Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we WANT to go up?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The increase in TV revenue dwarfs the income lost by playing four games less.

I know that the club are trying to maximise revenue, unfortunately this means squeezing every penny. It's disingenuous to claim that price rises are necessary though.

Yes football is a nasty business in many respects. It almost punishes loyalty by stretching the price points almost as far as possible, not all clubs I guess and maybe ours won't go too far. But they can put prices up because they know we'll pay, simple. If Tesco put its prices up then I'll buy my spuds elsewhere, bit different with football, I'm not about to switch my allegiance to Crawley because the ticket prices are lower. The money side of Football stinks, pity, but it'll never change

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We'll go up then sneak into Europe in the first season.

No, wait, that was my game on Football Manager

Jimmy Grimble

I wish people would a) stop referring to the Premier League as the 'promised land' and b) stop calling it the 'best league in the world'.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Do you think Southampton have regretted their season, for instance?

The club, unquestionably not. But my mate is a Stains STH and he'd much prefer the Championship ... not just for getting beaten week in week out 'cos he says it makes the winning all the better but he did find the Champ more exciting, less predictable and "fun". He also talks about the cocked up schedules and misses the regularity of Saturday 3.00

It's a view, there'll be others

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The money side of Football stinks, pity, but it'll never change

Not until the fans strongly signal their discontent. Perhaps a mass exodus of the North Stand ten minutes into our first Premier League game? Imagine the global press coverage :D

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not until the fans strongly signal their discontent. Perhaps a mass exodus of the North Stand ten minutes into our first Premier League game? Imagine the global press coverage :D

I think there have been attempts at stuff and they never really come off - didn't Man City fans threaten to stay away from the Emirates this year and still 1100 showed up or something. Even if none showed would it bother Arsenal?

The only way it could ever change would be a sustained and widespread boycott and that'll never happen. Inertia!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Im in a good place. I am enjoying this ride immensley. cant wait for the play offs and if we win then great, some exciting times next year to be had, but if we dont and we stay in the championship (which for me is the most competitive league in Europe, with some massive teams now) then I will be as happy. The thought of being a little fish in a big pond is ok, but the thought of being a big fish in a little pond appeals just as much.

This.

For me what we have coming up is a win win. We've got a great squad which if we don't go up will be strengthened and hopefully keep the majority for next season.

Win = We win the play offs, get the money and enjoy the ride next season with low expectations about staying up.
Win = Stay in the Championship and battle for automatic places, as that will be the next logical step after this season of tageting the Playoffs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If the answer is NO, we should just dissolve the club now, as we would've reached the zenith of what we want to achieve.

Also - as predicted - I notice the usage if the childish and embarrassing phrase "premiershit" has decreased massively since we've started looking like actually reaching it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Some teams such as West Brom and Sunderland have played the leagues well by getting promoted and using the money wisely before getting relegated and then coming back up a few years later in a stronger position.

Other have come up and wasted money only to plummit to the depths where we may not see them gracing the premiership again for a while.

If we get there and come straight back down we have to ensure we put things in place with the extra money that stabilise us for a stronger push in the future.

I wouldn't want us to fear promotion as financially it could help long term

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Very good article and hits the nail right on the head.

Yes, I guess I would like the Albion to go up, but .... and it's a very big BUT.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are frequently threads on NSC along the lines of "Are we a bigger club than...?" Well, a pre-requisite for being a 'BIG' club is a desire not only play in the Prem but to stay in the Prem too.

Perception is important when trying to attract the best players. Jordan Rhodes joined Blackburn Rovers because they offered him money but, crucially, they're a club that have spent the majority of the last 20 years in the Prem including a promotion or two back there.

Having been brought up with 1st Division football and a Cup Final the aspiration to return to the top flight is deep-grained inside me. I believe that the Albion could reach a position where we are naturally able to compete with Norwich, WBA, Southampton, Stoke and Swansea.

We have the stadium and we will have the training ground too. The variable is the manager. Look at Charlton without Curbishley, contemplate Wigan without Martinez. I hope Bloom has a good Plan B; I think we'd do alright with Poyet but be relegation fodder with someone like Mark Hughes / Steve Bruce / Steve McLaren / Sven / Brian McDermott in charge.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Being only an hour from London tourist packages could be sold in London,a one night stay in the grand with tickets for Brighton v Man Utd and a day on the beach
Lovely jubbly I can just hear Del Boy saying it now on a nice little earner with this one Rodney

Unless the club deliberately hold back a number of tickets just for this reason I can't see any being available. But if they do what's to stop away fans buying them and getting into our area? I think we had quite enough of that in 1983!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
30,000 seats x £100 increase each (for arguments sake) means £3m extra in gate revenues. Completely and utterly irrelevant when you are in the Premier League. There is no need - and no sound argument (other than price elasticity "charge it because we can") for increasing the ticket prices in the Prem.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I think we need a 'jumping the gun' badge for threads about being in the Premier League.

I agree there are far to many "when we're in the Prem" threads. But this one is completely legit. Now IS the time to talk about whether we would even want to go up. Not when it has/hasn't happened.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
30,000 seats x £100 increase each (for arguments sake) means £3m extra in gate revenues. Completely and utterly irrelevant when you are in the Premier League. There is no need - and no sound argument (other than price elasticity "charge it because we can") for increasing the ticket prices in the Prem.

THIS THIS THIS - the rationale of raising ticket prices when there is so much HUGE ancillary revenue available stinks! And Sky with their Gary Neville promo talking about standing on the Terraces smelling Bovril etc. They should weigh in and tell the Premier League clubs to slash ticket prices otherwise there will not be any new supporters in 20 years.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I wish people would a) stop referring to the Premier League as the 'promised land' and b) stop calling it the 'best league in the world'.

O I'm so sorry. Well hopefully we end up playing in the most overated league in the world is that better. Come on start to dream and don't be such a sour grape.

Jimmy Grimble

O I'm so sorry. Well hopefully we end up playing in the most overated league in the world is that better. Come on start to dream and don't be such a sour grape.

I am dreaming believe me! Wasn't aimed at you, just a general point about those two Sky phrases. Say-it-as-many-times-until-people-believe-it-regardless-if-it's-true-or-not type phrases.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
What do you think the players want? I think they want to play in the Prem.

We're not going to keep players like Bridcutt and Kusczak and Bridge and Upson for many seasons by staying in the Championship, that's for sure!

Jan 30, 2008
just a short lived dream at a cost to the supporter , YOU COULD SAY IT'S AN OBSCENE MONEY MAKING PRACTICE WITH PLAYERS TAKING OBSCENE WAGES IN TODAY'S ECONOMIC CLIMATE ........................... ever get the feeling you're being ripped off ???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here