Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Do we need a General Strike?

Do we need a General Strike and force a General Election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I agree it is utter dross.

But we will replace one set of idiots with another.
Well they’re all idiots, but some idiots are more equal than others. I think we could replace them with a Party at least who has a record of fighting for public services workers and redistributing wealth through taxation. A coalition of Lib/Dems would be probably better than this lot or just a Labour majority.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
whether or not you're correct, this Tory government is completely done and has run out of steam. I feel like everything that's happened in the past 12 years...austerity, Brexit, Covid, scandal upon scandal alongside a near constant turnover of senior governmental positions has done them in.

You can see it in parliament and whenever any of them bother to face the media...there's no energy or spark there whatsoever. They know the game is up and they need a bit of time away to regroup and come up with some fresh ideas
This is how I see it. Also, the lack of a General Election in the immediate future has led to an alternative pseudo General Strike sentiment.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Sunak is a dick. He claims it's between union leaders and ordinary people. Firstly union members vote for strikes, their democratically chosen leaders then front them. Secondly the strikers are the ordinary people: postie's, Nurses, Teachers, Bus Drivers, Ambulance Drivers, BT workers, Rail Workers, Firemen and women etc. It is between ordinary people on one side and their bosses and the government on the other. I'm quite clear who's side I'm on. Good luck and solidarity to all those that carried this country through the pandemic and every day - all for rapidly declining wages and services.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sunack is a dick. He claims it's between union leaders and ordinary people. Firstly union members vote for strikes, their democratically chosen leaders then front them. Secondly the strikers are the ordinary people: postie's, Nurses, Teachers, Bus Drivers, Ambulance Drivers, BT workers, Rail Workers, Firemen and women etc. It is between ordinary people and their bosses and the government. I'm quite clear who's side I'm on. Good luck and solidarity to all those that carried this country through the pandemic and every day - all for rapidly declining wages and services.
members vote for industrial action, leadership then direct what action to take. why do unions go straight to strike first, without any other actions? work to rule, overtime bans would be very effective, probably more relevant in many disputes over terms and conditions.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
members vote for industrial action, leadership then direct what action to take. why do unions go straight to strike first, without any other actions? work to rule, overtime bans would be very effective, probably more relevant in many disputes over terms and conditions.
They certainly don't. If you vote for an overtime ban or work to rule than that's what they will call. By and large with some of the strictest anti union laws in the world, it is very hard to win a ballot for action and the last 20 years has seen the majority of votes for strike not lead to one.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
They certainly don't. If you vote for an overtime ban or work to rule than that's what they will call. By and large with some of the strictest anti union laws in the world, it is very hard to win a ballot for action and the last 20 years has seen the majority of votes for strike not lead to one.
Agree, my union were upfront about the rationale and actions. The tight anti union laws meant it was only following ballot results they were able to specifically target those actions.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
… By and large with some of the strictest anti union laws in the world, it is very hard to win a ballot for action ….
And it’s about to get a lot tougher for the transport workers because creeping its way very quietly through Parliament is a Bill paving the way for the Government to be able to set a requirement for Minimum Service Levels when a ballot does exceed 50% - and for the Secretary of State to decide what those minimum levels should be if the unions or an independent arbitrator can’t reach an agreement with an employer within 3 months. The Tories are now debating whether MSL should also apply to ambulance workers and other healthcare workers

This combined with the repeal of ‘scabbing legislation’ in the Summer (that now allows employers to bring in agency staff to cover striking union members), the unions are facing the most draconian anti-strike laws since Thatcher.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And it’s about to get a lot tougher for the transport workers because creeping its way very quietly through Parliament is a Bill paving the way for the Government to be able to set a requirement for Minimum Service Levels when a ballot does exceed 50% - and for the Secretary of State to decide what those minimum levels should be if the unions or an independent arbitrator can’t reach an agreement with an employer within 3 months. The Tories are now debating whether MSL should also apply to ambulance workers and other healthcare workers

This combined with the repeal of ‘scabbing legislation’ in the Summer (that now allows employers to bring in agency staff to cover striking union members), the unions are facing the most draconian anti-strike laws since Thatcher.

