Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we miss Hughton?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Wolves survived the double drop and have come back better than ever and that is what football is about if we go done too.

In our promotion season we went to Molineux and beat them comfortably.

They are now miles ahead of us...... but they've only come back "better than ever" because they were sold to the mega money Chinese consortium, Fosun, who put Jorge Mendes in charge of transfers.

Wolves play great football but similar to Man City, they won the lottery with money no object buyers who wanted to spend big on their new project and attract top players.

You really can buy success.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How has time answered that Hughton wasn't the answer? He kept us in the Premier League, what else did you expect of him? a European place perhaps?

It's simple, Because Bloom sacked him. For the only person that actually counts in these situations, TB....... he clearly believed after the absolutely dire second half of last season, the lack of academy players possibly coming through? That Hughton was not the answer and that his time was up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Here’s a thought that will blow millennial minds in this age of binary, Polarised views only........What IF neither were quite good enough?! What if a THIRD choice was allowed. Radical I know, but what if another manager then and now was perhaps a better prospect?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
How has time answered that Hughton wasn't the answer? He kept us in the Premier League, what else did you expect of him? a European place perhaps?

I see what you are saying there. For me Premier League survival and an FA Cup Semi-Final was over achieving and can understand why Chris was surprised at the sack. I can’t go to matches, living in Spain but can understand how the fans and TB were not happy with the football. I watch every game via the internet but it isn’t the same as being there. I was still as unhappy as everyone else at the style of the football.
I feel so much happier watching the Albion these days. The football, at times, is sublime.
Still team Potter!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only time will tell if Potter is the answer. Time has already answered that Hughton isn't.

Cobblers. Nobody knows for definite - you have an opinion, which is fair enough, but it sure as hell isn't a fact. With the right recruitment in the summer (probably different to the recruitment for Potter), he might have turned things round and be doing quite well now. Or he might not. Bloom or Ashworth might have 'had a word' about changing the style, which he might have taken on board, successfully ....................... or not.

What we do know is that TB thought he wasn't the answer, so now we've got Potter. That's fair enough. Hughton might have turned it round, or he might not; it's irrelevant now as we will never know, and neither will you. It doesn't matter. The King is dead; long live the King.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Cobblers. Nobody knows for definite - you have an opinion, which is fair enough, but it sure as hell isn't a fact. With the right recruitment in the summer (probably different to the recruitment for Potter), he might have turned things round and be doing quite well now. Or he might not. Bloom or Ashworth might have 'had a word' about changing the style, which he might have taken on board, successfully ....................... or not.

What we do know is that TB thought he wasn't the answer, so now we've got Potter. That's fair enough. Hughton might have turned it round, or he might not; it's irrelevant now as we will never know, and neither will you. It doesn't matter. The King is dead; long live the King.

That's exactly what I wrote in post #42 above. I'm not offering my opinion as fact, I'm not even offering my opinion, you're making wrong assumptions! I was stating the fact that for Bloom (the only opinion that matters), he was not the answer and his time is up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's exactly what I wrote in post #42 above. I'm not offering my opinion as fact, I'm not even offering my opinion, you're making wrong assumptions! I was stating the fact that for Bloom (the only opinion that matters), he was not the answer and his time is up.

Yes, it's a fact that Bloom considered it was time for him to go. That's not actually what you said in post #37 though - and that's what I was responding to. Bloom has taken a gamble on Potter; he may be right, he may be wrong - but we'll never know whether retaining and backing CH would have yielded equal or better results. Let's agree that we hope Bloom has called it right, eh?
:)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Hughton is a good manager, most in football would agree that. He was here for 4.5 years and that is a good run for a manager He achieved a playoff place, promotion, FA Cup semi final and kept us in the Premier League for two seasons. That is overall an excellent achievement. It all went wrong from him at the end of last season and there were worrying signs earlier. There is always a time to move on and that was probably it.
Bloom had choices obviously and this should not be Potter v Hughton. Potter is inexperienced and has achieved very little in the British game either as a manager, coach or player. He now has a massive job on both to keep us up and if we go down, to get us back up. It is likely to be the making or breaking of him as a top level coach/manager.
I am not missing Hughton right now but if we do go down, I will wonder If his knowledge and experience, rather than the naivety that we have recently been seeing, might have kept us up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, it's a fact that Bloom considered it was time for him to go. That's not actually what you said in post #37 though - and that's what I was responding to. Bloom has taken a gamble on Potter; he may be right, he may be wrong - but we'll never know whether retaining and backing CH would have yielded equal or better results. Let's agree that we hope Bloom has called it right, eh?
:)

It is what I said in #37 you just interpreted it differently.

The first half of #37 "time will tell if Potter is the answer....." also reads that he will be here until either he leaves (may still be the managerial answer for our club/owner but chose to leave) or Bloom sacks him for whatever reason he chooses (not the answer).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hughton is a good manager, most in football would agree that. He was here for 4.5 years and that is a good run for a manager He achieved a playoff place, promotion, FA Cup semi final and kept us in the Premier League for two seasons. That is overall an excellent achievement. It all went wrong from him at the end of last season and there were worrying signs earlier. There is always a time to move on and that was probably it.
Bloom had choices obviously and this should not be Potter v Hughton. Potter is inexperienced and has achieved very little in the British game either as a manager, coach or player. He now has a massive job on both to keep us up and if we go down, to get us back up. It is likely to be the making or breaking of him as a top level coach/manager.
I am not missing Hughton right now but if we do go down, I will wonder If his knowledge and experience, rather than the naivety that we have recently been seeing, might have kept us up.

There will be championship clubs desperate to get him. Not sure if the PL job he's holding out for will be forthcoming? He's a gent, a top coach and what he achieved with us from where he started was nothing short of remarkable.

I'm sure everybody wishes the last 6 months were something like the first 18 in the PL, if so maybe he would still be here? It's Blooms club and his call, it was awful at the end, desperate stuff, but imho Hughton was in part let down by poor recruitment. Was it he that decided to buy Locadia ? Or was it foisteted on him?

Bloom has spent gazillions, whatever he wants goes..... whether style? More academy players coming through? Who knows, that's his prerogative to make any call he wants and for him to define what success for our club is.

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
In light of our recent performances, I often find myself wondering where we'd be now with Hughton at the helm instead

Bottom and cut adrift like Norwich. Possibly even worse. I can only imagine the shitshow that dressing room would have looked like if we'd kept him on another summer. I love him, he's a legend, and you're a troll 100% but there was no PL future under CH for a third year IMO. At all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
it’s Blooms club.

No it’s not, let’s not go there, he saved it for us, the fans. He is the custodian and is as a betting man, working/ playing the odds on survival/progression as a club, a fine balance in this league. He may very well get this wrong, but him being a methodical big picture thinker he has only the best interest of the club at heart I’m positive of, but even He can be blindsided by the future, whilst not looking at the here and now....

Hughton had to go the results and more importantly the performances and dressing room had gone, Potter has new ideas, and trying to instil them on an inherited ageing, uneducated squad, we can all see the signs that when it works it’s a sight to behold. Come on Tottenham 3 feckin nil, Arsenal, numerous other games we should of held on or won after dominating, lapses of concentration or quality cost us points not management.....

Team Potter :D

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, we were horrible to watch in the prem under him. We just need to sort ourselves out in front of goal!
Exactly this, GP can do nothing about our 10 minute collapse Tuesday night he had the tactics nailed again. People point at Webster Dunk was just as bad and looking at the bigger picture if we put our chances away the defensive errors wouldn’t be as catastrophic.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In light of our recent performances, I often find myself wondering where we'd be now with Hughton at the helm instead - Would we be thriving top ten? or continuing our abysmal form that we ended last season in? Would AJ have scored yet? Personally, I was absolutely gutted that Hughton got sacked. We reached the semi-final of the FA cup (which was a brilliant day out!), survived relegation (albeit only just) - surely those tick all the boxes for a club like us?

I understand that Potter definitely needs time to adapt and shape his team but honestly, bar a few performances, we've struggled to pick up points this season and have had just too many poor results. The reality is that now points are needed far more than style right now. Right now we're on an abysmal run of form - picking up one point in January, when we really should of got around 6 - and yet all I hear is still 'give Potter time' or 'we're playing well though'. I understand that we have a lot of potential as a squad and do like what Potter has done here but if we loose to West Ham i'm sure a lot of fans, including me, are going to turn against him.

If we beat West Ham then sure i'll be fine and this run of form will hopefully be forgotten but once again - Where would we be now with Hughton ... ?

Fair enough, you’re having a better season than I thought you would but that was a lot of money to spend on benteke, wasn’t it?

HBoi

May 15, 2019
Hampshire
Agreed

Plus he kept us in the Premier League for two straight seasons. Yes his tactics were ultra defensive, but in seasons one and two, that was the only way to survive.

Some on here really do expect miracles. Get real, we are Brighton and Hove Albion,we are not and never will be Barcelona.

Exactly - and the FA cup semi-final

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here