Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Disappointed commentators

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone else notice this with our game yesterday? I had Jonny and Warren on with the TV on mute but from the MOTD2 bit and the Sky highlights you can feel the disappointment when we score. Tyler’s virtually on the Valium. Even the pirate clips from abroad on Twitter seemed downbeat, even compared to the MacAllister pen against Man U last week.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The big story of the day, title race goes down to the wire, nailbiting finish to the season, got ruined by little old Brighton.

It just leaves the media with crumbs. Neither the josstle for European places, or the battle to avoid relegation, have much to grab the attention of the neutral fan. Sadly it means an early focus on transfer speculation. We just need to exist within our own little happy bubble for the rest of May at least.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Agreed. Have had sky football on all morning. You would almost think that the game never happened yesterday. A few commentators airing views about missing a title chance, not sure that the goals have been relayed once. Plenty of chat about Arsenal losing........................not a lot about Brighton winning. Certainly feels like we wrecked their big moment at sky. Almost feels as if the game was on BT not Sky.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The TV stations can't have it both ways. They billed Arsenal vs Man City as the title decider - City won, so what do they expect?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BBC (MOTD) commentator, yes I know it was only highlights, imho was biased towards Arse or at least had a narrative in his mind of a wonderful Arse taking us to the cleaners. Over the top one-sided glowing praise for them. Until the Enciso goal.

From then on in Mr Narrative did a 180 with heaps of negativity on them.

I’m sure there was a time where commentators simply described, poetically, the action in front of them. Peter Jones, Bryan Butler.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As others have said, it's no slight on us. It's more to do with the fact that, once again, the petro-state has steamrollered the league with games to spare and for all the "best league in the world" talk, Sky know full well that it's City's to lose every season. 5 out of the last 6 now I believe.

Some might say that the most exciting thing about the Premier League is rarely anything to do with the title and more what happens below. Anyone can beat anyone is generally true, but clubs rarely beat City.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Its because the broadcasters wanted last day drama again- its a slightly underwhelming end to what has been a pretty remarkable season for Arsenal.

Just means now that the media’s attention will turn to other ‘sub-competitions’, ie the relegation battle and the race for Europe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Have had sky football on all morning. You would almost think that the game never happened yesterday. A few commentators airing views about missing a title chance, not sure that the goals have been relayed once. Plenty of chat about Arsenal losing........................not a lot about Brighton winning. Certainly feels like we wrecked their big moment at sky. Almost feels as if the game was on BT not Sky.
They move on swiftly to the next event to hyperbolise.

“Breaking news … Pochettino joining Chelsea”.

Which they’ll do on repeat for 10 days, tricking viewers that there’s something new to announce.

With briefings on repeat from the faux stern-faced tw@ts Kaveh and Dharmesh.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How I miss John Motson’s unbiased commentating. Seems to me whenever we play a NAME team, doesn’t even have to be top six, even a minnow like Fulham :) or Bournemouth/Brentford the commentators seem to be gagging for them to score. It could just be me of course.

I too thought they were completely behind Arsenal winning this, even after we scored. Gary Neville was fantastic in his praise of us though, and Keane too seemed pretty impressed. Funny it’s most of the ex professionals who get what we are about.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As others have said, it's no slight on us. It's more to do with the fact that, once again, the petro-state has steamrollered the league with games to spare and for all the "best league in the world" talk, Sky know full well that it's City's to lose every season. 5 out of the last 6 now I believe.

Some might say that the most exciting thing about the Premier League is rarely anything to do with the title and more what happens below. Anyone can beat anyone is generally true, but clubs rarely beat City.
This is definitely true. They'll try to make out that City inevitably beating Chelsea is a big deal, ignoring the fact that they'd have picked up the required points in their next 2 games if they didn't. However, by far biggest deal over the next 2 weekends revolves around which other 2 clubs will get relegated; secondary to that who'll qualify for the various European tournaments.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The back pages of the national papers were exactly the same. Narrative was all about the title and pics of City and Arsenal players. To be honest, I get it. The narrative has been about the top two clubs – they have earned the right over the season to have all the coverage and the fallout from the results. Doesn't mean I agree with it, though. There were two teams playing at the Emirates yesterday, but to completely ignore the one who won for a large chunk of time right after the final whistle was a bit off. But they have an angle and, let's face it, more people interested in the title (and/or Arsenal's downfall) than the Mighty Seagulls.

Dig a bit deeper though – or cast the net further (no pun intended) – and you'll find some top quality coverage and (deserved) praise for #TeamsLikeBrighton.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The stream I watched had Lee Dixon and he banged on about how amazing we were all game. He complimented our positions, our press, our defence, how ruthless we're becoming and just how badly Arsenal couldn't handle how we play. He said we're a joy to watch as nobody plays how we play.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone else notice this with our game yesterday? I had Jonny and Warren on with the TV on mute but from the MOTD2 bit and the Sky highlights you can feel the disappointment when we score. Tyler’s virtually on the Valium. Even the pirate clips from abroad on Twitter seemed downbeat, even compared to the MacAllister pen against Man U last week.
It was clear and as many agreed on the other thread where I wrote this it was as of the commentary didn’t fit the pictures. Truely bizarre - talking Tyler here - dunno why people are digging at you for this post tbh!

Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here