Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick knight

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tony Bloom has gone on record as saying that he didnt have the money to invest to the level he has now either at the time the club needed to be bought from Archer, returned to Brighton or indeed when planning permission was first granted by John Prescott.

To be fair, he was only 25 when the shit started with Archer, and 27 when we left the Goldstone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are heavily indebted to both men. Without either, we'd be a noddy club at absolute best.

I'm never going to attempt to laud one over the other. Those who try to, tend to give the impression they don't know what they're talking about.

In the spirit of this

BBC News - West Brom to be honoured by statue

I would seriously suggest a trio of Dick Knight, Tony Bloom and Martin Perry looking out over the stadium, perhaps somewhere near we walk down from the buses near the lift?

I would not so seriously suggest that we may find a sculptor doing a "3 for 2" deal!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
To be fair, he was only 25 when the shit started with Archer, and 27 when we left the Goldstone.

exactly - I'm not being critical of him. I was just trying to say that even up to relatively recently he couldnt have done the fantastic things that he has for us. That's not a criticism .

As Simster has said - we shouldn't and cannot laud one over the other. They are both the right man at the right time and have used different skill sets to make such fantatsic changes to our lives.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Dick Knight saves the football club and spends a decade of his life laboriously working with nothing, bringing us home to Withdean and then to the promised land of Falmer, winning four trophies in the process.

...and you think Tony deserves a statue because he's rich :facepalm:

Perhaps Chelsea and City should have statues of Roman and the Sheikhs respectively

Exactly.... spot on

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The problem is I don't think you can have a statue of DK without one of TB too, and TB isn't going to commission that while he is the chairman as it looks incredibly egotistical. Maybe there needs to be some sort of campaign to get both men honoured, as if it doesn't come from the club itself it would be much easier?

Perhaps it's something for fans to do. Find a sculptor, get a preliminary proposal together, taking guidance from the sculptor as to subject matter, location etc. Then put it to a vote with fans, here, Facebook, in the program etc. If sufficient interest is there, then a campaign to raise the money to do it. TB doesn't have to spend anything.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I still don't think it should be of an individual.

To have a monument or statue depicting one above all others diminishes the impact and hard work - usually unpaid - put in by people other than (in this instance) Dick Knight.

I suppose one could argue that the stadium itself is that monument, though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That could end up being a bit gay though, don't you think?

It could, but I don't see why it would have to be. I wouldn't mind seeing an appropriate abstract art installation - it would be in-keeping with us as a club doing things differently.

I want to see a great big Dick in BRONZE just next to a slightly smaller Tony.

A Dick in Bloom? Actually, no - don't go there.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

That's kind of why I suggested finding a sculpter/designer (necessarily an Albion fan), giving them the lowdown, and see what they suggest in context with the stadium, the history and those who could be recognised.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

That's kind of why I suggested finding a sculpter/designer who is not necessarily an Albion fan, giving them the lowdown, and see what they suggest in context with the stadium, the history and those who could be recognised.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Strikes me that we have two issues here.
Dick was the significant individual who pulled things together, with a number of key individuals, to save the club and give us a potential future. I'd like to see a decent plaque erected on the outside of the ground recognising him and them. Statue? I personally don't think it's appropriate to just recognise Dick, however much we are indebted to him.
The other is Tony Bloom's decision to put his money behind the club and create what we have today. TB has been recognised by several organisations. I would be surprised if he would support having a statue of himself, however small - I suspect all he wants is to be chairman of a Premier League club!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd rather have a sculpture than a statue:

e8b9529a1a1f439fb91cb9ff7411_grande.jpg
anish+kapoor+kenn.600+small.jpg

2907984090_ba528a93ee.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here