Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we have a £170m gap in our midfield?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Don’t want to piss on everyone’s chips but that was a bang average performance from last season. Without doubt it looked like a team who haven’t played together but for me we seem to have a huge gap in midfield.

No zippy oh my god moments in the midfield. Counter attacks seemed slow. Little worried about better opposition ahead.

But 4-1 didn’t get out of first gear maybe I need to cheer the f*** up.

Views?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s interesting take. Last season we had more flair (remembering this is the first game!), but I felt all of our team seemed a little more industrious particularly with Gross in the middle, and that more than made up for the missing players.

Last edited:

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Don’t want to piss on everyone’s chips but that was a bang average performance from last season. Without doubt it looked like a team who haven’t played together but for me we seem to have a huge gap in midfield.

No zippy oh my god moments in the midfield. Counter attacks seemed slow. Little worried about better opposition ahead.

But 4-1 didn’t get out of first gear maybe I need to cheer the f*** up.

Views?
Pretty much exactly that. Watching the Villa-Newcastle game and we would have been torn to pieces by them.
Hopefully we get some extra players in there before the window shuts. Or, we will have to not get annoyed with a mid-table finish as the younger players develop.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
You need to perk yourself up a bit, we’ll play better and lose a couple of times this season.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
First game of the season with 11 man behind the ball to break down, and players still having a bit of rust.

It will take a few games to really get going and for the new lads to properly learn the system.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you’re right too. We need a defensive mid of real quality. Gilmour / Gross / Alzate / Dahoud are all quality players and offer so much, but that out and out Bridcutt / Caicedo pin is not there for me. Not a Mac / Caceido £170m hole - but a Moises hole. That’s the key one for me. We weren’t bad at all - we weren’t good by our high standards… Key 3 weeks in the transfer window (which should have closed a week ago!)

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Our whole game changed with Gilmour he was demanding the ball if not, pointing the direction it needed to go.

In reality if Welbeck hadn't been wearing builders boots or Fergie had started the game we would have won by 6 7 or more

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think you’re right too. We need a defensive mid of real quality. Gilmour / Gross / Alzate / Dahoud are all quality players and offer so much, but that out and out Bridcutt / Caicedo pin is not there for me. Not a Mac / Caceido £170m hole - but a Moises hole. That’s the key one for me. We weren’t bad at all - we weren’t good by our high standards… Key 3 weeks in the transfer window (which should have closed a week ago!)
Blimey I agree :ROFLMAO:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nobody can argue we didn't look physically light in CM. And I think a stronger team might've scored at least two in the first half.
We don't have anyone who can do Moises job. I think it's inevitable we will sign at least one defensively minded midfielder. Right now in thinking Adams is just the ticket.
Edit: although now reading he failed a medical at Chelsea and is out for 4 months. Wonder if that is PR.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Nobody can argue we didn't look physically light in CM. And I think a stronger team might've scored at least two in the first half.
We don't have anyone who can do Moises job. I think it's inevitable we will sign at least one defensively minded midfielder. Right now in thinking Adams is just the ticket.
Yes

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We need a destroyer who can play football. Not many of them out there which is why Chelsea are giving us so much for one.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Every game and every opponent is different. Everton at home last season was completely different to Arsenal away with probably the same midfield. Had we played Villa or Newcastle today I'm sure we would have performed differently. We will be fine, we already have quality midfielders who may take a little time to truly gel but I thought we looked good today and chances are there may be more incoming anyway. Enjoy the ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here