Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do Referees Actually Enjoy Their Job?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don’t recall that …bit dramatic?

Point being that refs are quitting the game - or ending up in hospital after an assault - at grass routes level and even up to pro level. I'd be the first to admit that the level of refereeing isn't great in the PL but if the ones who are any good jack it in because of abuse then how do we ever expect it to get better? Grass routes kids football gets a lot right. Kids generally matched with teams of a similar ability, the respect line which does deter the majority of gobshites and an approach to avoid league tables until 12 to try and make the kids enjoy it and lessen the importance of the result. Something like lengthy bans, rule change or whatever needs to be done otherwise the current situation will only get worse regarding refs. It certainly won't get better.

The players don't help either. Taking advantage of the head injury rule is a low tactic which needs to be tackled. The school of thought is that the "ref should stamp it out" not that Fulham shouldn't take the piss in the 1st place. Pro Player behaviour is replicated at all levels and it isn't a good look.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
The Veltman one was checked but Dunk was asking for the ref to check the Mitoma one which he waved away as a goal kick , my understanding was that because the ref believed it cut and dry VAR wouldn`t be involved , something that the commentator on the thread i was using also stated .
VAR would still tell the ref if they thought he had made a mistake.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I still have a go at refs at all levels (In my head or verbally at matches) its part of the passion for the game (but never abusively) HOWEVER Im well aware they get one view (notwithstanding VAR which I hate) and from a totally different angle and speed as me on sidelines, in the stands and im not privy to whats said etc on the pitch. Ultimately we need to work on improving safety for refs and that starts with respect. Grassroot youth games have sin-bins for dissent but will we see that in lower steps of adult games then work its way up? Not sure. I think the basics often are wrong at professional level for example 2 keepers in basically the same kit yet youth matches clear instructions are that's not allowed, not helped by PL games on TV where it is. How do refs get respect at lower levels for things like that - it all starts somewhere. Do refs enjoy it I'm sure some do for different reasons and those professionally are reasonably well paid at the top. Questions that needs answering is why do so few ex-players go on to ref?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
VAR would still tell the ref if they thought he had made a mistake.
I thought so too , but the co-commentator ( sounded like it was Townsend ) seemed to think not and pointed out the ref being asked to check VAR . My understanding was that VAR would be used less this season , and had to be asked for by the ref , obvious goals and obvious penalties aside , as it would cut down stoppage time checking everything .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If they wanted to use VAR to help the ref more especially in the head injury incident. He must stop play as the protocol States. During the period of treatment the VAR could always check the contact. Advise, especially like the one in the middle of the pitch Saturday where the physio treated the ankle, that clutching his head was wrong. The player is then shot or at least booked.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought so too , but the co-commentator ( sounded like it was Townsend ) seemed to think not and pointed out the ref being asked to check VAR . My understanding was that VAR would be used less this season , and had to be asked for by the ref , obvious goals and obvious penalties aside , as it would cut down stoppage time checking everything .
That's your biggest mistake right away. Thinking Townsend knows anything about football especially the laws of the game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I also mentioned common sense , when you have a player tackled from behind with physios on the pitch and the player has to go off , with several other players and the entire stadium asking for a red card , that`s when the common sense bit should tell you that either The Amex is the best choreographed group on planet earth or maybe just maybe use the ******* VAR and ask for assistance , spoiler alert - he didn`t . VAR no longer has to intervene without being asked by the referee , and even then the final decision lies with the on field official .
So you want refereeing decisions made basis the noise from 30000 people too far away to see anything and many of whom are too pissed to stand up ? So the noisier the ground the more referrals to VAR for the home team. Blimey. I reckon this is exactly why we don’t see these problems in cricket and rugby. Fans of those two sports just wouldn’t make a proposal like that.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
So you want refereeing decisions made basis the noise from 30000 people too far away to see anything and many of whom are too pissed to stand up ? So the noisier the ground the more referrals to VAR for the home team. Blimey. I reckon this is exactly why we don’t see these problems in cricket and rugby. Fans of those two sports just wouldn’t make a proposal like that.
Come on you know full well i don`t mean it like that . As soon as a ball hits anyone in a crowded penalty area half the crowd screams for a penalty , i get it that`s supporters for you , but when there is a serious foul the response is genuine , even the panel of ex players on Sky on Saturday`s agree with that .

