Did you play with a famous footballer at school or sunday league teams.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Played basketball against McPhee dad he was 6ft7inches in police team at Brighton police Station shit gym he kept pushing me so thumped him he ,also played for Brighton Chevron got away with that one. Sat behind him when his son was playing at Withdean .for the Albion

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Russell Martin was in my year at Varndean and I played in the school team with him. Also played against him on Sundays when him and Gary Elphick were at woodingdean.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
I play for a social team started by mates in the late 80s. Aim was to play in every county in England (completed 2011), every country in Europe (1989 map) and on every continent. We've played in over 40 countries and have come up against lots of ex-pros. Nicest was Thomas Gustafsson, once of Coventry, among others. Had no knees after serious injury in Euros playing for Sweden. Quality though. And enjoyed a beer.

Next "away" match is in Dubai in October if anyone fancies it...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Played with and against Paul Parker (Sussex CCC) at footie and cricket when at school. He was also rather good at rugby too. We had some handy players but Parker was one of those naturally talented athletes who was on a different level to the rest.

It was a pleasure to see him elevate the art of cover fielding for Sussex. You took a real risk if you fancied a sharp single against his arm.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Went to school with Darren Freeman,who i have known since i was 8 and Ross Johnson,who i also have known since about the same age-don't see Ross anymore but occasionally keep in touch with Darren.

So famous in these parts.

Oh yes and i have played as well,as i was rather good myself,just lacked the fitness back then.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Played with adam el abe at saltdean. We also played in same team as ryan moore at the same time as well he has turned out a pretty decent jockey.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Had a kick about with mike small (wish park)
Used to let jack dineen play with us (vale park) he played a couple of 1st team games in the late 80's
Played against Kim grant at school (played for charlton & Luton

Used to play with the lads from gars resturant against a team of chris wetherstones (wetherstone properties)
After losing a couple of games chris wetherstone turned up with Dean Wilkins & a couple of reserve team players.
This was when Wilkins was club captain.I distinctly remember thinking that Wilkins (who was often seen as a bit porky) was breathless compared to us

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Not so famous, but Glen Geard stands out, he was in his 40s when he made a brief comeback for Broadbridge Heath (?), I was about 17 and I just could not get the ball off him. Gary Elphick was a cut above during youth football, Adam El Abd was built like a man at the age of 14 and technically very very good.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
the closest I can get to famous is played with a lad who was on watfords books. One monday he showed up at school with a massive black eye, he was strangely proud when he told us he had been headbutted by les ferdinands cousin (later to be known as rio). Some years later he scored the winner against leeds in the fa cup for a conference side, forget which team, it was on the telly though!

so in answer to the op. no, no i didnt.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
As a youngster I played in the same team as Steve Brown(ex Charlton, and Albion youth team coach), and although he was a couple of years younger than us, Stuart Tuck trained with us as his older brother was in the team. And played regularly against Simon Rodger. Rodger was quality as a kid, and Brown was solid and reliable and worked hard to become a pro, whilst the 'stars' of the team disappeared up their own egos

That would be Bevendean Barcelona?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports