Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we really need another centre back?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Yes, although we could get a fullback instead.

6 first team defenders for a 46 game season isn't enough.

6 first team defenders isn't enough, but I was very impressed with Ince in the cup.

I'd rather we went after another left back

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
6 first team defenders isn't enough, but I was very impressed with Ince in the cup.

I'd rather we went after another left back

Can't see the point in another left back. We have cover in Rosenior and that Canadian guy who played very well in that position in the same game that Ince played in.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm struggling to think of the last youngster who we put into the team who played badly and didn't go on to establish himself in the first team squad.

Our trouble is we haven't given many young players the opportunity to break through

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Dunk nearly got concussed on Tuesday night. We already had a RB in CB position and would've been forced to use an inexperienced youngster from the bench.

In addition didn't Dunk finish the game limping?
It will be fascinating when Goldson is fit ..does Bruno revert to FB..does LR deserve to be dropped..I know he can play in midfield ..but the balance there seems fine ..certainly will present some man management challenges

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Goldson is a couple of weeks away.
Uwe has been 'close' for about 6 months. Don't bank on his immediate return.
Hall and White untested.
Bruno doing great but we have no cover at either full back, if Bruno is in the middle. (We are actually missing Inigo Calderon right now).
Its a long season, and people WILL get injured and suspended.
There are no short term loans.

So yes, we 100% need another centre back.

That is wrong we are not missing Calderon at all as Rosenier will take over that role as soon as Bruno reverts to right back. What we need is a left footed CB/LB to cover both positions, like Ridgewell. Bong is getting back to his best so will be No 1 left back with, in an emergency Sam Adekugbe as a cover after LR but if Bruno was injured we would need LR at right back. So I agree we need another defender preferably left footed CB

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Goldson is a couple of weeks away.
Uwe has been 'close' for about 6 months. Don't bank on his immediate return.
Hall and White untested.
Bruno doing great but we have no cover at either full back, if Bruno is in the middle. (We are actually missing Inigo Calderon right now).
Its a long season, and people WILL get injured and suspended.
There are no short term loans.

So yes, we 100% need another centre back.

Very much this apart from Calderon bit.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
On the face of it, yes. But I suspect if we don't get one it's because CH believes he can trust the youngsters or he's willing to play Ince there.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
On the face of it, yes. But I suspect if we don't get one it's because CH believes he can trust the youngsters or he's willing to play Ince there.

He won't ever play Ince there for a league game

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He won't ever play Ince there for a league game

In all honesty, I never thought he'd play Ince again full stop. I was wrong there, so I guess as a fifth choice CB he's not an awful option. Plus, with the main 3 fit, and then Hall as a young option and Bruno/Ince able to play there, we're suddenly overstocked. It's a tough one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is wrong we are not missing Calderon at all as Rosenier will take over that role as soon as Bruno reverts to right back. What we need is a left footed CB/LB to cover both positions, like Ridgewell. Bong is getting back to his best so will be No 1 left back with, in an emergency Sam Adekugbe as a cover after LR but if Bruno was injured we would need LR at right back. So I agree we need another defender preferably left footed CB

Very much this apart from Calderon bit.

Calderon was well capable as COVER for both full back positions and emergency CB. He would have been on the bench for all three league matches to date, if available. We may need better moving forward, but he would have been very useful to have around right now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Calderon was well capable as COVER for both full back positions and emergency CB. He would have been on the bench for all three league matches to date, if available. We may need better moving forward, but he would have been very useful to have around right now.

I disagree Calderon showed last season that he was over the hill and had become a liability for the 1st team I do not think he would have been anywhere near the bench as far inferior to what we have. I am not a great fan but would sooner have Ince as cover for CB than Calderon but a better option is White although untried he looked competent against Colchester.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think it depends how keen on Uwe we really are. If we want him playing lots then no problem, if he's not a long term answer then we need one CB. I like the canadian guy at 4th choice FB but think Ince at CB is barely a step up from my dog (he could have improved the last few weeks).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone else think Bruno could extend his career by another couple of years playing at CB rather than RB?

For sure, if/when his pace goes. Technically there haven't been many better to play for us and he has bags of experience.

He would need an all action type alongside him I think though (Dunk/ Goldson fit that bill.)

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
With Goldson and Huenemeier due back in about 3 games then we have ample cover in the centre back position. If we have injuries or suspensions then we have got promising youngsters waiting for their opportunity. We need to develop these youngsters and give them a chance. Both Dunk and Goldson seized their chance when they had to step up and now have made those positions their own when fit. We've let Tommy Elphick, Grant Hall, Russell Martin, Joel Lynch, to name a few leave in the past, all of whom were products of our youth set up so we need to have faith in the youngsters if they are needed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I disagree Calderon showed last season that he was over the hill and had become a liability for the 1st team I do not think he would have been anywhere near the bench as far inferior to what we have. I am not a great fan but would sooner have Ince as cover for CB than Calderon but a better option is White although untried he looked competent against Colchester.

This but not Ince as CB.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
With Goldson and Huenemeier due back in about 3 games then we have ample cover in the centre back position. If we have injuries or suspensions then we have got promising youngsters waiting for their opportunity. We need to develop these youngsters and give them a chance. Both Dunk and Goldson seized their chance when they had to step up and now have made those positions their own when fit. We've let Tommy Elphick, Grant Hall, Russell Martin, Joel Lynch, to name a few leave in the past, all of whom were products of our youth set up so we need to have faith in the youngsters if they are needed.

Teams that finish top 2 don't normally have to rely on untried youth products. They have depth. Complete nonsense for us to think otherwise.

It's important to have depth and a very strong bench. Not filled with kids. That's for clubs with small budgets. We haven't

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The U23s need to concentrate on not finishing 2nd from bottom of the league this year before we think about fast tracking too many of them into the first team.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

He really didn't show he was a "liability," that is far too strong a comment. You then go on to say that White would be a better option than Ince or Calderon because he "looked competent" against a League 2 side whose biggest threat was Brennan Dickenson.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's a long season and even with Uwe and Goldson back we are still 2 defenders down on last season, Lets learn our lesson and sign another decent centre back and hope we have a fullback who can step up from the U23's if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here