Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the Palace win win paper over some cracks?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Are you surprised? It's the same man who spent the last two weeks of the loan window on holiday and then talking to Reading after all. Nothing is more important than the Gus Show

Well, he has made himself look a real c*** by doing that and not finding the loan striker we so desperately need. It is dire that we only have Barker on the bench as a spare striker, and we can hardly expect him to come on and turn a game in our favour.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Well, he has made himself look a real c*** by doing that and not finding the loan striker we so desperately need. It is dire that we only have Barker on the bench as a spare striker, and we can hardly expect him to come on and turn a game in our favour.

its not just Gus who looks for players we have a massive scouting network that does that for him, am I am pretty sure Gus had a phone with him whilst sitting in the sun. Im dont think for one momnent he did FA whilst there and lets face facts, its not his fault that Barnes is a complete **** and the other 2 got injured.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Strange thread. We've only lost 3 league games since Xmas, beaten the top 2 and our arch rivals. I'd say our form is pretty good. Isn't it?

Gives the likes of Kev 'Poyet DEFINITELY won't be here next season (i.e. this season)' the rev a chance to carry on their usual Poyet looking for another job smear campaign though.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Our near two full seasons in the Championship have been characterised by a succession of peaks and troughs. It is no surprise that we have only taken 6 points out of the last 18 because it is now ' trough time ' This season alone, we have probably had eight such groups of matches, each lasting approx 4 to 6 games.e.g
5 games...15pts ( Aug-Sep )
7 games....4pts ( Mainly Oct )
5 games....11pts ( Nov )
5 games....3pts ( Dec )
Since Xmas, fairly similar pattern, although better run through Jan/Feb and now in trough again with 6 pts out of 18.
Forgetting the opening two games of the season, the peaks have yielded 43 pts out of 60 and the troughs 18 pts out of 54.
From Championship winning form to relegation certainties.
Up and down, high and low. The only consistency is that we always get peaks and troughs.
Lack of consistency generally means = players not good enough/too many team changes/manager tinkers too much..doesn't know his best team/ tactics too rigid.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Defeats against both Leicester and Middlesbrough could leave us struggling, so the cracks maybe there.

Beat them both and we are nearly over the line.

3 points minimum needed from those 2 matches I think, or else we may need 9 from the last 3 games.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Just got in to hear Poyet say he loves being linked to jobs.But until something comes up then he is just thinking play offs...Thanks for that Gus, would have been nice to hear something about the game instead of yourself.

Just as a minor point, was the question he was asked about what it feels like being linked to jobs?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
How long have you been saying this for now Kev? "He definitely won't be here by xxxx". It's been years. I see its gone back to next season now. I'm going to laugh when he finally does go and you come on here to tell us that you were right.

He will be at Leeds next season,if we don't go up...If we do go up it will be another prem club...There you go,,that's putting my neck on the line and I will come back and tell you i was right..lol.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fortunately for us, the rest of the top 8 seem determine to bugger it up as well. At least we're actually picking up the odd point here and there, which is more than Palace and Leicester are doing.

Last 6 games:
Forest 14 pts
Bolton 12 pts
Hull 9 pts
Cardiff 8 pts
Watford 8 pts
Palace 7 pts
Brighton 6 pts
Leicester 2 pts

To be honest though, points don't show the whole picture. For the previous 6 games we had 13 pts.

Take the last 10 games (16pts) and I think our form is only behind Forest, Hull and Bolton - bearing in mind we've just played both Forest and Bolton away, and frankly as I said in another post, probably deserved at least 4 pts rather than the 1 we got.

So I do agree with your point, and I'd add we are still playing well, despite results not going our way, you'd still say we are playing well enough to be winning games. I'm still feeling very confident we'll be in that top 6 at the end.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just got in to hear Poyet say he loves being linked to jobs.But until something comes up then he is just thinking play offs...Thanks for that Gus, would have been nice to hear something about the game instead of yourself.

I was irritated about that ..but then thought that he probably said a lot more and all we got to hear was the edit which suits SSN ..go to Bbc website interview and u get to hear about the game ..but then u'd miss getting a moan in lol

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
its not just Gus who looks for players we have a massive scouting network that does that for him, am I am pretty sure Gus had a phone with him whilst sitting in the sun. Im dont think for one momnent he did FA whilst there and lets face facts, its not his fault that Barnes is a complete **** and the other 2 got injured.

