Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Do we need a General Strike?

Do we need a General Strike and force a General Election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sorry, I'm a believer if you want to work then work. If you don't like the way the company you work for handles themselves, then piss off and get another job.
I don't know if you realise this, but you don't have to stay with that company if you don't want to :shrug:
All strike action achieves is allowing unions to bully people into thinking that they don't have a choice...

I've crossed it out, as it'll probably upset too many sheeple, er, I mean people....did I mention I don't like unions? I miss Maggie

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'm sorry, I'm a believer if you want to work then work. If you don't like the way the company you work for handles themselves, then piss off and get another job.
I don't know if you realise this, but you don't have to stay with that company if you don't want to :shrug:
All strike action achieves is allowing unions to bully people into thinking that they don't have a choice...

I've crossed it out, as it'll probably upset too many sheeple, er, I mean people....did I mention I don't like unions? I miss Maggie
a true patriot!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ultimately Britain is increasingly starting to feel like a country which is failing. Just wait until people realise we’ve run out of penicillin.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I don't see Starmer offering anymore than the Tories. We need to fight for better pay and conditions, and to save public services. The money is always there when they want it! Tax the rich, close the tax havens, tax the massive profits and start spending on those in society that do all the work of value to humanity and on the most vulnerable. Just look how much that can spunk away on smart meters, nuclear power stations, tax breaks, PPI, PFI, weapons, missiles for the Ukraine, cross rail etc.
Those that run Britain are always on the take, now we must fight for our share of the cake.
Strike!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah but what about Labours record on housing?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everybody's record on housing is poor. In fact everybody's record on everything is poor.

Those who desire power are the least deserving of power and the least able to wield power.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I know it’s their jobs but crikey this is some thin gruel indeed. It must be so demoralising working the Tory Twitter feed knowing you’re reduced to basically pushing an ever more pathetic “I know you are but what am I?” line.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it’s their jobs but crikey this is some thin gruel indeed. It must be so demoralising working the Tory Twitter feed knowing you’re reduced to basically pushing an ever more pathetic “I know you are but what am I?” line.
Just practicing for their time in opposition.

We've got 5 whole years of this after the next election, there's nothing they won't try and stick on Labour and the front page of The Daily **** will back them all the way.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Unfortunately, its also bullshit, 2/3rds of the affordable homes built in London during Bojo's stint as Mayor were built under a scheme set up by the Labour Government, and had f*** all to do with Johnson.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Unfortunately, its also bullshit, 2/3rds of the affordable homes built in London during Bojo's stint as Mayor were built under a scheme set up by the Labour Government, and had f*** all to do with Johnson.
Yep, and one of the most successful is Camden Council with their re generation of old council property and land including ground breaking passive houses, (my wife is involved) labour through and through, being mp for St Pancras and Holborn Keir was part of process for agreeing the ground breaking scheme, that has won many awards and is a blue print for re generation here and abroad.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As for strikes, I honestly do not know, the only thing that I cannot fathom is, when a country is on its knees, and unable to fund the NHS, food, heating, travel prices going through the roof. How can the government afford to pay those in civil and public sectors ? Would that not take away much needed funding and day to day costs, cuts surly would be made elsewhere by whichever political party in power ?
My other concern is those in the private sector that are suffering and have no recourse or prospect of better pay, also unable to strike without fear of repercussions.

I work within the building trade, and rumours are abound that big house builders are after Christmas cutting way back on new build projects, as sales have plummeted. This should not affect our company as we also do a lot of new HA properties and currently I have 8 sites on the go, with work schedules for another year, but those rumours of painters, chippies, and brickies being laid off after Christmas are on multiple sites, these are generally self employed, and have no recourse, these people I feel for as there is no option to strike or be protected.

I am not aligned to any political party, neither left nor right, just confused and slightly concerned for the long term future of this country and its children.
concerning times indeed.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All these people demanding pay rises must understand that their increases will mean cuts elsewhere. There isn't a bottomless pit of money. Reserves were drained during Lockdown, when the government supported the vast majority of the population, to stay at home, stay safe and still be paid 80% of their salaries. The increases in gas/electric and fuel prices have helped recoup some revenue but the coffers are still pretty empty.
In the private sector, employers are faced with harsh decisions. Defer wage increases and keep jobs or cut jobs and find a bit extra for those who are left. We all have sympathy with key workers but there now seems to be an element of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and demanding more. It feels like the country is now being held to ransom.
These are tough times for everybody. Hundreds of businesses are closing daily and it will get worse before it gets better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The country is a mess at the moment, and failing in pretty much every area. What is needed isn’t more strikes but a GA and a brave government to take power and totally overhaul the nation, including much needed electoral reform and a proper constitution to getting back into the single market as soon as possible; the easiest and quickest way to kick-start and boost the economy.

Will this happen? Labour are not brave enough, too conservative and too worried about upsetting the Red Wall idiots; the only way we might see this is via a Lib/Lab coalition. I also feel a Lib/Lab coalition gives a strong mandate for real change, stronger than just a Labour win.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As for strikes, I honestly do not know, the only thing that I cannot fathom is, when a country is on its knees, and unable to fund the NHS, food, heating, travel prices going through the roof. How can the government afford to pay those in civil and public sectors ? Would that not take away much needed funding and day to day costs, cuts surly would be made elsewhere by whichever political party in power ?
My other concern is those in the private sector that are suffering and have no recourse or prospect of better pay, also unable to strike without fear of repercussions.

I work within the building trade, and rumours are abound that big house builders are after Christmas cutting way back on new build projects, as sales have plummeted. This should not affect our company as we also do a lot of new HA properties and currently I have 8 sites on the go, with work schedules for another year, but those rumours of painters, chippies, and brickies being laid off after Christmas are on multiple sites, these are generally self employed, and have no recourse, these people I feel for as there is no option to strike or be protected.

I am not aligned to any political party, neither left nor right, just confused and slightly concerned for the long term future of this country and its children.
concerning times indeed.
The cost of the public sector is massive. Some organisations see between 10- 15% of revenue go straight into the pension pot.

Reactions: abc

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
All these people demanding pay rises must understand that their increases will mean cuts elsewhere. There isn't a bottomless pit of money. Reserves were drained during Lockdown, when the government supported the vast majority of the population, to stay at home, stay safe and still be paid 80% of their salaries. The increases in gas/electric and fuel prices have helped recoup some revenue but the coffers are still pretty empty.
In the private sector, employers are faced with harsh decisions. Defer wage increases and keep jobs or cut jobs and find a bit extra for those who are left. We all have sympathy with key workers but there now seems to be an element of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and demanding more. It feels like the country is now being held to ransom.
These are tough times for everybody. Hundreds of businesses are closing daily and it will get worse before it gets better.
Absolutely but that is not what the punters want to read, so please stop this unwelcome dose of reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here