I have to take my tickets for whatever part of the stadium i can , and from most parts you can get a very clear view of ( for instance ) the Ferguson tackle , and you would have to be pissed not to have seen that .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Come on you know full well i don`t mean it like that . As soon as a ball hits anyone in a crowded penalty area half the crowd screams for a penalty , i get it that`s supporters for you , but when there is a serious foul the response is genuine , even the panel of ex players on Sky on Saturday`s agree with that .

I have to take my tickets for whatever part of the stadium i can , and from most parts you can get a very clear view of ( for instance ) the Ferguson tackle , and you would have to be pissed not to have seen that .
Well, I don’t want any refereeing decisions taken by referees at Anfield basis the reaction of the Kop.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Well, I don’t want any refereeing decisions taken by referees at Anfield basis the reaction of the Kop.
OK i`ll bite , the implication being while poor Ferguson was being treated for that disgraceful foul the ref could have asked VAR to check the tackle , instead he did nothing !.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I did it for 10 years. Got quite high and officated some now senior Premier League and England players.

I'm 4-5 years into a break

It is, largely a thankless task, but can be rewarding.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Point being that refs are quitting the game - or ending up in hospital after an assault - at grass routes level and even up to pro level. I'd be the first to admit that the level of refereeing isn't great in the PL but if the ones who are any good jack it in because of abuse then how do we ever expect it to get better? Grass routes kids football gets a lot right. Kids generally matched with teams of a similar ability, the respect line which does deter the majority of gobshites and an approach to avoid league tables until 12 to try and make the kids enjoy it and lessen the importance of the result. Something like lengthy bans, rule change or whatever needs to be done otherwise the current situation will only get worse regarding refs. It certainly won't get better.

The players don't help either. Taking advantage of the head injury rule is a low tactic which needs to be tackled. The school of thought is that the "ref should stamp it out" not that Fulham shouldn't take the piss in the 1st place. Pro Player behaviour is replicated at all levels and it isn't a good look.
Thats a well put argument ….and you may have noticed that i did post over the weekend about the abuse (am i allowed that word.. smile) of the head injury rule by players …a rule brought in to protect and now is being misused as a tactic and we aren’t just talking about Saturday….i agree managers/players/clubs need to take more responsibility…and i think we can agree that the standard of reffing/var needs to improve.

As regards to the last couple of matches …results have also been down to missed chances and the much talked about Sanchez error…When u r at the game ..as i was on Saturday..you’ve paid a lot of money.. it can be frustrating watching where a team are ‘getting away’ with it and rightly or wrongly when u r at the game u r going to give some verbals i dont tend to swear, its not the way i was brought up, but it doesnt stop me getting out of my seat and shouting my annoyance …as i did during the Liverpool cup game when u r have a assistant ref standing yards away from 2 incidents AMac and EF and yet seems oblivious as to what happened …is this the consequence of players going down to easily or as is said being clever? Either way it wont stop me jumping out of my seat.

Grass roots….fortunately when i go watch my grandson its all dealt with by the littleuns/parents/coaches/refs very well…but then he is only on the cusp of being 7….but one only needs to read social media/press to know that their are some rather unsavoury incidents and surely some of the responsibility lies with what happens in the pro game…but also will be down to society as a whole.

Now back to decorating …groan

APOLS FOR ANY SPELLING AND POOR GRAMMAR

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Answering isn’t biting, it’s discussing. So obviously the referee didn’t see anything wrong with it. That is his call.
To get the Ferguson tackle wrong when the ref was in decent view is very poor , but minutes later to get the Robertson tackle wrong as well ???.
If that is his call then he definitely needed VAR help .

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
OK i`ll bite , the implication being while poor Ferguson was being treated for that disgraceful foul the ref could have asked VAR to check the tackle , instead he did nothing !.
VAR did look at it, and they thought yellow was correct (incorrectly), so stop.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
No, your point on your need for refs to agree with you is proven. It’s no way to fix the refereeing problem though is it.

Rubbish , the sort of deflection comment i would expect from someone who knows their losing the point .

My ONLY point is we have too many mistakes because we have too many bad refs . In the last 3 games alone .
1 Rabinho should have seen red .
2 Robertson should have seen red .
3 Estupinan`s goal should have stood .
4 The ref should have cut out the constant time wasting and fake head injuries .
5 The Mitoma penalty should have been checked . If it was as has been suggested then why was Dunk asking for VAR check .

If you agree with any of these then you want the same as me , better reffing .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here