Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we WANT to go up?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I thought the corporate part explained that, just repeating what the club have stated. 4 less games means less money coming into the club, regardless of the money for going up.

To me, that sounds a pat answer from the club. I'd be slightly surprised if the amount of money raised from single-ticket sales fully compensated the cost of the travel subsidy, parking, stewarding, floodlights, policing and so on that the club has to pay on a match-by-match basis

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well written and agree with most of it but the Prem is a must if only for the financial well being of the club, bring it on

That sums up my feelings. I can also see attendances dropping after the first season, even if we stayed up, as people like to watch a winning team.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Because the 4 less games would mean a huge drop in the corporate takings. So the £90-120 million the club would get is to good to not push for promotion and go up, would also release some of the debt we owe tony.

I'm sorry but that's crap. The loss of 4 games will be mitigated by huge uplifts in TV money and all-associated on and off-field revenues. EVERY game in the Prem is televised and the exposure increases the commercial impact of every corporate message associated with the club tenfold. The SHAME of the prem is that people buy into the need to fleece the ordinary punter at the turnstiles by hiking up ticket prices. That is Bollocks. If the Albion raise their player budget by 300% then that's still only £40m and will be more than met by the "guaranteed" TV revenue. Why the **** do you "Have To" raise ticket prices? I love my club but I'm worried about the potential cost of my four family season tickets going through the roof. This is especially pertinent to the Albion where a generation(s) of fans has been lost.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
That sums up my feelings. I can also see attendances dropping after the first season, even if we stayed up, as people like to watch a winning team.

It's like the call for the stadium to be increased above the current capacity by some ppl in other posts, 30750 is plenty enough, even for the PL, we don't want to look like Boro with half empty large capacity ground. This league is by far the most exciting in Europe, anyone beats anyone, you can't call the the top 6 any season, unlike the PL. might get the top 6 in the wrong order, but pretty easy to predict.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Being only an hour from London tourist packages could be sold in London,a one night stay in the grand with tickets for Brighton v Man Utd and a day on the beach
Lovely jubbly I can just hear Del Boy saying it now on a nice little earner with this one Rodney

That could work if there were spare tickets, which there won't be.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
The article was a great read, an gave some good points.

If we go up we all have to accept the fact that in our first season we won't finish any higher than 14th. Unless Tony Bloom decides to spend loads of his money on world class players.:angel:

A season of battling hard, picking up points here and there and going to Old Trafford/Emirates ect knowing that there isn't really a hope in hell of picking up even a point.

Relegation will be a worry from start to end, even if we stay up, it will be the same story the season after.

The PL will be huge for the club, bringing in money and shit but we will be up against it from start to finish, we will be running a marathon but getting kicked and tripped along the way, we'll have to wait and see though I suppose.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Plenty to agree with in that article, but the problem is you can't run a football club on the basis that you DON'T aim for the highest level of success you can achieve. All the drawbacks pointed out by the writer of being in the Premier League are an indication of how a great team sport at the highest level has simply become a moneymaking business, paid for by Sky, lucrative advertising from big businesses ... and ordinary supporters.

Given our history, you'd hope the Albion will do all it can to ensure ticket prices remain affordable. Otherwise the momentum we have gained over the last few years could begin to trickle away. The Championship has been great this season, but we want to see how far we can go: everything is in place for the next level but we HAVE to fight to make sure all the things that make the Albion special for us, the fans, are not lost in the drive for success.

Yes, I'd LOVE us to go up. No, I probably won't enjoy the experience as much as this season, but I doubt this season will be repeated next in the Championship. The soul of the club is the fans. No fans = no club. So let's push on but do all we can to keep the Albion the Albion.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Ain't that the truth, highest league finish since 1983, a mere 30 years ago, and the moans have been deafening at times.

To be fair, moans have come from just a couple of morons who seem to revel in doing it.
I wouldn't let them affect your ambition for our fortunes, they are just going to do same every season.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The article was a great read, an gave some good points.

If we go up we all have to accept the fact that in our first season we won't finish any higher than 14th. Unless Tony Bloom decides to spend loads of his money on world class players.:angel:

A season of battling hard, picking up points here and there and going to Old Trafford/Emirates ect knowing that there isn't really a hope in hell of picking up even a point.

Relegation will be a worry from start to end, even if we stay up, it will be the same story the season after.

The PL will be huge for the club, bringing in money and shit but we will be up against it from start to finish, we will be running a marathon but getting kicked and tripped along the way, we'll have to wait and see though I suppose.

Do you think Southampton have regretted their season, for instance?

Mr-N

Mar 31, 2012
Reasons yes -

Albion in the ( most likely ) best league in the world.
The massive financial boost
Getting to see our club in stadiums like Old Trafford, Ethiad, Emirates and the others, guaranteed. Instead of of maybe getting one in the FA Cup/League Cup draws.
The achievement of getting there after all these years.

Reasons no.

The big rise to our season costs. It'll be worth it, but extra on the monthly DD and the higher cost of Away tickets will be a big impact on the general fans budgets.
The potential disheartening of getting smashed 8 times out of 10.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I thought the corporate part explained that, just repeating what the club have stated. 4 less games means less money coming into the club, regardless of the money for going up.

The increase in TV revenue dwarfs the income lost by playing four games less.

I know that the club are trying to maximise revenue, unfortunately this means squeezing every penny. It's disingenuous to claim that price rises are necessary though.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I think we need a 'jumping the gun' badge for threads about being in the Premier League.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes . Staying up would probably the best season for most of us ever . Also good chance of cup run ..

Expect after that then novelty would wear off and crowds could suffer .

This talk of ticket increases if promoted is not on . As mentioned the riches cover this and its just charging what you can get away with . Ok for first season but receipe for disaster for club fan relations if relegated .

Keep prices same then put them up if we stayed up .

Got to want to go up or no point in it all. Getting there should ensure we would be minimum a side in top 2 divisions for good few years . Nothing guatrnteed though .

Worth going up to see ssn outside our training ground with snotty kids on tow

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Of course we COULD do fine - and with some help from our ' 12th man' instead of tossers getting on players' backs at any mistake.
Pessimism in our lot is usual, low aspirations and dour losers used to yell their complaints from the East Terrace every home game. However rather than watch Premier games like they are a foreign entity only for the elite, why not foster some optomism and enjoy the ride?
Our big worries might be less about losing games to the big boys, and more about losing our best players.
Prem? get in, fill your boots, and get positive about the concept. Personally I'd like to get used to being at the top!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Im in a good place. I am enjoying this ride immensley. cant wait for the play offs and if we win then great, some exciting times next year to be had, but if we dont and we stay in the championship (which for me is the most competitive league in Europe, with some massive teams now) then I will be as happy. The thought of being a little fish in a big pond is ok, but the thought of being a big fish in a little pond appeals just as much.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we are promoted everyone should just enjoy the ride and chill out.

If you have any knowledge of football you will already accept that avoiding relegation is the only aim for us in the Premiership however we may get lucky as have Hull, Reading and Swansea and have a really good first season.

I can decide what will attract more moaning - losing games or KO times being a stupid o'clock

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here