Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do we play good football / attractive to watch ?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You'd hope they would be quite good with one of the top 3 managers in the world and two strikers whos combined value is likely more than £300m. How would you say you get to Tottenham's level without having everything Tottenham have in their locker?

By jove, you hit on the solution. Buy Kane and Son. Let the club know about this solution straight away in case they've not thought about it

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying we must do. Because only Tottenham are scoring goals. Leeds, for example, are struggling to find the net because they don't have Kane and Son. How are they scoring goals without spending £300m on strikers? Baffling.

Maybe it's something about building a team to feature the players, rather than picking an 11 and expecting them to make it happen. Just a thought, genius.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying we must do. Because only Tottenham are scoring goals. Leeds, for example, are struggling to find the net because they don't have Kane and Son. How are they scoring goals without spending £300m on strikers? Baffling.

Maybe it's something about building a team to feature the players, rather than picking an 11 and expecting them to make it happen. Just a thought, genius.

Maybe just make your point better and more clearly? If you wanted to use Leeds as an appropriate example (which makes much more sense), perhaps use oh I don't know... Leeds and not Tottenham? Just a thought, genius.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's a bit like trying to achieve orgasm while taking anti-depressants. It takes a while to get things going, once things are going it's a lot of fun to be a part of. You have to accept that you won't get there nearly as often as you'd like, but when you do it's a thing to behold, and such a relief.

And then VAR....?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Maybe just make your point better and more clearly? If you wanted to use Leeds as an appropriate example (which makes much more sense), perhaps use oh I don't know... Leeds and not Tottenham? Just a thought, genius.

Sorry, I lazily quoted your post after I'd replied to the previous - the genius quip was thrown at them, rather than you.

I used Tottenham because they'd been used in the example I was quoting. Personally, I think the issue of style is overrated. Remember how we had the "West Ham way" thrown down our throats as a reason to hate Allardyce. West Ham are, and with one notable exception, always been just another London club with their ups and downs. Today they're pragmatic and well organised. I would guess they're enjoying it more than the losing but attractive football they played under Pellegrini.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am bloody loving the football we are playing, the results not so much

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I am bloody loving the football we are playing, the results not so much

Sorry but it is not all that with glaring weaknesses in defence and attack. It was great to see Sanchez show confidence and ability last night and hopefully we can build on that from the back. He was really the one bright spark.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry but it is not all that with glaring weaknesses in defence and attack. It was great to see Sanchez show confidence and ability last night and hopefully we can build on that from the back. He was really the one bright spark.

‘Tis for me :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sorry, I lazily quoted your post after I'd replied to the previous - the genius quip was thrown at them, rather than you.

I used Tottenham because they'd been used in the example I was quoting. Personally, I think the issue of style is overrated. Remember how we had the "West Ham way" thrown down our throats as a reason to hate Allardyce. West Ham are, and with one notable exception, always been just another London club with their ups and downs. Today they're pragmatic and well organised. I would guess they're enjoying it more than the losing but attractive football they played under Pellegrini.

Ah fair enough mate. Apologies for the sarcastic response.

Now civilities have resumed, I find style is an interesting topic. I'd be interested to know how many people bemoaning Hughton's negative style are now against Potter's more expansive style.

Results drive satisfaction rather than style at our level, but winning is a tougher game in the Premier League and with our group of players, our current approach is more likely to get us out of a rut than the 10 behind the ball approach of latter era Hughton.

There's a reason people tire of Big Sam and Moyes, its tedious to watch. The long and the short of it is that fans are fickle and don't knownwhat they want!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, a world away from the Hughton Years. Potter IN IN IN.

Hughtons teams played some of the best football we have ever seen, in the two years in the Championship. He decided in the Premiership that he didn't have the resources to do the same, and the objective for him then was to stay up.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not last night. :moo:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What we do is actually extremely simple.

We play 3-5-2, as we all know.

Attacking:

The aim is to work it into the central attacking midfield position (usually Lallana), who drifts either right or left of their deepest central midfielder. He then looks into the channel behind the full back for either Lamptey, or March - as shown here:

View attachment 131469

Our problem, as with most teams playing 3-5-2 is working the ball into this position to begin with. We have a philosophy of playing from the back under Potter.

