Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] divock origi

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My only concern with Origi is would he be a bit big time for us... but we have Adam in the camp who would know all about this.

Origi does fit the bill though, he has pace, good size and is more of an all round front man than our existing batch in my opinion.

I have noi idea if he is affordable wages wise.

Unlikely we'd go for him at all unless Adam gives him a clean bill of health. Attitude wise, and that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Welbeck, good as he is, will only give us half a season. I think Origi, background checks permitting, would be a good addition and I could see him and Welbeck sharing the injury and centre forward roles. Between them I think they could make the difference we are looking for. We have some good players coming back from injury who will potentially create even more chances.
Personally, I’m not that bothered about a LWB. Burn and March seem to be able to create chances down the left and be good enough defensively - our defence doesn’t seem to be an issue.
I do get worried by TB inferring that our better players may be off. If we lost White and Biss in the summer I think we may undo a lot of the progress made and not hit the heights of mid table next season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My heart would sink if we signed Origi. There's a good reason Liverpool are wanting to move him out.
I'd rather stick with Welbeck and Maupay.

Your heart would sink?! Seriously? This is up there with some of the comments on the Lingard threads.

Premier League and Champions League winning, Belgian international striker, yep definitely not good enough for Brighton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As someone who was keen for us to sign Brewster I’ll say nothing on this one!

Solanke, Brewster.... both from Liverpool for a lot of dosh and close on useless at PL level

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Say we do go for a new striker, we'd then have to make some serious decisions on the rest we have at the club. Who stays and who goes?

New striker
Maupay -- keep, unless we get a decent bid
Andone -- dunno, his fitness and frame of mind are the key issues
Connolly -- loan out to a Championship club, to sort his attitude out and, hopefully, rediscover his undoubted goalscoring qualities
Tau -- :wave:
Welbeck -- make a real effort to sign on a two year deal
Zeqiri -- continue to allow his development here with (ideally) occasional PL cameos and cup starts -- although if Andone stays and is looking up for it and the new striker is a good 'un, maybe a Championship loan is the better option. Been very impressed with him so far.

My thoughts above

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Solanke, Brewster.... both from Liverpool for a lot of dosh and close on useless at PL level

I suspect that in a couple of seasons time, their PL form/goal count will be on the up

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Both were nowhere near their first team squad. Origi has been at least on the bench regularly for at least 3 seasons AND he made an impact off that bench. He’s also got full caps, something those other strikers were miles away from. He’s leaving because he wants to start games.
Chalk and cheese IMO.

Absolute no brainer this one for me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Both were nowhere near their first team squad. Origi has been at least on the bench regularly for at least 3 seasons AND he made an impact off that bench. He’s also got full caps, something those other strikers were miles away from. He’s leaving because he wants to start games.
Chalk and cheese IMO.

Absolute no brainer this one for me.

This. Bmuff and SheffU were mugged on unproven youngsters.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
:wozza::bla:

Have you seen the difference he has made to the squad, did you see his enthusiasm when scoring ?

He has been wonderful for us this season, get over yourself.

Since October he got himself up to speed and played 24 times for us and we had played 5 league games !

Come on, he was no sick note, tired old cliche

I totally agree. Yes, I'd love to see another striker come to the club in addition to Welbeck but some people just seem to think money grows on trees.

We made a £69m loss last season, likely from what I hear to be in excess of that this season, and people seem to think we'll spends tens of millions on new players.

If Biss and White were to go then yes hopefully some of that can go towards squad strengthening, but a fair chunk (in my view) must go to pay off our losses. We just can't keep expecting 'the bank of Tony' to provide unlimited funds, it's just not sustainable.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
pretty dogshit stats considering playing in a side that create lots of chances.

Excusable if age 19 but is 26.

Not worth it for me

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me there are MASSIVE question marks over Origi.

1. Zero Premier League goals in 2020/21 - a season when Firmino was noticeably below par. Just the single goal last season and that in the League Cup.
2. Just 6 goals scored in Liverpool's title winning 2019/20 season.
3. Hasn't scored for Belgium in over six and a half years.
4. He's contracted to Liverpool for 3 more years, so they'll probably want a fee.
5. His top Prem return is 7 goals in a season; we are bleating about Maupay, who has scored 10 and 8 in his 2 seasons.

For me, this looks like a Turkey / Middle East / China-type transfer.

Not for me, Clive.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This season was a right off for him with only 9 appearances, last season he made 27, but most were as a sub. His goal to minute ratio was good though, with 1 goal every 180 mins
That equates to one goal in every two - that's as close as you like to 20 a season!

Of all the striker speculation we've seen so far in this round of pure rumours, this is the one I like the most (assuming Michael Owen.has finally said 'No').

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
NSC on signing a new striker:
1, 'finally, we've got a 20 goal a season striker'
2, said striker scores in first or second goal: 'see told you, Maupay/Welbeck/Trossard/A N Other was holding us back -- it was obvious we needed someone that could do the only thing a striker needs to do'
3, new striker gets injury and/or suffers barren patch: 'never rated X'
4, new striker goes on another barren patch: 'what a waste of money, get rid, I've always said we need a 20 goal a season striker'
5, lots of new alternatives punted on various NSC threads: 'this player looks like a 20 goal a season striker'
6, repeat of stages 1 to 5

Hard to disagree, and I’m probably as guilty as anyone.....

You did miss, lacks presence/pace/no touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
LOL.

As an aside, we won’t get a 20 goal a season striker. 15 would be brilliant.

13-15 is my expectation for a striker, that can include pens for any anti-Ashley Barnes, pens don’t count merchants[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here