Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do Referees Actually Enjoy Their Job?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Rubbish , the sort of deflection comment i would expect from someone who knows their losing the point .

My ONLY point is we have too many mistakes because we have too many bad refs . In the last 3 games alone .
1 Rabinho should have seen red .
2 Robertson should have seen red .
3 Estupinan`s goal should have stood .
4 The ref should have cut out the constant time wasting and fake head injuries .
5 The Mitoma penalty should have been checked . If it was as has been suggested then why was Dunk asking for VAR check .

If you agree with any of these then you want the same as me , better reffing .
Have a re read of the thread title and then decide if the problem lies a little closer to home…

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Questions that needs answering is why do so few ex-players go on to ref?
Because they are used to making dirty good money and being able to make 20-30 mistakes every game without someone expressing a desire to murder their families.
Alexis (as an example) kindly gives the ball to their defender a dozen times in a game and then makes a nice nutmeg on some loser and all we'll talk about afterwards is how he tricked a player into go buying hotdogs in the stands.

Meanwhile a referee gets nearly every throw-in call or basic free kick right but then either makes the wrong call in a 50-50 duel or refrains from breaking the rules through allowing the game to go on despite some alleged head injury, and we all want him sacked and replaced by some non-league bloke who we for some f***ing reason are convinced would do a better job, because surely there can't be worse refs than those in the Premier League.

Being a footballer generally gets you appreciation from a lot of people now and then. You get to be a hero. You bath in money, pussy and confirmation. Meanwhile if you are refereee, the reward you get for a fine performance is complete silence and that your kiddo might not get beaten up by some bully supporting the losing team.

Its a shit job. Refs really have massive balls and impressive levels of control and guts to go on to the pitch every week despite knowing that everyone will hate them. Of course no ex player wants that. Barely anyone else either, and players, managers and fans are doing their best to chase them away. As someone who primarly sees football as a community activity, my choice to stalk Graham Potter was an easy one. He is the only manager who never blames the ref. Mourinho, Klopp, Tuchel, RDZ and so forth always blame the ref when their teams lose... it is a f***ing destructive, cheap piece of showboating to please the fans and take no responsibility for the results in the games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rubbish , the sort of deflection comment i would expect from someone who knows their losing the point .

My ONLY point is we have too many mistakes because we have too many bad refs . In the last 3 games alone .
1 Rabinho should have seen red .
2 Robertson should have seen red .
3 Estupinan`s goal should have stood .
4 The ref should have cut out the constant time wasting and fake head injuries .
5 The Mitoma penalty should have been checked . If it was as has been suggested then why was Dunk asking for VAR check .

If you agree with any of these then you want the same as me , better reffing .
In the last 2 games alone:
1. Alexis Mac Allister should not have made a poor tackle that nearly sent him off
2. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored against CP
3. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored another
4. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored a feckin hattrick against Palace
5. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored against Fulham

By your logic we saw all these mistakes because the player isn't good enough. Are you willing to chase Alexis out of town for not being good enough? You think Tony Bloom should go to his home and terminate his contract? If not, how come you accept that Alexis (or ANY other player for that matter) makes mistakes but demand sackings any time a ref make mistakes?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Not at all. I back the ref to make those decisions. I can cope with things not going my way and still have a great day at the football.
The same as you i want to enjoy a great day at the football , and if we lose i`m miffed the same as the next guy , but lose because we were beaten fairly not because even with the benefit of technology a bloke sat miles away from the game cant do his job even though he has assistants to help him .

Remember i am not talking about the man who turns out on a Saturday morning giving his time for the kids , i am talking about a so called Professional . I have read a dozen times on this forum " If i were that bad at my job i would get the sack " with reference to poor referees , so why when i point out the same failings am i wrong for doing so . And yes i appreciate the title of the thread , it doesn`t change the facts .

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
In the last 2 games alone:
1. Alexis Mac Allister should not have made a poor tackle that nearly sent him off
2. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored against CP
3. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored another
4. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored a feckin hattrick against Palace
5. Alexis Mac Allister should have scored against Fulham

By your logic we saw all these mistakes because the player isn't good enough. Are you willing to chase Alexis out of town for not being good enough? You think Tony Bloom should go to his home and terminate his contract? If not, how come you accept that Alexis (or ANY other player for that matter) makes mistakes but demand sackings any time a ref make mistakes?
Richard !

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
As someone who primarly sees football as a community activity, my choice to stalk Graham Potter was an easy one. He is the only manager who never blames the ref. Mourinho, Klopp, Tuchel, RDZ and so forth always blame the ref when their teams lose... it is a f***ing destructive, cheap piece of showboating to please the fans and take no responsibility for the results in the games.
I often agree with you but this isn't strictly true - when Dunk got sent off against Man Utd he basically blamed the ref and VAR for not being strong enough and being influenced by the players. It's classic Potterism. Doesn't blame players because he knows one day he might manage them, "it is what it is" and indirectly blaming things outside his control. And I write that being someone who liked him.

