the sea, asteroids, oh, and nuclear war.

You are completely and utterly failing to see the difference between 'Science' and the Media. Science says things like 'hmm, one day Yellowstone park could erupt in a very large way' and the media which says things like 'YELLOWSTONE OVERDUE TO OBLITERATE ENTIRE PLANET.'

You need to stop reading the express basically although most mainstream media far too often falls into sensationalism and half-truths when it comes to reporting science.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The severe weather has again lead to the debate with climate change exists. Of course no one, can be sure.

For me, I think it more than likely does exist, we have 2 options and both are a gamble. 1) Do nothing and gamble on sorting out the consequences or 2) Incur some sacrifices, hope we are right

Surely, a no brainer which gamble to take if you care about generations to come.

Lewes' best seagull

Jan 31, 2008
BbywH8RIgAAs57H.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Up until the c1950s we (the industrialised world) chucked out as much crap into the atmosphere as the current industrialising nations (China, India etc) are doing.

We have cut down because we realised the impact of pollution and accepted that cutting back would have a cost as well as a benefit. China and others have not yet accepted the impact of polluting their part of the planet because they argue that they are only doing what we have done in the past, and they need/want the immediate economic benefits and development that such behaviour brings. Hopefully they will also realise that living in a cloud of smoke and chemical fumes is a bad thing, sooner rather than later.

At which point we can start to hug trees together.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You are completely and utterly failing to see the difference between 'Science' and the Media. Science says things like 'hmm, one day Yellowstone park could erupt in a very large way' and the media which says things like 'YELLOWSTONE OVERDUE TO OBLITERATE ENTIRE PLANET.'

You need to stop reading the express basically although most mainstream media far too often falls into sensationalism and half-truths when it comes to reporting science.

Or, perhaps i was being a little tongue in cheek, and btw I wouldn't have the Express in my house

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Closing up not closed up. Two very different things. Oh and why is it closing? Oh yeah because we realised it was being damaged by CFCs which we banned/reduced the use of and what do you know, things are improving! Or do you think it is just magic?

It is the work of the magic fairies who live in the land of Ozonia

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Because our species took on the technology route, and although the early technology was inefficient it was an unavoidable step in our progress. If we didn’t launch satellites into Earth’s orbit we wouldn’t have ever known about the ozone issue or have a documented record on the melting or growth of the ice caps, and the deforestation of the rain forests.

Environmentalists take advantage of modern tech, which at the end of the day was born out of dirty technology.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here