I don’t agree with some of the way this is going from the side of the unions, but this is ridiculous.

From what I saw a couple of years ago with the crew at BA/Virgin - when it came to the push the unions were pretty useless, I can see this ending in the same sort of way with people braking rank and signing a new deal against the unions wish.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not exactly true, a ballot can ask members if they wish to strike, take other action short of a strike, or both. Only if a majority have voted for both options can the Union leaders then decide whether to call a Strike or not. Most of the time other action has been taken first, we just don't hear about it, or register it much if we do, because it doesn't affect the wider population so much. Overtime bans are being used by the RMT in the current dispute, as well as strike action, and are currently in place with members of TSSA and ASLEF, depending on where they work. ASLEF recently had to re ballot it's members under the law to ensure that they still wanted to include strike action in the same dispute, as it has been ongoing for more than 6 months.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Additionally, basic public healthcare insurance in Germany excludes a lot of chronic healthcare provision, requires supplemental payments for prescriptions etc
The supplemental payments are a known thing and not that much. The prescription supplement is a red herring in my opinion as this covers things which are prescribed here but over the counter in the UK.

What chronic healthcare is excluded? Not heard of this before.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The supplemental payments are a known thing and not that much. The prescription supplement is a red herring in my opinion as this covers things which are prescribed here but over the counter in the UK.

What chronic healthcare is excluded? Not heard of this before.
I said ‘cronic healthcare provision’ so eg pharmaceuticals for:

Alopecia
Chronic allergy treatments
nasal sprays

€5-10 euros supplements per prescription (personally, I’m on at least 8 prescriptions a month, so that would be at least another €40 per month plus 6 other prescriptions that aren’t covered at all but would cost me about £80-£100 if I had to pay over the counter for them here)

%10 of costs for Physio for example for chronic muscular and joint conditions.

€10 per day for hospital costs

Supplements for non-emergency ambulance transport (people with chronic conditions often require regular visits to hospital )

It may work out financially viable for people on a reasonable working income who are not chronically sick with a number of comorbidities. But like every private system favours the well off and disadvantages the poor imo.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Alopecia
nasal sprays

€5-10 euros supplements per prescription (personally, I’m on at least 8 prescriptions a month, so that would be at least another €40 per month plus 6 other prescriptions that aren’t covered at all)

%10 of costs for Physio for example for chronic muscular and joint conditions.

€10 per day for hospital costs

Supplements for non-emergency ambulance transport (people with chronic conditions often require regular visits to hospital )

It may work out financially viable for people on a reasonable working income who are not chronically sick with a number of comorbidities. But like every private system favours the well off and disadvantages the poor.
@Herr Tubthumper can correct me, but I believe the lowest income/benefits/retired are covered by the state?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I believe so. And all the additional items being referred to above are capped at 2% of your salary.
Only the supplements not the treatments excluded!

Whatever you argue, no one is going to convince me that the NHS should be dismantled and a private healthcare system be bought in. I’m proud of our NHS and will stand up for it until I die 👍

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Alopecia
nasal sprays
So you’re saying these treatments are not covered by German healthcare at all?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Only the supplements not the treatments excluded!

Whatever you argue, no one is going to convince me that the NHS should be dismantled and a private healthcare system be bought in. I’m proud of our NHS and will stand up for it until I die 👍

What about the NHS are you most proud of? What is world leading about it, it’s certainly not the treatment side.

The Nurses/entry level staff are great, which people seem to think you are insulting when you say it’s not fit for purpose.

Reactions: abc

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So you’re saying these treatments are not covered by German healthcare at all?
Well of course you’d know wouldn't you?

I can only go on what I can found out online

“if you’re looking for hair loss treatment, your luck’s out. The same is true if you’re fond of herbal remedies; many appear on the Ministry of Health’s list of drugs you can’t claim for – along with treatments you can buy over-the-counter (OTC) like cold medicines, Ibuprofen and nasal sprays.”

All this is a distraction from the real issue on this thread - this UK GOVERNMENT needs to start investing in our public services or fcuk off and let another Party do it for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here