Asked about whether he blamed the United players he said "I don’t blame them I am not being critical it is what it is. They have to do their bit for the team but you need the referee and VAR to make the calls independently."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I often agree with you but this isn't strictly true - when Dunk got sent off against Man Utd he basically blamed the ref and VAR for not being strong enough and being influenced by the players. It's classic Potterism. Doesn't blame players because he knows one day he might manage them, "it is what it is" and indirectly blaming things outside his control. And I write that being someone who liked him.

Asked about whether he blamed the United players he said "I don’t blame them I am not being critical it is what it is. They have to do their bit for the team but you need the referee and VAR to make the calls independently."
Disagree strongly though I had not seen that comment actually and was surprised by that. Yes, he might have said something bad about the ref 2-3 times in his career. At one point, when coaching Swansea against Wigan (?), he blamed the pitch, which made me facepalm.

More often than not his explanations are either "we weren't quite good enough" or "the opponents were very good". I can't think of a manager who speaks less about referees after losses. No coincidence that the refs picked him as the manager of the year all his years in professional football in Sweden and that a number of refs in England (like Mike Dean) has mentioned him as one of the most respectful managers.

I mentioned in another thread that any manager blaming or trashtalking the referee should get the "punishment" of going out to ref some grassroot games. 99% of the people in top football cause issues for anyone working with kids or amateurs while not giving much if anything back.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
The VAR cameras (I presume) are set up at every ground, if that's the case, why don't we have some geek watching it (isolated) somewhere in the ground and make a quicker decision...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Watching Darren England on Saturday, and witnessing the abuse he was taking for most of the game from players and fans alike made me think.

Is it really worth their while for referees to take all the non stop vitriol that they often recieve? Ok at Premier League level they are very well paid for it, but much less so further down the pyramid, physical assaults from players and fans are not unknown at non league level either, plus the situation is getting worse, not better. An awful lot of travelling involved too, and time spent away from family and friends.

It all leads to me asking myself this question, would l do it? The answer is no, l don't think l would.

Makes you think that those involved should temper their reactions more for someone who takes low pay (non-league) and keeps taking & taking just to try and move up to higher pay. Hmmmmmmm.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think a lot of the problems qwould be resolved if the only players allowed to approach and talk to a ref in the match were team captains, unless the ref has spoken to the player . Anyone else who does should be verbally warned, then booked. Anyone mouthing off at the ref , swearing at , getting in the face etc should be red carded

Once the players respect the refs then the abuse will stop, however all the time the FA does nothing to prevent players running the length of the pitch to surround and verbally abiuse the referess there can be no surprise when its coppied all the way down to grass roots level

Stamp that out, and referees will be less intimidated.

Then they may actually be able to perform better

I am actually surprised that when some thug of a player shouts and is in the face of a ref, the ref doesnt then think, ill show the twat and then look for any excuse to book them

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think a lot of the problems qwould be resolved if the only players allowed to approach and talk to a ref in the match were team captains, unless the ref has spoken to the player . Anyone else who does should be verbally warned, then booked. Anyone mouthing off at the ref , swearing at , getting in the face etc should be red carded

Once the players respect the refs then the abuse will stop, however all the time the FA does nothing to prevent players running the length of the pitch to surround and verbally abiuse the referess there can be no surprise when its coppied all the way down to grass roots level

I am actually surprised that when some thug of a player shouts and is in the face of a ref, the ref doesnt then think, ill show the twat and then look for any excuse to book them
Ive noticed that recently its Dunk who is the one to question things on behalf of the team…so there is hope

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Do parents talk to their children about who they think are the best referees and why?

I can remember flicking through a sticker album as a kid and pointing at a picture of George Courtney and being told, ‘He’s a great ref, everyone respects him.’

Perhaps we need to start shifting the mindset of all referees being poor by remembering the mistakes they make, to celebrating them for all the things they get right each match?

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

You have to be very careful here imho , as we have seen Mike dean 2nd yellowed Dunk and sent him off for a foul committed by Bissouma ( it happened last month again Charles of Bolton who is white was sent off for punching an FGR player , but it was Kachunga who committed the offense and is black ) , with muppets like that out there , there is every chance a ref will hear swearing ( wot from a footballer , heavens ! ) and card or send off the wrong player , if you wish to watch 7 aside games go for it .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s more we expect perfection because we get to draw lines, slow down and repeat watch after the game in an analytical manner. Unavailable to the poor sod at the time. Everyone’s a ref. And nobody would be one.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The VAR cameras (I presume) are set up at every ground, if that's the case, why don't we have some geek watching it (isolated) somewhere in the ground and make a quicker decision...
The to and fro will literally only take a couple of seconds at most. Data travels very quickly!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Whilst many on here are right that it’s ridiculous to abuse lower league and junior referees it is absurd to think that any Premier League referee is in the same boat.

Darren England is a professional who is paid at the very minimum £70k a year (he’s FIFA so likely on considerably more than that) plus a fee of around £1500 per game. He should absolutely be held to a higher standard than a park ref and if he fails to reach the levels required to perform the job properly then he should be chastised for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here