Indeed it is not. Far from it. HOWEVER, it is his job to make sure he gets cover for them given he has had plenty of chance to do so. He even promised to get "the best striker available" on loan as cover for Hoskins and CMS.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it papered over any cracks really, the cracks were and still are visible anyway - and even on that day we were very lucky to be 2-0 up at half-time, game-changing goals before the break.

I always get a feel for how a game will pan out in the first 10 minutes. It's not always accurate of course, because there is always a brilliant goal or crass error which you can't predict. But in terms of tempo, I was pleading with the team to pass it quicker, and be more urgent. We just weren't at it last night, and especially after Kuszczak's worldy they would have been unlucky to lose to those efforts that hit the woodwork in stoppage time.

Good defensive display from Charlton, we couldn't break them down. I would have taken Vicente off at half-time for Orlandi, never seen him so ineffectual and uninvolved, clearly wasn't his night and he looked way off match pace.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I think all it did was unleash some peoples expectations that we are not a club punching above our weight in a very competitive league with a small budget.

Its the SKY TV thing that we should be winning every game. We have come a long way very fast, and the next few games will be tricky.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We've now only picked up 6 points from the last 6 games with the solitary victory being the win over Palace. (Anything can happen in derby games, right?)

Did the elation of beating that lot from up the road cover up an otherwise below par run?

Not according to the stats. Look at the form table. Football365 - Football Stats - Football News, Views, Gossip and much more...
Barring the runs of Bolton and Notts Forest there are 15 teams that have scored 10-14 points of the last 24. We've scored 12. Had we scored one goal last night out of our many chances we'd be third in the form table.
No cracks, we're just above average and have the points to be up there. It's a ridiculously open fun league.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
No, not really. Look at the form table. Football365 - Football Stats - Football News, Views, Gossip and much more...
Barring the runs of Bolton and Notts Forest there are 15 teams that have scored 10-14 points of the last 24. We've scored 12. Had we scored one goal last night out of our many chances we'd be third in the form table.
No cracks, we're just above average and have the points to be up there. It's a ridiculously open fun league.

Wow, Blackburn look doomed by that table....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I don't think 'cracks' is a fair word to use.

We have, in my view, the strongest and most complete team since the early 80s.

Defence is v solid with 2 former England internationals playing well and a top top keeper.

Midfield has a superb holding player and a bunch of flair. Ulloa up front is the missing piece in the jigsaw.

BUT, the truth is that this division is incredibly competetitive. It's a cliche because it's true: there are no easy matches. The Palace win has rose-tinted our view, sure, as has the fact that we've moved back into the playoff places because of Leicester's poor run.

I don't see us needing to do very much different. The key is staying calm under pressure - that is where we missed out last night with 2 golden chances (Calderon and Buckley) together with 1 great save (Vicente).

Don't panic.

PG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not according to the stats. Look at the form table. Football365 - Football Stats - Football News, Views, Gossip and much more...

Don't show that to [MENTION=12740]pork pie[/MENTION], he only works to form based on 6 games....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think 'cracks' is a fair word to use.

We have, in my view, the strongest and most complete team since the early 80s.

Defence is v solid with 2 former England internationals playing well and a top top keeper.

Midfield has a superb holding player and a bunch of flair. Ulloa up front is the missing piece in the jigsaw.

BUT, the truth is that this division is incredibly competetitive. It's a cliche because it's true: there are no easy matches. The Palace win has rose-tinted our view, sure, as has the fact that we've moved back into the playoff places because of Leicester's poor run.

I don't see us needing to do very much different. The key is staying calm under pressure - that is where we missed out last night with 2 golden chances (Calderon and Buckley) together with 1 great save (Vicente).

Don't panic.

PG

I think you could make a strong case for saying it's the best ever Brighton team. With the possible exception of the third season in the top flight, they are playing a vastly superior brand of football to any I have seen including the old Division One. Which is why I'm not really buying Poyet's 'punching above our weight'. We should have more points this season from this squad, and from the way games have gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here