Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we now have a fecking Entitled fanbase?

Do we now have an entitled fanbase

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I saw a chart the other day that had Brighton as the 5th highest net spend in the PL in the past 5 years.

Those crying for more to be spent are wrong, money is being spent - just really badly.

I think most of us know that, we squandered a lot of money in our first flush of the PL.

However check out our SALARY budget. We’ve not been competitive there at all. And the league table largely is sorted by total. wage budget.

Btw, who’s crying for money to be spent? I haven’t seen that. I have seen continuous asks for a goal scorer, which is not unreasonable.

Anyway I’m fully behind the manager and the club and Tony Blooms long term vision whatever happens. The people who are moaning are the ones that want Potter out and replaced by Eddie Howe every time we get a bad result.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think most of us know that, we squandered a lot of money in our first flush of the PL.

However check out our SALARY budget. We’ve not been competitive there at all. And the league table largely is sorted by total. wage budget.

Btw, who’s crying for money to be spent? I haven’t seen that. I have seen continuous asks for a goal scorer, which is not unreasonable.

Do you think we could have got Ollie Watkins if we'd been more competitive or was it a 'done deal' with Villa because of the Dean Smith connection?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Do you think we could have got Ollie Watkins if we'd be more competitive or was it a 'done deal' with Villa because of the Dean Smith connection?

I guess none of us are privy to that. I certainly wanted Watkins and I remember being quite surprised we weren’t in for him. There were some Itk posts here (supposedly) That his wage demands were stratospheric and not something we could compete with.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I guess none of us are privy to that. I certainly wanted Watkins and I remember being quite surprised we weren’t in for him. There were some Itk posts here (supposedly) That his wage demands were stratospheric and not something we could compete with.

We have to face facts, that in the not too distant future, possibly the next three weeks, we are going to have to pay at least one player £100,000 a week plus to stay and compete in the EPL, Watkins may very well have wanted that kind of money but I wonder how many goals he'd have scored by now?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have to face facts, that in the not too distant future, possibly the next three weeks, we are going to have to pay at least one player £100,000 a week plus to stay and compete in the EPL, Watkins may very well have wanted that kind of money but I wonder how many goals he'd have scored by now?

Well that might mean getting a new owner then because I'd sense that Bloom and his team are pretty committed to having a sustainable wage bill and show no signs of either being able to afford or want to go down that very risky route.
PS: Watkins has had a good start - he's an impressive player and we know Albion were interested - but so far he has as many goals this season as ...Neal Maupay.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have to face facts, that in the not too distant future, possibly the next three weeks, we are going to have to pay at least one player £100,000 a week plus to stay and compete in the EPL?

We both know that’s not going to happen though.

The non win stats keep being trotted out, justifiably, but we have only lost 7 and 1 in the last 5. We have only lost heavily once and we have been in most games right up to the final whistle. The season is not even half way through.

We need a bit more of this, not unrealistic transfer demands, this is a well named thread it seems :wink:

17007667-FE6C-4275-A7F5-F698DA28A905.jpeg

As a point of interest how confident would be be if we were three points behind Fulham with two games in hand? I’d say not very confident at all, points in the bag and all that!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Anyway I’m fully behind the manager and the club and Tony Blooms long term vision whatever happens. The people who are moaning are the ones that want Potter out and replaced by Eddie Howe every time we get a bad result.

I think the player procurement policy has been a bit like older houses or classic car markets

buy a minter with high maintenance ( Regency seafront/Aston DB5 )

By a nice wreck to restore Low outgoing & high/risky maintenance

or buy something blinged up for top dollar but easy to maintain ( extended 3 bed in Hangleton or a classic Ford! ) but no guarantee of performance/satisfaction once in posession

obviously the top tier is not us. we have a mix of the other two.

I do like an analogy. We are an Alfa ROmeo/Ford Capri club, base model. no rust, solid 1300 engine . . .trying to compete in a Maserati race. Whilst a few ferraris bugger off into the distance.

At least we're not a rusty red & blue XR3i !

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Well that might mean getting a new owner then because I'd sense that Bloom and his team are pretty committed to having a sustainable wage bill and show no signs of either being able to afford or want to go down that very risky route.
PS: Watkins has had a good start - he's an impressive player and we know Albion were interested - but so far he has as many goals this season as ...Neal Maupay.

Good post.

I for one am glad we did not push the boat out for Watkins,Good player but not the natural goal scorer we needed.

We should have made more effort with Dia but that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the player procurement policy has been a bit like older houses or classic car markets

buy a minter with high maintenance ( Regency seafront/Aston DB5 )

By a nice wreck to restore Low outgoing & high/risky maintenance

or buy something blinged up for top dollar but easy to maintain ( extended 3 bed in Hangleton or a classic Ford! ) but no guarantee of performance/satisfaction once in posession

obviously the top tier is not us. we have a mix of the other two.

I do like an analogy. We are an Alfa ROmeo/Ford Capri club, base model. no rust, solid 1300 engine . . .trying to compete in a Maserati race. Whilst a few ferraris bugger off into the distance.

At least we're not a rusty red & blue XR3i !

Could be worse, what if we were a Ford Cortina? :wink:

Inspired by you dissing Alfas :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Could be worse, what if we were a Ford Cortina? :wink:

Inspired by you dissing Alfas :lolol:

If we were a mK1 Cortina we'd have been in the european places by Christmas, then thrown a rod, got a 2nd hand smokey engine down the breakers and limped to Easter, then failed MOT on strut tops and had to bodge our way to survive 17th come May.

seasons in cars . . .there's a thread!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The Watkins deal looks to be about £52m once you include agent fees, add-ons and 5 years salary at £70k per week. This is massive investment from Villa and one that I’m pleased we were priced out of as he is doing no better than Maupay.

No player is going to earn £100,000 in the near future here but we may well have to put a new striker signing on something close to what our captain & what Lallana gets.

With Connolly and Welbeck out at the moment, this month might see that investment, especially if the Tau work permit issue can’t be addressed successfully.

However, £100,000+ salaries makes for fantastic click bait.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I saw a chart the other day that had Brighton as the 5th highest net spend in the PL in the past 5 years.

Those crying for more to be spent are wrong, money is being spent - just really badly.

Brighton have high net spend because we have invested in the playing staff but haven't sold anyone of note, plus those that are of interest to other clubs (Dunk & White for example) were not allowed to leave in spite of big incoming offers.

I also don't think we've spent money really badly. Sure, we've had high profile misfires (Jahanbakhsh (who I still think has something to offer), Locadia (shudder), Andone, Izquierdo) but I would also argue we've had our fair share of successes (Bissouma (13m), Ryan (6m) until recently, Webster (20m), Propper (20m), Maupay (14m), Trossard (18m), Lamptey(4m)) and those players have youth on their side except Propper.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Brighton have high net spend because we have invested in the playing staff but haven't sold anyone of note, plus those that are of interest to other clubs (Dunk & White for example) were not allowed to leave in spite of big incoming offers.

I also don't think we've spent money really badly. Sure, we've had high profile misfires (Jahanbakhsh (who I still think has something to offer), Locadia (shudder), Andone, Izquierdo) but I would also argue we've had our fair share of successes (Bissouma (13m), Ryan (6m) until recently, Webster (20m), Propper (20m), Maupay (14m), Trossard (18m), Lamptey(4m)) and those players have youth on their side except Propper.

That's the trouble isn't it ? you mention 4 players - I would include Trossard in that by the way that are misfires - and you are looking at around 60 mil less wages.
If we could magically swap those for one a quality striker (40 - 50 mill) plus a left back for 20 ish, would we not all think, with hindsight, that that would be a better deal.
You could argue the squad overall would be weaker but those players you have identified offer nothing either through long term injury, out on loan or just good old plain shite.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Propper cost £12m and well worth it classy player when he’s on his game. Also thought Trossard was £15m.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's the trouble isn't it ? you mention 4 players - I would include Trossard in that by the way that are misfires - and you are looking at around 60 mil less wages.
If we could magically swap those for one a quality striker (40 - 50 mill) plus a left back for 20 ish, would we not all think, with hindsight, that that would be a better deal.
You could argue the squad overall would be weaker but those players you have identified offer nothing either through long term injury, out on loan or just good old plain shite.

Shite Trossard who set up two goals against Wolves?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Shite Trossard who set up two goals against Wolves?

Yes your right, he crossed the ball for Connolly, on that basis I and another 40,000 should be playing elite football. Watch the player who scored against Liverpool when we lost 3-1 at home and when we played and lost against Utd, that's and elite footballer trying his best and bringing a huge influence on the game, but twice in say 5 months??? sorry but I want more consistency from players that cost millions rather than carrying those who offer very little in attack and defence for most games. There are clear cut reasons why we are in the position we are in. :down:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Doesn’t that just back up bad recruitment? Unable to move on poor buys and being lumbered with them.

Lamptey and Bissouma are the standouts there, outstanding signings.

Propper and Ryan are decent

The rest are hit and miss -

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

True, if we could get those two in it would undoubtedly be better, but we're not in the position to magic up a 40-50m striker that guarantees goals. If you spend that, you're also going to have to match their wages which could be £100k+ p/w if you use Watkins as an example. You're then already at a £50m signing fee, plus £25m in wages over 5 years for a player that might not fix our problems if he doesn't score goals. Then you're stuck with a players that's smashed our wage structure and our transfer budget.

Timo Werner is a good example of someone who has scored goals absolutely everywhere, but seems to be struggling to find his feet at Chelsea. In recent years, it's quite rare to sign a striker that hits the ground running without being at a club for a few years first. Of the top 10 goalscorers in the premier league this season, only 1 is a new signing for their club (Callum Wilson at Newcastle). All of the others are established in their roles over a number of years and only two you could argue were immediate hits at their club after signing (Salah and Ings).

Maupay is 13th on the list and is on track to score 10+ goals for his 2nd season and he's only 24. Younger than all the goalscorers above him in the charts except Calvert-Lewin who is in his 5th season at this level.

My point is, yes we could have banged all that money on a striker but would if have guaranteed success for a club at our level? Likely not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here