Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we now need anymore players before the transfer deadline?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think enough business has been done, providing we don't lose Dunk. Of course it would be nice to bring in a few more superstars, but I'm not feeling greedy!

Time to relax, get the team gelled and focussed, and wait for a couple of absolute top quality, class season-long loans.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd like to see someone who can threaten Baldock and another winger and being greedy better cover than Chicksen at LB, oh and a young CB....
Isn't Rosenior better cover at LB than Chicksen? And as for young CBs, what's wrong with Rea and Dallinson (Have I spelt that right)?

Either way, we look much much stronger than last season...
Yep, agree with that.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Isn't Rosenior better cover at LB than Chicksen? And as for young CBs, what's wrong with Rea and Dallinson (Have I spelt that right)?

I'd like to see both go out on loan ideally. Best ways they will only get a cup game or two this season unless something changes. A youngster who has shown up in the lower leagues with 50 ish first team appearances already replacing both could be a good move, as we would get to see if they have what it takes elsewhere. The incoming youngster ideally would be a more immediate 1st team possibility. I doubt it would happen but four capable CD's for a 46 game season would be ideal although I accept Rosenior/Calde could do a job.

Take your point about Rosenior I had forgotten he can play LB too.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Yeah id sign another winger maybe Marshall from blackburn and then a quick forward maybe a lad on loan until Harper is fit, as our forward line is looking better with Hemed, Baldock, Zamora, Harper, and other youngsters as well as O'grady who i would now sell and get a quick lad on loan from a premiership side, id maybe still go for a creative midfielder as well eg Texieria type player or him ideally.
So still another 3 ideally or 4 to really get a bigger squad.
Forward - loan
Creative midfielder and
Winger and maybe another centre back.
Id then loan out Rea, Dallison and maybe Starkey who are promising and give them league experience.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Right winger
Striker
Tex ( or similar )

Colunga, Chicksen to go.

Dunk to stay, or to go and be replaced.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Another winger, ship out COG and Colunga and buy another No. 10 type player that is actually effective.

That's it for me. We need a "he shoots he scores...." type of player and against all odds we could just challenge

Edit: I still expect us to bring Texeira back on loan

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
For me, it depends if Dunk goes. If he does then we need to replace him and someone in the #10 position (like Tex played last year), and possibly other people if we send squad players out on loan (i'm thinking of people like Chicksen, Colunga etc). Whilst it seems Murphy can operate on either wing, one more won't hurt but it has to be at the right price.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, ignoring future prospects, we've signed:
Another gk
3 defenders
1 winger
1 striker from Almeria (never heard of 'em)
1 forward that doesn't score much anymore, Chris wasn't really after, but went for to keep us quiet.

It's excellent work so far, we're already a lot better than last season, and I hope we can enjoy watching the games at least. But I guess we haven't yet added enough goals to be making a challenge. Playing a 442 instead of 451 / 433 we'll get over-run in midfield more often, and we'll want to hit teams on the break, so an overpriced players like Marshall would still be really useful, as would a Teixeira replacement.

Yes, I've had a bit to drink, what's your point?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm going:
Bennett
Tex on season long loan
A striker no one's mentioned
I think you may be right, unless we can do the deal with the Venkys for Marshall.

#15 ( RW )
Marshall, Buckley, Benno

Tex

Mystery Striker

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think a few maybe moved on now. Culunga, COG gone if we can find any takers. Chicken prob on loan again, along with potentially JFC as well as maybe someone like Dallison going out to get some game time. Also think Holla may go if we get an offer for him although I hope he stays as he can pick a pass but is currently looking like 5th choice behind kayal, Stephens, ince and crofts when he is fit.
1 winger and 1 attacking midfielder/striker in and I think we will be set for a crack at promotion once again.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Defensive midfield is missing to a certain extent as I think (don't you?) think that playing Beram Kayal further forward is better! We still very right-sided so Forster-Caskey has a place on the left hand side in 4-2-3-1.

I'm really not sure how many times we'll be playing a 4-2-3-1 this season which is very much a Poyet/Garcia/Hyypia formation?

Southend aside, in the warm up games and Forest game, the dominant system has been 4-4-2 without a defensive midfielder (we don't play a traditional diamond formation). We have two modern mobile box to box central midfielders in Kayal & Stephens, they'll be pushed by Crofts once he gets fit with Ince providing a more defensive option and Holla a more creative one with his great set pieces. Can't see how we need another DM as if we start to play a system that requires that role, we've got a good few players who could do it well.

I agree about JFC though, can't see him starting unless he has Ince and maybe one other in midfield to help him out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Transfer News Live on twitter reckon we are trying to BUY Tex, rather than loan him.

Clearly as it's just a Twitter account, it is made up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Liverpool may have some more signings to come. Lot's of competition for the lad. I still think he has a number of improvements to make in his game, hopefully we'll get the nod if he becomes surplus to requirements at Anfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here