Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we now have a fecking Entitled fanbase?

Do we now have an entitled fanbase

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But Hughton was sacked and GP was bought in to take us to the next level, this is arguably the best group of players ever assembled in the clubs history, so by the very fact we haven’t gone to the next level is that not failure in itself?

GP has surely been brought in for a number of things.

Whether you rate him or not. Surly you have noted he’s blooded lots of young players? Some bought, others from our academy. And he’s changing the playing philosophy from top to bottom. Surely you haven’t forgotten our “style” under Hughton where we had 11 behind the bell most games? No shots?

Results have been poor lately. No question. And any manager will be spotlighted and criticised in the short term.

But we have to look at the bigger picture as that’s what Tony does ultimately. He has all the facts, he knows the remit. I trust Bloom to make the right call.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
But we have to look at the bigger picture as that’s what Tony does ultimately.

Some people simply can’t look at the big picture, they can only judge what is on front of them here & now. I suppose that’s a good thing or else we’d have a supporter base full of people like Tony Bloom, everyone is different and that should be applauded. The more mixed and diverse our supporter base, the better.

However, it does irk me that Potter is constantly accused of ‘tinkering’ whilst he tries to protect players from injury and ensure those who start have maximum fitness levels over a profoundly busy festive period. Sadly, he made a mistake by playing Connolly yesterday, the gamble didn’t pay off as he went off injured, yet there are some who think Connolly, the injured Welbeck, the knackered Maupay or the inexperienced Zeqiri should have started against Arsenal. There is no pleasing some people.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Some people simply can’t look at the big picture, they can only judge what is on front of them here & now. I suppose that’s a good thing or else we’d have a supporter base full of people like Tony Bloom, everyone is different and that should be applauded. The more mixed and diverse our supporter base, the better.

However, it does irk me that Potter is constantly accused of ‘tinkering’ whilst he tries to protect players from injury and ensure those who start have maximum fitness levels over a profoundly busy festive period. Sadly, he made a mistake by playing Connolly yesterday, the gamble didn’t pay off as he went off injured, yet there are some who think Connolly, the injured Welbeck, the knackered Maupay or the inexperienced Zeqiri should have started against Arsenal. There is no pleasing some people.

In the last two games clone he has made 11 changes has he not protecting players or whatever he wants to call it there is no consistency with him and never has been . The here and now is one home win in 2020 with only the second half display last night offering any light of change .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In the last two games clone he has made 11 changes has he not protecting players or whatever he wants to call it there is no consistency with him and never has been . The here and now is one home win in 2020 with only the second half display last night offering any light of change .

Still refusing to comprehend squad rotation I see, the changes were to protect players not for Potter to feck around with the team for fun FFS. We have played three games in 8 days

I’m completely chilled out buddy.

But just pointing out the top 10 target is a LONG TERM goal. Not this season, or necessarily next. And relegation may happen at some point, as it has for nearly every team in this league.

Apologies, I know you were chilled out, I'd had a couple of beers last night, coupled with being frustrated by us, the lair came out.

I agree with you second comment this time around, but we do seem to have taken a step back recently. Let's hope we can turn it around. I'm still behind Potter, but again, that first half just made me lose even more faith in him, so I'm fencing still on him. If we back him in the window, I'll fully be in the IN camp.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Apologies, I know you were chilled out, I'd had a couple of beers last night, coupled with being frustrated by us, the lair came out.

I agree with you second comment this time around, but we do seem to have taken a step back recently. Let's hope we can turn it around. I'm still behind Potter, but again, that first half just made me lose even more faith in him, so I'm fencing still on him. If we back him in the window, I'll fully be in the IN camp.

[emoji106] hear hear

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I think GP isn’t helped by the fact he seems to have several players who need to be treated with kid gloves. Notably, Lallana, Welbeck, Lamptey and Connolly. So no wonder he has to make changes, even more so when considering injuries and suspensions.

Lallana especially is a concern for me. It seems to me to be a huge upheaval to accommodate a player who can only play one half of football. I don’t know if that’s something forced on GP or by his own choosing. I’d sooner he play the full 90mins but miss the next game. But maybe he can’t do that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

One of the biggest sticks that was used to beat Hughton was that he never changed the team. And that his in game substitutions were always too late.

How times change, eh ?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Still refusing to comprehend squad rotation I see, the changes were to protect players not for Potter to feck around with the team for fun FFS. We have played three games in 8 days

Same as others did they make as many changes and it’s not just the last two games see thread guess the team it’s become a standing joke each game

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Survival is an achievement in itself. We will need more time to progress to a top half team, maybe another season or two. Whatever the outcome we have come a long way and the people in charge are doing their best to provide 'success'. Everyone's entitled to vent and offer an opinion but on the day get behind the team and leave all that until after the whistle.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But Hughton was sacked and GP was bought in to take us to the next level, this is arguably the best group of players ever assembled in the clubs history, so by the very fact we haven’t gone to the next level is that not failure in itself?

Do you think ‘the next level’ can be achieved in 18 months with a very young group of players, or might it be something that happens over a period of years as they continue to develop? We’ve seen improvements in the likes of Bissouma, March and Webster and replaced older players that were not going to improve with better, if injury prone, versions. We now go into every game with a chance - not the case under Hughton in his second season, because we were so passive. There’s been plenty of progress which it would be harsh to write off if we narrowly miss out on staying up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One of the biggest sticks that was used to beat Hughton was that he never changed the team. And that his in game substitutions were always too late.

How times change, eh ?

Indeed, along with the ‘never gives youth a chance stick’ and the ‘we don’t create any chances stick’.

Interestingly, it seems that the criticisms change but it’s the same people criticising the manager.

