Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we really need another centre back?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dunk nearly got concussed on Tuesday night. We already had a RB in CB position and would've been forced to use an inexperienced youngster from the bench.

Not just any RB though, Bruno has shown that he has the intellect and the class to play centre back pretty comfortably so far. I don't think we need to panic buy, and end up with another O'Grady type we have no use for. We had to throw in Goldson last season, that didn't work out badly, did it? I'm not saying White comes with Goldson's class, the man was in the League 2 team of the year so he had experience beforehand I grant you, but I don't get the impression that Hughton is desperate to snap up a defender. I think we're very nicely set with the balance right now. If we were to sign a defender, we'd want someone able to play centre back and left back but I wouldn't want us to sign just anyone for the sake of appeasing fans who think we need to have more than enough in every position. It's wasteful, as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not just any RB though, Bruno has shown that he has the intellect and the class to play centre back pretty comfortably so far. I don't think we need to panic buy, and end up with another O'Grady type we have no use for. We had to throw in Goldson last season, that didn't work out badly, did it? I'm not saying White comes with Goldson's class, the man was in the League 2 team of the year so he had experience beforehand I grant you, but I don't get the impression that Hughton is desperate to snap up a defender. I think we're very nicely set with the balance right now. If we were to sign a defender, we'd want someone able to play centre back and left back but I wouldn't want us to sign just anyone for the sake of appeasing fans who think we need to have more than enough in every position. It's wasteful, as well.

The days of Burke are gone. This is why the club are taking their time to get the right player in, rather than any old CB.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
All successful sides have numerous top quality options. We are where we are as we mostly have this.

CB and Striker still required so absolutely we do. We cant get caught out in a 46 game season with cup runs. Its not for us to worry about keeping players happy if not playing. We Need options that can step in and be guaranteed top level.

Main concern for me is I'm not convinced Duffy is all that from what I've learnt. Certainly 4m seems steep.

Still be happier with him at back up rather than having to walk the tightrope as we currently are.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We need another left-footed player in case Bong gets injured. That's our number 12.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
We need another left-footed player in case Bong gets injured. That's our number 12.

Or another CB. That frees up Bruno to play RB and Rosenior to either play LB or be Bong's backup (probably the former). Realistically I'd like another RB more than another CB, as (in my opinion) our first choice LB is also our backup RB. It's not a great scenario, as last season's injuries made clear.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think we do. I have a feeling that we may be back in for Ben Marshall. Can play on either wing and in both full back spots. If reports are true and that we had a scout at the Blackburn game yesterday then I think it was Marshall and not Duffy who is the target.

That would make sense, given the excellent job Bruno has done and the youthful nature of our existing centre-back cohort, we'd be looking for a centre back who'd have to be comfortable not really playing all that much.

I see Fulham are apparently in for him and I could certainly see us being able to sell Brighton to him ahead of that.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
With Goldson and Huenemeier soon to return from injury, Dunk and Bruno, plus Hall and White, do we really need another centre back? Also Ince used to be a Centre back before being molded into a defensive midfielder. With 4 clean sheets on the bounce there doesn't appear to be too much wrong!!

Yes we do imo, Uwe's return has been imminent for weeks now but still no sign, if anything happened to Dunk or Bruno we would be a little light in that area.
We need more cover.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Yes we do imo, Uwe's return has been imminent for weeks now but still no sign, if anything happened to Dunk or Bruno we would be a little light in that area.
We need more cover.

We have 2 u23 games next week. I would expect Goldson and Uwe to possibly get a run out. Maybe March also?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With Goldson and Huenemeier soon to return from injury, Dunk and Bruno, plus Hall and White, do we really need another centre back?... With 4 clean sheets on the bounce there doesn't appear to be too much wrong!!

The 4 clean sheets on the bounce are no cause for complacency. Colchester are League Two. Rotherham played like League One. Hall and White are unproven, with this being the wrong season to throw them in IMHO. Goldson and Huenemeier aren't back yet, and when they do, it'll take them a bit of time to pick up the pace. Any injury/suspension to Dunk or Bruno would leave us very vulnerable for the next couple of weeks. Strength in depth is the key, as we've seen with the goal-keeping position.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We definitely need another defender. We can't go through the season with only six experienced defenders. With the way Bruno has played, you could argue for another full back with Bruno being fourth choice centre back but that's not ideal in my view. Now that we're close to getting through the injury crisis, an experience free transfer is an option even if it would take them a while to get match fit.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The 4 clean sheets on the bounce are no cause for complacency. Colchester are League Two. Rotherham played like League One. Hall and White are unproven, with this being the wrong season to throw them in IMHO. Goldson and Huenemeier aren't back yet, and when they do, it'll take them a bit of time to pick up the pace. Any injury/suspension to Dunk or Bruno would leave us very vulnerable for the next couple of weeks. Strength in depth is the key, as we've seen with the goal-keeping position.

Exactly! Look at the fullback situation last season. We had two players for both LB and RB, and it still wasn't really enough.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We need to replace Greer. I have a nagging feeling that Hünemeier won't be back for a while.

If Dunk gets injured/sent off again we are in deep do do.

We haven't played the better attacking sides yet.
Is that the Hunemeier who tweeted a week or two ago that it was great to be back in training and smashing a few balls in the goal?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Goldson is a couple of weeks away.
Uwe has been 'close' for about 6 months. Don't bank on his immediate return.
Hall and White untested.
Bruno doing great but we have no cover at either full back, if Bruno is in the middle. (We are actually missing Inigo Calderon right now).
Its a long season, and people WILL get injured and suspended.
There are no short term loans.

So yes, we 100% need another centre back.
Is probably the right answer.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that the Hunemeier who tweeted a week or two ago that it was great to be back in training and smashing a few balls in the goal?

Probably but I will still feel better when I actually see him playing. Either way we need 4 CBs (imo )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here