First of all, the ball is passed to one of three centre backs, whose attacking aim is to get the ball into either of the two holding midfielders. Namely Bissouma or Alzate/Groß recently. Their aim is one of two things - either look wide for a wing back who is moving ahead of them past the halfway line (pass appreciation - attacking momentum moving forward, allowing them to gain yards territorially in central midfield up the pitch while the team keep possession), or if they have time to turn, try and find the attacking midfielder in the space shown above. If this doesn't work, which is most of the time, we recycle and pass back to the centre backs and eventually the keeper. This is our first problem.

We are playing one attacking midfielder and two strikers. The two strikers break off to play on the shoulder of the two centre-backs taking them out of the game, leaving one forward passing option. Essentially attacking midfielder versus two central midfielders, plus potentially a holding midfielder. He simply does not have the space to receive the ball, so the ball is recycled (usually backwards) to the centre-backs, then keeper and repeat.

We have an alternate strategy, which has led to some success, particularly early on when it was fresh.

It's the long cross-field ball to Lamptey. In this variation, we consciously drag the opposition across to our left wing back position by playing keep ball, moving to that area of the pitch - their right. Lamptey meanwhile hugs tight to the right touchline and uses his pace to try and get in behind. This has been very effective due to the sheer pace Lamptey has - and was not a tactic utilised when he was suspended as Veltman cannot offer that same pace.

As the game progresses, the idea is that the opposition's attacking press tires - which it often does. Midway through the second half, we play considerably more direct in order to bypass an increasingly leggy opposition midfield. These balls are usually played by Dunk and Webster in the outside left channel towards the striker playing on the left side.

Those are our attacking tactics.

Defensive:

The two strikers do their best to press the defence. March and Lamptey press high, particularly Lamptey, while Bissouma drops deeper and Lallana floats in the centre. The spare left-sided central midfielder Groß/Alzate) picks up their central midfielder/attacking midfielder who is playing in the hole. If the ball is played long, the central defender of the trio (Dunk) comes forward for the header/press and the two centre backs alongside him left and right squeeze in together to make a pair so there is cover.

If I had access to the full 90 minutes I could take more screenshots demonstrating the above, but I don't, so I can't.

Good post but not the whole story. This is one of the variations of a system we play under GP. We also can play with 4 at the back and switch more to a direct style, a counter style, or a patient quarter back style (looking for the lofted through balls when inviting the press).

It’s one of the reasons why I think he’s an excellent manager. We improved so much tactically it’s unreal. At the moment he’s being let down by the finishing and good old fashioned luck.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Is it better than under Poyet at his/our best? I realise it's a different level, but some of the stuff we played back then...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Hughtons teams played some of the best football we have ever seen, in the two years in the Championship. He decided in the Premiership that he didn't have the resources to do the same, and the objective for him then was to stay up.

Yeah, it's shocking the way people have re-written this. We were bloody turgid at the end of his reign but in the Champ we were massively exciting.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Decent football but we make scoring a goal look nearly impossible at the moment.
Watching the Leeds game from last night the way they broke up the field from their own box 3 times at such pace and rattled the back of the net it looked so easy!

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
Leeds play Bielsa ball - that's why they are so good on the eye. 3 training sessions a day. All the experts say they cannot last the pace. The Prem is easy compared to the Championship as you only play once a week instead of every 3-4 days. Brighton need to drop one of their centre backs and play White in his best position - in the middle, where he intercepts play and starts attacks. For me Brighton play nice possession football but it is too easy to defend against. White in the middle would put pace into your movement - instead you rely on getting Lamptey one-on-one but his final ball is very inconsistent. Your strikers aren't scoring because it takes too long for the ball to get to them and Maupay always wants an extra touch, he makes bad choices and for me is lazy. If you played faster you would win more corners and with the height in your side you should score some goals.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Totally agree, last 2 years in the Championship we were great to watch, attacking with plenty of goals spread about the team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here