There is someone who knows an awful lot more about this than me and goes by the name of Tony Bloom, as long as he is happy with Potter, I am.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I saw a chart the other day that had Brighton as the 5th highest net spend in the PL in the past 5 years.

Those crying for more to be spent are wrong, money is being spent - just really badly.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I saw a chart the other day that had Brighton as the 5th highest net spend in the PL in the past 5 years.

Those crying for more to be spent are wrong, money is being spent - just really badly.

Don’t expect too much of a reaction to this post, is doesn’t sit well with the people who say we don’t have a budget to compete.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Is 3 games in 8 days really that bad? It’s the same as Championship teams face week in week out and similar to Premier League teams who are in Europe. Also, those 3 games had a 7 day break before and 8 game break after with the latter game being a cup game when you can rest players. The bigger picture is that those 3 games were the only 3 within a 20 day period.
That doesn’t strike me as overly taxing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is 3 games in 8 days really that bad? It’s the same as Championship teams face week in week out and similar to Premier League teams who are in Europe. Also, those 3 games had a 7 day break before and 8 game break after with the latter game being a cup game when you can rest players. The bigger picture is that those 3 games were the only 3 within a 20 day period.
That doesn’t strike me as overly taxing.

It isn’t. But if GP wants to rotate players, no problem from my perspective - what does not sit well for me, is the formation that started a Arsenal.

GP can hide behind slight knocks, but Maupay could have started vs Arsenal, and would have been more use than the hapless AJ.

Arsenal got away with it and they were terrible in that first half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It's not a surprise though. A lot of the knee jerk moaning fans just want the opposite of whatever the manager is currently doing if we lose. It really does make them look stupid though, so that is not so bad.

Speaking personally, in 55 years of support for this club, the only thing I have ever wanted is to see my team win games of football. To me, the style of victory has never been that important. A win makes me feel better. It improves my mood and doesn't spoil my weekend. When you look back over past seasons, the record books don't tell you how you played, they just show the result. For me, style is secondary. I like winning and I don't care how its achieved. Of course, to win in style, playing open attractive football is desirable but I get just as much pleasure from solid defensive displays backed up by direct counter attacking. So I come from the ' results first, style second camp ' as, I imagine, a number of fans do. Therefore, in 55 years, I have always judged a manager on results. So, its not knee jerk from me. Its what I have always done. So after two wins out of seventeen league games, its no surprise that I am a tad concerned. I do console myself, however, that we have only lost 7 of those games, so there is some resolution in the squad. Its not a question of being stupid or lacking intelligence, as some are suggesting. Its purely down to difference of opinion. To simply everything into a ' for the managers methods or against ' is narrow minded at the least.
The manager has introduced a new refreshing style of play, easier on the eye but as yet, is waiting to reap the rewards. The style is fine if maintained at the right tempo. The trouble we have as a side is maintaining the right tempo. It drops too easily, as in the first half v Wolves and as in a number of games this season. Then it just becomes a rather tedious possession based exercise played in front of the opposition, who regroup very easily every time. When we are able to play at a higher tempo we look a better and different side. We stretch the opposition more and we look more dangerous. This inability to maintain tempo needs to be addressed. If its the management making adjustments, then that has to be looked at. If its certain players at fault, then the management have to identify and change.
This style of play depends on accuracy and pace. Tempo is vital. Moving the ball quickly and accurately. There is too much variance at the moment. It is too easy for teams to defend against us. Long term, we have to keep upgrading the squad, finding new players able to play this style better. That will determine whether we can progress. Relegation won't destroy the plan but it will set it back. Other clubs have tried it but ultimately failed because of lack of resource i.e the ability to spend ever increasing amounts of money to keep improving. I don't think there are many fans out there who didn't buy into the managers plans. They can see what he is trying to do. At the moment, some need convincing that there is enough consistency to achieve those aims

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

There is no next level.
You have two levels and that is it....
1 ) The elite clubs who, whatever happens, are guaranteed staying in the PL ad infinitum. This is the Big Six plus Everton.
2) The rest. That even includes clubs that might have done 10 years in the top flight and appear settled. If you looked at the PL table in 10 years time, could you say for sure that Leicester, West Ham, Wolves and Southampton would be in it, let alone Leeds, Villa, Newcastle and Palace?
Its a moveable feast. An ever changing mini league. Sheff Utd..9th last season...potentially relegated this season. No such thing as top ten and settled. Every year, 13 clubs are playing to stay in the division. Of course, some have lofty aspirations. Why not. Nothing stays the same in clubs. A slight change in the dynamic can see a club rise suddenly or fall suddenly. Within the ' mini league ' some have greater spending power than others. Some have better recruitment teams. All have different managers and coaching teams and thus, different abilities.
Within the mini league, you have three promoted teams and at least five or six teams that on any given season will be in a comfortable position. It doesn't leave much room to get it right or wrong. You have to be better than three other clubs. Thats it. If you keep upgrading your squad you have a chance. If you have clever management you have a chance. The longer you stay in the PL, the more chance you have, every season, of finishing above two of the promoted teams. For a club like Brighton, its fine margins every season. There will be no next level or comfort zone. Its survival, pure and simple.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don’t expect too much of a reaction to this post, is doesn’t sit well with the people who say we don’t have a budget to compete.

Well compete is subjective but Its perfectly possible to argue that investment in transfer fees has been high both historically since 2017 and also in terms of (net) millions spent - tv money and Bloom's largesse help with that and also a reluctance to cash in on young players. But also that our overall average wage bill is small for the Premier League - bottom 6 or 7. Both are true. There's also some sign that our reliance on a high net transfer spend is in decline. Our key players from the last two windows were low or free transfers and (perhaps) one day Bloom is going to cash in on a Bissouma or a White or a Lamptey. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here